Who/What influenced your style of drawing?

Questions, skill improvement, and respectful critique involving art assets.
TsukiShima
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Heartful Memory

Who/What influenced your style of drawing?

#1 Post by TsukiShima »

I'm sure everyone feels the same. I couldn't start drawing without any references when we were younger, right? While I was reading this topic, something else came out from my mind.

When browsing back my old artworks and current ones, I realized that my style of drawing is heavily influenced by Fate/Stay Night (Nishiwaki Datto).
I tried hard (and actually still trying) to follow of how the way the characters are drawn and how the colors are placed. The illustrations are just beautiful for the eyes to see.
ImageImage
*A comparison, but... Still not reaching that level of coolness*
But now as I'm doing that, I am also in a stage where they call 'experimenting stage'. I'm trying to find my own style, by copying some various artist's styles. I'm active in dA so I keep on lurking there. This will go on until I'm finally comfortable with the style I'm with.

What about you? What or who were your drawings influenced by?

Weakjounin
Veteran

Re: Who/What influenced your style of drawing?

#2 Post by Weakjounin »

I was influenced to start drawing by dragon ball z
then brought along for a while by yugioh
and then I stopped drawing for a while
then Death Note inspired me to draw and I did that for half a year and stopped
and I recently picked up drawing again because of (endless list of manga and anime)
so yeah if you add up the times that I've been actively drawing, around 2-3 years
:D I have no examples of old work because I throw out crap drawings, which means as I improve old drawings get thrown out. The drawings I have now will probably disappear by next year this time xD

Dharma Fish
Regular
Projects: West Falls
Organization: Dharma Fish Studio

#3 Post by Dharma Fish »

Jaime Hernandez's ink work in Love and Rockets has been a huge influence on me. More recently Tony Moore's work in The Walking Dead and Ryan Kelly's beautiful brushed ink in Local have been influences. I also look at a lot of photography books. Henri Cartier-Bresson has a very unique way of capturing a scene and catching the action at it's most dramatic.
---------------------------------------------------
http://tkfanclub.blogspot.com/

Arcanum
Veteran

#4 Post by Arcanum »

A lot of DA's artists, one at a time… (Jumei, Emily Carroll, Yuni, Algenpfleger, Doubleleaf, Gobeur…) I'm still trying to figure out my particular style and like to experiment with their ways of coloring, specially, to see if something "clicks" with me.

Chorvaqueen
Regular
Projects: ID: Recollection

#5 Post by Chorvaqueen »

Newspaper comics. No really.

The "anime-style", politically correct I may, started from pokemon then it eventually evolved. Pun not intended.

JustAnotherMe
Veteran
Projects: Kuro no Chou; 0.3 Second Lunch

#6 Post by JustAnotherMe »

Sailor Moon!!! OmiGod... Those days... While I'm still drawing stick people...
You are bigger than what you think but smaller than you can imagine.
0.3 second lunch

Snow Blossom
Veteran

#7 Post by Snow Blossom »

... Archie comics... -_-

Tsundere Lightning
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: And plenty of them!

#8 Post by Tsundere Lightning »

Rumiko Takahashi. Oh, god, Rumiko Takahashi. I started drawing seriously by making Ranma 1/2 fancomics and drawing in the same style and with a similar sense of humor.
She's sun and rain: She's fire and ice. A little crazy, but it's nice.
Bliss Stage: Love is your weapon! A sci-fi visual novel about child soldiers coming of age. Kickstarter prerelease here. WIP thread here. Original tabletop game by Ben Lehman here. Tumblr here.

Death_HUG
Veteran
Projects: A Mysterious Note

#9 Post by Death_HUG »

Probably Arina Tenamura.... but my drawings used to look a lot like Sailor Moon XD

Omnificent
Veteran
Projects: FA:NG, ???

#10 Post by Omnificent »

Early Final Fantasy (the sprites, not the Amano art), Megaman (original + X), Fire Emblem art circa FE 6/7, FMA, Takeuchi Takashi (or at least his stuff circa Fate/zero). Early Final Fantasy is where I first learned how to design character outfits (lol), Megaman-style eyes were the first kind I really learned how to draw, and I like how distinct characters look from each other in the latter three, as well as how different male and female characters look from each other while still looking very appealing.

That being said, I don't think my art usually resembles any of that lol
Forever Alone: Nerds the Gathering - A brotome game. (Nerdy Valentine's Day Card and small status update 2/14/14)
Night at the Hospital - Maiden voyage of Team Snugglebunny
Skylessia: Tale of the Boon - Epic fantasy whatsit, currently on hiatus.
Viking Pipsqueak Productions Blog (under construction)

I occasionally frequently draw other people's characters. Now offering delinquentization, medievalization, and cyborgification. Hit me up in PM if you want sprites for your KN or non-ren'ai VN.

EVEN IF THE TENDONS OF MY THUMBS TEAR INTO NOTHINGNESS, EVEN IF I GO NEARSIGHTED FROM STARING TOO HARD AT THE SCREEN, EVEN IF MY BODY IS CLOSE TO COLLAPSE FROM THE 72 HOURS I HAVE GONE WITHOUT FOOD! I WILL DEFEAT YOU!

HigurashiKira
Miko-Class Veteran

#11 Post by HigurashiKira »

My style was mainly inspired by 己即是空 (Onsoku Zekuu) and his work with FLAT. That was where I started off from, trying to mimic his style.
ImageImage
I think with these two images, people can see where I get my somewhat cute style from Despite my attempts to make it more serious ;_;
I have moved to a new account. Please contact me here from now on. T/Y~

VenusEclipse
Veteran
Completed: Princess of Ruin, Frozen Essence, Heartstring Bugs
Organization: Unbroken Hours
Tumblr: unbrokenhours
Deviantart: venus-eclipse

#12 Post by VenusEclipse »

Spiderman (the one where Falisha Hardly is the first female character.)
Sailormoon
Magic Knight Rayearth
Angel Sanctuary

After that, there's too much to count.
Last edited by VenusEclipse on Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lennonhead
Regular
Projects: "Hinomaru", "I'm Not His Friend"

#13 Post by Lennonhead »

http://img268.imageshack.us/img268/1279/5673419.gif (link because biiig)

A fellow called Prio.

I can't stress how important he was to me finding my style.

His site is here: http://www.geocities.jp/showhyakka/g-top.html Use the green bar at the side to navigate. (WARNING: His art can get really weird sometimes, so be on guard for gore, a bit of sexual situations, and generally completely deranged images.)

Other influences:

Mizmaru: Japanese artist, you might recognise him as the artist for the video of Gyakuzai Koushinkyoku by Vocaloid producer Machigerita-P.
Andrew Hussie: As you probably know, author of MS Paint Adventures, as well as a lot of other things. I love how dynamic his art is, with (usually) minimal detail.
Suehiro Maruo: Realistic style, violent subject matter.
Old cartoons and comics: Both Japanese and American.

Isn't it funny how my influences are mainly violent but I don't draw that kind of stuff too much?

Auro-Cyanide
ssǝʇunoƆ ʇɹ∀
Completed: http://auro-cyanide.tumblr.com/visualnovels
Projects: Athena
Organization: Cyanide Tea
Tumblr: auro-cyanide
Deviantart: Auro-Cyanide

#14 Post by Auro-Cyanide »

I've taken on so many references I just don't remember them anymore -.- Lots and lots of random DA artists, comic artists, painters, graphic designers, you name it and I have probably stolen at least one thing.

I can tell you what did start me seriously starting to draw and that was the artwork for Jak and Daxter. I absolutly feel in love with game design and character design after that and it started me on the road I am on now. Currently I pick up inspiration depending on what I am doing. When I was doing digital painting I looked into digital painiters like Loish and Marta. I usually pick out people that are doing work that feels the same way I want my work to feel and go from there.

emovampire1
Projects: Truth or Dare

#15 Post by emovampire1 »

Yoshiki Nakamura (author of Skip Beat!) and Yuna Kagesaki (author of Chibi Vampire). =] theyre so good...