Who/What influenced your style of drawing?

Questions, skill improvement, and respectful critique involving art assets.
Obscura
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Coming Out On Top

Re: Who/What influenced your style of drawing?

#76 Post by Obscura »

The first thing I ever drew with any seriousness was when I was 5 or 6 and I copied the manga-style girls my aunts used to draw.

After that, it was pretty much downhill from there. :lol:

In all honesty, I've never tried really copying anybody else or have become influenced consciously by any one particular style. Which is unfortunate, because I think either of those things really helps make you a more skilled artist in the end. The people who have influenced me were all the art teachers I've had who showed me their tricks, techniques, etc.

Having said that, there are two comic book artists whose styles I WISH I could emulate: Maurice Vellekoop and Daniel Clowes.

I love Vellekoop's charming, wispy drawings: http://www.mauricevellekoop.com/Cartoons.php

And I love Daniel Clowes' characters, who always look slightly creepy and off-center: http://danielclowes.com/works.html
Coming Out On Top - An Adult Gay Dating Sim
website

pricklish
Regular
Organization: None

#77 Post by pricklish »

Most people that inspired my drawing style are DeviantArt users.
Some people here in LemmaSoft actually inspired me, too!
Cactuses

Hijiri
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Death Rule:lost code Overdrive Edition, Where the White Doves Rest-Tsumihanseishi
Projects: Death Rule: Killing System
Organization: MESI Games
IRC Nick: Hizi
Tumblr: mesigames
itch: hijiri

#78 Post by Hijiri »

If there's one style I wish I could emulate, it would be this.
This artist's style takes some of the best things from American comic styles and manga styles and melds them into something so...appealing.
Image Image
"Perfection goal that always changes. Can pursue, cannot obtain."

Fungii
Veteran
Completed: Home's Embrace
Projects: Royality TV
Tumblr: fungiidraws
itch: fungii

#79 Post by Fungii »

Started off rooted in anime, like a lot of kids my age did.
Then I had this phase where I wanted to toss out all that eastern style completely, and now I think I'm somewhere in the middle? Probably drifting more to manga again though, aha. Don't mind it much anymore.

KalaCansado
Regular
Projects: The Feast of Glass

#80 Post by KalaCansado »

Umm....I think quite a lot of them influenced my style = =

First of all I think it's a anime called Rozen Maiden influenced my style, I love the cute style and the classic dresses at that time, but later,

a anime called Gintama influenced me just because I love the storyline and I totally got a fever in it..=____=

...Then I stopped watching anime for a time for some reason, then I joined DA, the artist there influenced me much and it makes me like the realism drawing style, and what I think at that time is: 'ah it always needs so much skills to draw in realism!', I try to draw in a real one for a time....that's why now my style have a little realism from now on and I think it influenced me most, not kidding.

.....Umm....but seems A+B+C...the result that three different style mix up is not good at all...
That's why now I am choosing and practice in order to make my style better XDDDDD
Last edited by KalaCansado on Sat Jun 30, 2012 10:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

uselessp
Regular
Completed: The way I live
Projects: Requiem of time, change and chase

#81 Post by uselessp »

What influenced:

-My style for drawing robots: Gundam series
-My style of drawing characters: Original

To tell the truth, I tried many styles of drawing. I tried combining every single materials into one that I thinks fit.
Although that I scrapped that idea, I was instead taught by my elder sister and my friend (They're pros) how to draw very strictly.

In the end, I finally comes up with my original styles (still upgrading due to the inefficiency of times) in my third years in middle school.
Reality is the limits dream can reach