Who/What influenced your style of drawing?

Questions, skill improvement, and respectful critique involving art assets.
Himekinori
Regular

Re: Who/What influenced your style of drawing?

#31 Post by Himekinori »

I still dont have fixed my drawing style yet O-O

wingzofdarkness
Regular
Completed: Lads in Distress (NaNoReNo16 demo), Straight Up: Sister-zoned!

#32 Post by wingzofdarkness »

I've had MULTIPLE influences depending on the style I am working with. I enjoy semi-realism the most so there are quite a few of them not listed, but these are the major ones.
(I love these people, but of course I am not talented, or a pro like them.)
Imageshuangwen ImageNegshin Imagevalleyhu Imagefeimo Imageyumix

As for anime, I am not so crazy about it. I only recently started drawing anime so I do not have a lot of favorites. If I do work with anime, I tend to stick with a semi-realism type of drawing with a flatter coloring style influenced by deviantart artists.
Imageyuumei Imagemrsloth Imageangelskully

Usually for anime I am influenced by these fellow beautiful otome artists.
Yone Kazuki
ImageHiiro no Kakera ImageHakuouki
Kagerou Usuga
ImageWill O'wisp ImageWand of Fortune ImageEdel Blume
MIKO
ImageArcobaleno ImageMoujuutsukai to Ouji-sama
Ike
ImageHiiro no Kakera 4 ImageArmen Noir

Yup. A lot of influences...

15385bic
Miko-Class Veteran

#33 Post by 15385bic »

Yeah i have a lot of manga/anime influences
all started with sailormoon though ^^'

AND OMG @wingzofdarkness
Agree with all the pics above - they are gorgeous no matter which style

wingzofdarkness
Regular
Completed: Lads in Distress (NaNoReNo16 demo), Straight Up: Sister-zoned!

#34 Post by wingzofdarkness »

@15385bic: Yay! xD I only wish they had some sort of tutorial because they are gosh pretty!

I also love this style by 小強. Might try to aim for this type of illustration because it's too cool to pass on.
Image Image Image

OtomeWeekend
Eileen-Class Veteran

#35 Post by OtomeWeekend »

*Le post no more related :P
Last edited by OtomeWeekend on Sat Feb 11, 2012 3:52 am, edited 2 times in total.
"The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is the attribute of the strong." ---Mahatma Gandhi

I no longer use this account. Please refer to my new account, enta if you want to contact me. Thank you.

Sapphi
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Boku no Taisetsu na Yumeko
Projects: Twelve, PAW ★ PRINTS
Organization: Kitsch-soft

#36 Post by Sapphi »

I've had many influences, but two of my biggest have been Leiji Matsumoto (GE999, Harlock, Yamato, etc.) and Kouta Hirano (Hellsing, Drifters). I'm really drawn to stark contrast, lots of small detail, and heavily varying weight of line. I also really love the fact that both of these artists have a certain "looseness" to their style. I know it puts a lot of people off (in Matsumoto's case especially), but I prefer expression of mood over technical perfection.

Also, Hirano showed me it is perfectly fine to give half of your cast of characters cool eyewear just for the heck of it, and to draw gratuitous blush marks.

(Don't consider my avatar as a particularly good example of anything I am saying except for the glasses... there I was attempting to emulate standard moe VN style.)
"It is [the writer's] privilege to help man endure by lifting his heart,
by reminding him of the courage and honor and hope and pride
and compassion and pity and sacrifice which have been the glory of his past."
— William Faulkner
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬..+X+..▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

HigurashiKira
Miko-Class Veteran

#37 Post by HigurashiKira »

Chorvaqueen wrote:/randomidea

post your oldest surviving drawing then put it on a comparison with your latest or in increments of x years
This can only lead to pain and suffering. But I'll bite.

Oldest (2 years ago):
Shion Sonozaki...<br />/seppuku
Shion Sonozaki...
/seppuku
Mid-Oldest (1.5 years ago):
Some random guy<br />/seppuku
Some random guy
/seppuku
Middle (1 year ago):
Another random dude
Another random dude
Young (6 months ago):
Last random dude
Last random dude
And you can look in the dump thread for my most recent drawings.

BoT: I'm the only one here that was inspired by a hentai artist of all things. :oops: *hides in shame*
I have moved to a new account. Please contact me here from now on. T/Y~

Sapphi
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Boku no Taisetsu na Yumeko
Projects: Twelve, PAW ★ PRINTS
Organization: Kitsch-soft

#38 Post by Sapphi »

Hey, major anatomical problems aside, your first drawing is really cute!
HigurashiKira wrote: BoT: I'm the only one here that was inspired by a hentai artist of all things. :oops: *hides in shame*
Well, Kouta Hirano started out as an H-artist too.
I think because H-artists have to sell their work largely based on how well it turns people on, they are forced to develop a style which portrays characters in a very attractive way. So even when they draw non-H stuff, that attractiveness is still there. Even though I don't like hentai, I love the art styles it seems to encourage.
"It is [the writer's] privilege to help man endure by lifting his heart,
by reminding him of the courage and honor and hope and pride
and compassion and pity and sacrifice which have been the glory of his past."
— William Faulkner
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬..+X+..▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

TsukiShima
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Heartful Memory

#39 Post by TsukiShima »

Fawn wrote:My inspirations are mostly eroge/hentai artists =v=;; I'll keep the pictures g-rated though... Look up more of their art at your own risk; I suggest using safebooru.
HigurashiKira wrote: BoT: I'm the only one here that was inspired by a hentai artist of all things. :oops: *hides in shame*
Haha, so you're not really alone HK. Don't worry about it, inspiration and motivation comes anywhere.
Chorvaqueen wrote:/randomidea

post your oldest surviving drawing then put it on a comparison with your latest or in increments of x years
Maybe this is a little out of topic but... maybe someone should make a thread for this as well. It would be interesting.

Tetiel
Regular
Projects: Anton's Vacation EP 1 and 2 + Rising Angels (CGs/Character Selection), Katajion Kinetic Monthly (character sprites)

#40 Post by Tetiel »

Well this has been bumped so I figure it's fair game I hope? (by the way, what a great story, LWR. I lol'd!)

I started out with Sailor Moon. I was making and drawing my own "fan-senshi" since I was about 8. I even made my own version of Sailor Neptune before I knew there was one xD I later got into Slayers and Ah! Megami-sama! which introduced me to Kosuke Fujishima who still inspires me today. I absolute LOVE his character designs in the Tales series. Later, I got inspired by games like Princess Maker and artists like Carnelian. Now I follow Nardack, Tearfish, H2SO4, among others. They've inspired me with their insane amount of detail :p

OtomeWeekend
Eileen-Class Veteran

#41 Post by OtomeWeekend »

Ahem, I think I felt like somethings amiss in my post earlier so decided to redo it. B)
Hm, what influence me heavily is otome game artists...
-Hirotaka Maeda(Vitamin Series, Lucian Bees Series, Renai Banchou Series, Tokyo Yamanote Series)
-Kazuki Yone(Hiiro no Kakera, Hakuouki, Hanaoni)
-Miko(Arcobaleno!, Moujuutsukai to Ouji-sama)
-Kurahana Chinatsu(Uta no Prince-sama, Togainu no Chi)
-Komatsubara Rieko(TMGS Series)
-Kawahito Yasutake(Storm Lover, Little Anchor)
-Yura(Lucky Dog 1, Love Revo, Real Rode)
Right now, I'm GREATLY influenced by Hirotaka Maeda(maybe because I'm having a rejet marathon)

Then, manga artists....
-Konomi Takeshi(Prince of tennis)
-Tomoko Hayakawa(Yamato Nadeshiko Shichi Henge) (Around gr. 6, I drew exactly like her... I was so addicted in that anime at that time)
-Yamada Shiro(Kamitoki no Resist)
- Odagiri Hotaru(Uragiri wa Boku no Namae wo Shitteru)
-Usually artists from Asuka(a manga magazine I buy every month)

Would have added Kazuaki here but while I do I like her art style, I don't think it influenced anything on how I draw. : P

Er... first of all, the way I draw men right now were greatly influenced by yura, I love how she draw them so I tried my best to draw like that too...... SOMEHOW managed to draw squarey guys instead of girlish :P Then right now, the way I drew eyes were by Maeda, I don't even want to bother why it ended like that but I really like how he does the eyes...thus, me striving to be able to draw like that too....

I've been inspired by a lot of stuff too... 7 years ago, I remember having this kirarin revolution on my head and I've drawn a lot of kirarin's drawings.... If my grandma hasn't thrown it, it was still in my room back at philippines. : P
"The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is the attribute of the strong." ---Mahatma Gandhi

I no longer use this account. Please refer to my new account, enta if you want to contact me. Thank you.

silenteve
Veteran
Projects: Forgotten and Remembered, Scarecrow, I Will Be Waiting, Hidden in Spring, Juliette, L.O.S.E.R, The Sky Will Fall

#42 Post by silenteve »

My style changes with whatever I'm reading at the moment.
But it started with Arina Tanemura and Yuu Watase (Back in the day when I still liked them :p)
Then I slowly started turning to CLAMP drawings after reading Cardcaptors and Rayearth and then my drawings began to mimic Bleach because I was watching it on TV.
After that I started to look towards josei/shoujo and gothic artists because I found their work very beautiful and realistic; Such as Kimi wa Petto and Nana, and Godchild and Dokuhime.
Now, my style is very inconsistent because I keep relapsing into old styles while trying to draw the same character in different poses. -_- I'd say my art is now inspired by Karneval, Bleach, K-ON!, Hunter x Hunter, and some Nana.
My DeviantArt / Le Tumblr Development Blog
Current Projects:Forgotten and Remembered & Scarecrow
(Failed)NaNoReNo Project: Working on Hidden in Spring w/five lovely team members :D

nyaatrap
Crawling Chaos

#43 Post by nyaatrap »

I started drawing after watched anime seitokai no ichizon. Therefore my drawing is basically based on its designers: inugami kira & horii kumi. I did hundreds of imitative drawings of their artworks.

peong-keu
Regular
Completed: My Magical Cosplay Cafe • Novus Magus Amorous
Tumblr: saeun
Deviantart: saeun

#44 Post by peong-keu »

Tsundere Lightning wrote:Rumiko Takahashi. Oh, god, Rumiko Takahashi.
For me too, Rumiko Takahashi! (-º□º-) My traditional inking is based 100% on Ranma 1/2 and Urusei Yatsura
early influences were from a bunch of Korean shows/comics, Crayon Boy Shin-Chan, and Hayao Miyazaki

Clamp and a bunch of artists on Pixiv and some on DA, and Deji (of this forum) too
ヘ(゚∀゚*)ノ I think all those influences are visible even in what Im making right now (screenshot clip)

#1 not-really-obvious influence : Moyoco Anno is my favorite, author of Sugar Sugar Rune

Loveli
Regular

#45 Post by Loveli »

My original style was totally inspired by Taeshi's (author of a web comic named Bittersweet Candy Bowl). I used to read the comic when I was really young, her style has improved a lot since does days and mine too so they are not that alike any more, but I liked her style so much I was able to practically replicate it... Of course then I molded it how I liked and got my own style. But that was years ago, when I was still just a lil' kid of 10 years...

Now, well there are some other artists influencing me right now, since my style was pretty much settled until a couple of months ago, it had part of it's origin and parts of mangas I liked and I had a chibi style based on it too. But resently I have come to dislike it... so I have been going overhauling on it. I started to think my style was childish, androgynous (barely a diference between boys and girls) and even age neutral D: (no difference beside the size between kids and adolescents...). So I have started to search for a more mature style and so on... I think the one I had was too cartoonish also... I am still not completely content but it's better now I think xD

As for other influences I like the style of the manga Bokura Ga Ita, also the style of Tooyama Emma, the mangaka of Watashi ni xx shinasai. There are some others but I can't remmember them exactly rigth now...

Well yeah that's it. By the way I still love Taeshi's comic :)
Just a tip, ALWAYS read the traceback when an error occurs... Even if you say you don't really understand it, it may give you a hint as to what is wrong whit your script :) trust me... I have "Been There, Done That!" :D