Who/What influenced your style of drawing?

Questions, skill improvement, and respectful critique involving art assets.
Katon
Regular
Completed: Death Rule:lost code (Art), Death Rule: Fear Complex (Art), Amity: One Tale (Art)
Projects: Death Rule: Killing System(Art) , Gene Codex: Genesis
Organization: MESI Games, Corpse Theater
Tumblr: corpsetheater

Re: Who/What influenced your style of drawing?

#46 Post by Katon »

Yasuda Suzuhito inspires/influences my art style. :)

modesty
Regular
Completed: Line of Heroes
Projects: Captive Finwife, Trouble Brewing, Human Experiments

#47 Post by modesty »

2D Animation that I grew up with (in the 80s and 90s) are what influences most of my art. I took some time dabbling in manga style.

I find heavy influence from Dreamworks 2D Animation, Don Bluth, and Disney "Renaissance" (Aladdin, Beauty and the Beast, The Lion King.)
For manga I was largely influenced by Sailor Moon and several (poorly drawn) how to draw manga books. After many years I broke bad habits still gleaning some general shonen style until reestablishing my roots with Disney and Dreamworks and various friends on DeviantArt.

My Old Sailor Moon Inspired Art
Got a bit better at it...
Back to the Dreamworks Style

ffs_jay
Regular
Completed: HellBounders - Act 0
Projects: HellBounders series

#48 Post by ffs_jay »

I started out mainly influenced by Nobuteru Yuki, Masamune Shirow and the manga-inspired western artist Adam Warren (who has himself developed more of an individual style in the passing years), but started developing more of a western influence as time went on. These days, I'd probably consider my main influences to be people like Jhonen Vasquez, Bruce Timm, Jamie McKelvie and Freddie Moore, with a little bit of John K in there too (though more his 'cute girl' characters than the grotesques he's best known for).

I'm never really content though, and like to keep an eye out for new stuff to inspire me all the time. I've recently been having a ball rediscovering some of the gorgeous Disney stuff from their renaissance in the late 80s and early 90s, as mentioned by modesty there in the previous post.

tuna_sushi
Veteran
Projects: BloomingBlossoms

#49 Post by tuna_sushi »

EDIT;
A lot, a lot, a lot~
But my recent drawings are inspired by:

Noizi Ito influence my drawing.(Mostly coloring) :)
Last edited by tuna_sushi on Sun May 20, 2012 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

HigurashiKira
Miko-Class Veteran

#50 Post by HigurashiKira »

Recently, I've gotten a bit influenced by Takeshi Matsu
(If you want to spare your eyesight, don't try and look for any of his works.)
I have moved to a new account. Please contact me here from now on. T/Y~

Reikun
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Mnemonic Devices, Ciikos Bridge, Helena's Flowers, The Madness
Projects: Fox in the Hollyhocks
Organization: skyharborr
itch: skyharborr

#51 Post by Reikun »

Biggest influences were Neon Genesis Evangelion , Hiroyuki Takei (Shaman King), and Amano Akira (KHR) @___@
A lot of artists I found online have influenced me too though~ *0*
ImageImageImage

fastest way to contact me: DM @skyharborr on twitter

Mahkzamilyun

#52 Post by Mahkzamilyun »

My influences come from all the big name shounen anime, like Naruto, Shaman King, Bleach, and Inuyasha- mostly stuff I watched when I was younger, as well as Ken Akamatsu (Negima, Love Hina), and some random artists I've seen here and there online. My influences are pretty generic, I would say.

clua
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Stormy Night /The Knife of the Traitor/Charlatans
Projects: The Hurtful Wall /_Salomon/Infurubia
Tumblr: notttt-che
itch: chegovia

#53 Post by clua »

Oh this is an interesting topic...Hmmm

What influenciated me at the start, well I cant really tell I've been drawing since very little, and I've seen a lot of shows which I tryed to imitate the artstyle, I think the first manga thing I tryed to copy was Sailor Moon ahaha.

But now, I guess I think I'm influenciated by 3 people

Okama(I hate lolicon! But I don't know why Okama s work made that impact on me)
I even bough this ones because I fell in love with them

Huke, wtf I didn't even liked that much his style orz(I blame vocaloid hype.)

John Baizley(what he made a website!) His covers are great inspiration for me I wish I could be this awesome someday...

I really don't know if I have a set style now, I used to think I had, but now I'm unsure.
♦WIP♦
Infurubia
The hurtful wall
_Salomon

♦COMPLETE♦
+The Knife of the Traitor(Nanoreno 2012)
+Charlatans(Nanoreno 2015)

Dev tumblr
EVN Store

Roiya
Regular
Projects: unnamed project

#54 Post by Roiya »

i think Clamp influenced me the most when i started drawing anime art because of their very detailed and beautiful art. Nowadays i admire Kazuki Yone and Hanamura mai.
My DEVIANTART=) contact me there for commisions or recruitment if you likey my art
looking for a project to join
http://roiyachan.deviantart.com/
projects i am helping:
Scattered Starlight (GxB, GxG),
feel free to contact me though if you have an interesting one^^

Auro-Cyanide
ssǝʇunoƆ ʇɹ∀
Completed: http://auro-cyanide.tumblr.com/visualnovels
Projects: Athena
Organization: Cyanide Tea
Tumblr: auro-cyanide
Deviantart: Auro-Cyanide

#55 Post by Auro-Cyanide »

Do you know someone I wish I could be influenced by? http://phobs.deviantart.com/

I wish I could soak up their style like a sponge... I seem less able to do that the older I get *cries*

Samu-kun
King of Moé
Organization: Love in Space Inc

#56 Post by Samu-kun »

I'd say I most want to be like Hanaharu Naruko.
Attachments
92052a09601317d3a7ebc2f74ba091a0.jpg

teacup
Holder of Tasty Drinks
Completed: (P)lanets - the life of normalcy has ended
Projects: Circum[N]avigate

#57 Post by teacup »

My drawing style changed a bit after I saw the art of Mutsuki Munku, she's not very famous but she did the art for some otome games.
I really like her cute way of drawing faces, so I try to imitate it >w<
As for my coloring style, I got influenced by 神剣桜花 art, whose name I don't know how to write in romaji, sorry;; [Be warned if you search that name, it is the artist of many erotic games]
But I really like the shininess of it, plus the use of gradients in the hair. I try to make my art shiny as well XD I really hope my coloring can look like this someday!
Attachments
4758-337838560.png
Last edited by teacup on Fri May 11, 2012 2:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

jeje
Regular

#58 Post by jeje »

I wish I have the patience to draw details like almost all of japanese artists. I can't seem to bring myself to spend more than 5 hours to draw 1 pic. Or maybe that's just because I'm still lacking skill (I think that's more of the reason why my drawing's suck and slow)
What influenced me first is... Clamp... I think... I first get to know manga when my friend give me xxxholic. It's when I'm still in 1st grade of junior high. After that, I absorb many styles of anime. Now, after 2 years, I don't know anymore who influence me most. (I think I just browsed through tons of tutorials and gather my guts to draw like them)

Lumen_Astrum
Dystopian Princess
Completed: Soul and Heart, Twin Faces
Projects: Soul and Heart Replay; The Court of the Two Sides (tentative title)
Organization: Lion Box Studios
Tumblr: lumenizampel

#59 Post by Lumen_Astrum »

I don't really have a specific style. But it sort of "grew up" when I was grade 6, when I was 11 years old. Before I used to imitate all those style I like to see, like Pokemon's and Inuyasha. I pretty much did very big eyes back then. XD;;; But when highschool came I was surrounded with people who like certain animes I've never heard before and people who draw also, and are obviously better than me.

One of those people in school who affected my art the most is ohmhaigosh, who, if anyone remembers, the one who did the CG sketches for Twin Faces. After our deal with her helping me of NaNoRenO, I was sort of very demotivated after because I gave her super sucky concept art to base the images with XDD So I tried "copying" her style a bit. Both her and her friend no-bunnies are both awesome people, they draw so awesomely and they're just a year older than me. While my art is getting less and less constant and it's going nowhere in particular...

I also watch animes a lot like Sailor Moon and Naruto (yes Sailor Moon), so overall, my style's a mixture of maaaaany other drawing styles. XD

That's just in drawing. My coloring changes a lot, both digitally and traditionally. Actually I got so attached to my watercolors I can barely shade properly with SAI now. XD For coloring and shading, I have to say I do like yuumei's drawing style and tried several points in my art life to copy her coloring style, without success. But I did try to mimic the way she colors eyes, which I was able to do so properly several times... And I liked the dark, emotional feel of most of her drawings (which is where most of my stories are leaning into), so I do try my best to at leat achieve a similar feel in my works :)

Zylinder
Veteran

#60 Post by Zylinder »

When I first started out, it was manga style artwork that influenced me the most. The reason I started drawing a lot (around 12 years old) was because I bought one of those How To Draw Manga books, and promptly started copying their style. It's the worst and best decision I ever made. Best, because it pushed me to draw and like drawing, and I went on to become what I am now. Worst, because it means I have close to zero anatomy knowledge and just 'wing it', or through mini tutorials and what I absorb from references.

Then as I moved on and got on DA + internet around 15+, there were so many inspirations that I (literally) couldn't decide who I wanted to be like. One week I wanted to do realism, next week I wanted to be feimo/heise (Semi-realism), and the week after that I wanted to be another artist out of the dozens I worshiped (Yuumei!). The one other thing that it did for me was that it made me move away from anime-style art. I basically ditched it overnight and tried to launch myself into semi-realism. Of course, that brought home HILARIOUS moments when I finally realize just how wrong all my anime-y face proportions were when I tried to paint them realistically...

And of course, I FINALLY stopped mocking realistic noses as 'potato noses' (Just because I couldn't do it). Yeah, you know what I mean. I stopped being one of those artists who shake their fists at everyone and yell ANIME IS ALL I EVAR NEED!!!11!

Nowadays I still don't have a clear cut inspiration/influence. I just log onto DA and whatever artist grabs at me, I'll try experimenting in their style, looking carefully at their art. Hoping their awesome will teach me something. XD