JustAnotherArtDumpage (Critiques please)

Questions, skill improvement, and respectful critique involving art assets.
Sunlit-Dreamer
Veteran
Completed: NaNo2015 Bedtime, NaNo2016 The Doll and the Spider, NaNo2017 What's Your Name?, NaNo2018 Painting Your Skin, NaNo2019 Home's Embrace, NaNo2020 Molly
Projects: NaNo2021 Cracked Moonstone
Deviantart: Sunlit-Dreamer
itch: Sunlit-Dreamer

Re: JustAnotherArtDumpage (Critiques please)

#61 Post by Sunlit-Dreamer »

Firstly, no need to worry about always coloring in the mouths. If you look over at CLAMP's artwork you can see that the characters' mouths are left white, along with Fruit's Basket and a few other manga. So it's all right if you forget every once in a while. ^^

Anyway critique time. Much better with the hands, and yes thumbs are tricky. The only reason it looks "wrong" for those who look closely is you made the thumb start a wee bit too high. But you're very close. ^^ I also really like the way you did her hair and shading, makes it more CLAMP-like. (Seeing that is Sakura my FAVE character of all time) Although there are a couple spots where you could've made the shades a little darker like you did at the one ruffle for the blue. The cherry blossoms also look lovely. However since it has a very similar shade to the skin....hmm....I think that's good. Since I recall something I read about colors from a link someone posted on this site. I'll go look for the link.

Here it is. I forgot which thread had it though. *sweatdrops* Thank goodness I remembered the title.

http://purplekecleon.deviantart.com/art ... -184642625

There. You'll understand what I mean regarding the skin and cherry blossoms colors.

Anyway on with the critique. Hmm. Her chest looks a bit off. I'm not sure how though. Maybe it's because of the way she's standing or facing....or the clothes. I'm going to have to look at other pictures of girls just to make sure since my eyes fool me sometimes.....wait wait wait! I think I see it!

Where's her center? I understand her head is slightly turned. Then there's the center between the collar bone. Which doesn't match up to the center between her chest and the bow you have around her waist. (Again I say my eyes could be fooling me) That might be why it seems a little off to me. Still going to look at other girls though just to be extra sure.

PS. She looks more like she's cosplaying as Alice. XF (And might download if that's all right with you for background on laptop)
ImageImageImageImage

JustAnotherMe
Veteran
Projects: Kuro no Chou; 0.3 Second Lunch

#62 Post by JustAnotherMe »

@Hana: THX!! I guess you could say it's... shading? More... clothe-like? I'm still trying to improve the hair. Well... maybe not now, since I'm sick and all. And my next work might b a failure, I tried some experiments on it... and... (GAH!)
And I still need whatever critiques there are, if you could really just think there's something wrong or whatever, you could always post it here!! ^w^ Thankyouuuu!!! I still will try to improve bit by bit! Gut luck to both of us!!

@Sunlit: Yes... that thumb... ugh!!
When you told me about CLAMP, I think that this drawing of Sophie looks really like CLAMP's work!! I was really attracted with Cardcaptor too!! Oh Lee!!
That tutorial!!! That's what HanaMori gave on a thread!! I learned from that too!! And yeah, I made the skin have same shade with the BG, though I think the shading could b darker. T_T
And... yeah... I realized the same thing... Her body is wrong. So wrong. But I was kinda in a bad mood, so I didn't really care to fix it... (-///-) Thx for pointing it out!! ^_^
PS too: I thought about it too <3 And don't hesitate to make it your BG. Though I still think there's a hella lot of pics out there that's much much better than mine... >3<

@Veniae:
...a failed guinea pig... Sorry...
Attachments
Veniae.jpg
You are bigger than what you think but smaller than you can imagine.
0.3 second lunch

TsukiShima
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Heartful Memory

#63 Post by TsukiShima »

You challenged yourself to do the tears, eh? You're such a brave one, talented too. I see you already losing those black lines, wow, good job! You won't be needing them anymore? You improved very fast if you ask me.

The hair is great, the eyes are wonderful, the facial expression is priceless, only the neck is too long and too thin to me, in real life I think it won't be able to support the head. I think the problem is the right side of the shoulder and neck..

Overall it's beautiful in my eyes. No complains from me! ^^b

....So tell me how you did the tears? o:

JustAnotherMe
Veteran

#64 Post by JustAnotherMe »

@Hana: Yeah, I'm sick after all... Can't redo some mistakes... And I tried some tips I've got in the "FASTER drawing" kind of thread of mine. It still no good. I guess you could apply the non-layout thing just if you've mastered how to draw, or figure that out for yourself 'eh? Browsed some tutorials anddddd, now I really want SAI. Never knew about that before. And I'm so wanting a water tool in photoshop!!! TT_TT

Hehehe, that tear? Yeah, just use a few opacity, leave it just like... 10% or something. If you're not really sure, do it in a separate layer. make a line, imagine what a water looks like. A clear water of course ;p and brush it over and over again at the... what's that? Near layout? Hmmm, I guess you must make the side that gets light to be whiter. Then, until you get somehow a thick enough white, while being blur, if you see somehow too many white on some parts, use eraser with opacity reduced until 10 -15% or sth. Wipe that. Change into brush again, with white ink, and this time, change the opacity to almost max, and give a "shiny" feeling. After that, you might want to add a black shadow at the outside of the tear, with only 1% or sth, really, please make it really, really transparent (you could make it not black but a grey one so it's just leave a really transparent shadow) and yeah, brush at some places you think it's needed.

XD, so much explanation just for a little tear eh? Hope I can help!!
0.3 second lunch

TsukiShima
Miko-Class Veteran

#65 Post by TsukiShima »

If you want portable SAI, which what I'm using now, I guess you can get it here: http://www.4shared.com/file/tKADsXLs/Pa ... table.html
It has all what basic SAI has, but I'm not sure what it is lacking of, it's work just fine for me. I used Photoshop only to add texture or edit things, because Photoshop lags for me. Yes, it has Water Tool too.

I'll try to do that JAM! If I'm having trouble, I hope you won't mind me dropping by and asking you for some help! Thank you!

JustAnotherMe
Veteran

#66 Post by JustAnotherMe »

@HanaMori: there's a water tool in photoshop?
Gahahahaha!! Then I don't need to use SAI? Bcoz I saw at a... thread that we can't in photoshop. Or am I misunderstanding something? :mrgreen:
You can drop by anytime if you have problems XD

And yeah, here's another so-so attempt at following an instruction at youtube.
Attachments
try.jpg
0.3 second lunch

TsukiShima
Miko-Class Veteran

#67 Post by TsukiShima »

Oh, no, no, I'm not sure if Photoshop have water brush. But that SAI from the link I gave you have it.

And wow, that seemed awesome! The atmosphere is good, but the black thing is a bit weird to my eyes. What is it?

JustAnotherMe
Veteran

#68 Post by JustAnotherMe »

@Hana: LOL, it's supposed to b an empty soul of hers. I saw that on youtube, but kind of lazy to edit thatt ^_^

The problem I have though: I kind of using mac for all of my works. And I tried some converter named 'cross over' that could make windows program to run on mac. But yeah. Failed. I must change into windows, then mac then windows then mac,etc. Coz my laptop being parted to 'mac and windows', and my windows memory is kinda full.
I'm interested in the water tool and curve tool ^_^ I can make my layout so tidy with that thing!! And I bet I can b pretty fast with that. <333
0.3 second lunch

Sunlit-Dreamer
Veteran
Completed: NaNo2015 Bedtime, NaNo2016 The Doll and the Spider, NaNo2017 What's Your Name?, NaNo2018 Painting Your Skin, NaNo2019 Home's Embrace, NaNo2020 Molly

#69 Post by Sunlit-Dreamer »

Hmm, won't be very "critique-ish" since these two styles are not exactly my specialty.

1. Wavy hair~ And love the shading, looks very natural. ^^ Nice job with the ear as well, since they're very tricky.

2. Shiiiiiiiiiiiiny~~~~~~ Nicely done with how you do the hair, makes it realistic in a way. In a pretty, shiny way~ And the eyes really do match that black blob of her soul. o.o Although....not sure, but is her right eye and brow a teensy bit further from the nose than the left? I can't really tell. Oh I see the problem. It's a tiny bit higher. Balancing....so very tricky.
ImageImageImageImage

JustAnotherMe
Veteran

#70 Post by JustAnotherMe »

@Sunlit:
1. Yeahh... that ear! XF
2. Ugh! I just realized it @_@ I drew this without layout, and just kind of brush brush brush without thinking and no erasing or editing. I can't believe myself when I realized after finishing this pic that I just used 2 layers in total!!! And yeah... her eyes just not in place. The neck is too small (still too small like the one before) and dunno... maybe the face is just too pointy?? And really, I haven't get a hold to balancing the proportions. Gonna try a little something next time!!! XD

THANKS SUNLIT!!!! >o<
0.3 second lunch

Celestine
Veteran

#71 Post by Celestine »

Maid :D

Pretty maid but her lips look a little pale. The headband bow nice touch and wonderful smiling face. My bad though I thought those were fluffy pink-blue clouds behind her before reading it was a sakura trees leaves. But wonderful picture.

Green lady floaty lights :mrgreen:

Cool lady looks real enough in the dark. Keep thinking she's going to move.
But the blot in the middle made me think that was blood dropped on top of a picture. The blot reminds me she's not going to come out of the screen.

Your art seems to sometimes have this kinda 3D effect on me, it's really something 8)
Iratherbeweird,thencalledstrange.
MydadtaughtmeinLifeEverything[/i]has consequences.Good and Bad actions/decision.

JustAnotherMe
Veteran

#72 Post by JustAnotherMe »

@Celestine:
Maid. Yay!! success!! pink-blue cloud? TT_TT /fail
Yehh, I wasn't in the mood to draw a realistic sakura tree that time. I hope my mood not gonna change so quickly.
I'm suck at coloring lips. Too. Among other weaknesses of mine. I'll try to draw a beautiful lips next time!!! ^-^

Cool lady: 3D effect?! WOW!!! Glad to hear it!!! I pray she would eventually come to you and give you some nightmares!!! XD
first time drawing with SAI and windows
first time drawing with SAI and windows
Okay, so, here it is. My first drawing with SAI. I know I must focus on my piano now, but I can't help but wondering what SAI can offer to me. And it's like you must painting with watercolor on paper when you usually paint with acrylic on canvas. It's a hell!! I need to look up at some tutorials I guess. I just don't know what tools for what and it's actually different when drawing in mac and windows. The tablet movement is different too. The keyboard shortcut is different too. I keep thinking I'd give up on SAI, but I guess I'm too persistent after all.

Can anyone give me help on good tutorials with SAI?
Last edited by JustAnotherMe on Fri Oct 28, 2011 3:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
0.3 second lunch

JustAnotherMe
Veteran

#73 Post by JustAnotherMe »

I'll just bump it anyway, so anyone can look at this thread and maybe give me some help. >_<
0.3 second lunch

Sunlit-Dreamer
Veteran

#74 Post by Sunlit-Dreamer »

Well unfortunately I can't offer any advice concerning SAI. But I'm pretty sure you'll find some other SAI users around the site that occasionally tell how they accomplish their work. ^^

MUCH better with the arms and hands, looks very natural! Wrist is right, fingers are slightly curved as they usually are for most people, and the thumb starts at the right place. You even show....I don't know what to call it but I know that it's right. The part of the hand where the pinky connects, blah.

You even got her anatomy down! No question about where her center is at all and her body itself looks balanced. Even the string follows the center line as it should when it criss crosses. The shading looks lovely overall, although I'm not sure if the shading for the white ruffles is dark enough or not in some areas. Again I say not sure, a more experienced shader would be able to tell more easily than I could.

Haha, with her hairstyle I'm sorta reminded of Miku. I just know every really long haired pig tailed girl will...nice details with the bows and hair. I can clearly see you showing the hair pulling towards the bow. I'll have to look at someone having a hairstyle like that to double check the lower part.

Only part that seems to be the most trouble to me is her eyebrows. Sure, the hair could be covering the left one. But since it's a bit thick, shouldn't a teensy part show? Hmm...
ImageImageImageImage

Tag-
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Circo della Sera

#75 Post by Tag- »

Here are a few I found on deviantart. I wasn't sure what advice you needed exactly for SAI, so instead of me explaining everything in a jumbled way, I went and found some to explain for you xD

http://ladysketcher.deviantart.com/art/ ... ials&qo=29 (Lineart)
http://dymaraway.deviantart.com/art/Col ... rials&qo=2 (Colouring)
http://breisa.deviantart.com/art/Painto ... ials&qo=16 (Colouring)
http://deamond89.deviantart.com/art/Hai ... ials&qo=14 (Hair colouring)
http://juu-yuki.deviantart.com/art/Juu- ... ials&qo=31 (CG colouring)
http://bloodline-009.deviantart.com/art ... rials&qo=6 (Basics and tips)
http://angeleyesoblivion.deviantart.com ... -169743112 (SAI basics)
http://sterlingruinsfall337.deviantart. ... ials&qo=12 (SAI basics)

Hope at least one of these helps :D
PM me if needed