Who/What influenced your style of drawing?

Questions, skill improvement, and respectful critique involving art assets.
LateWhiteRabbit
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: The Space Between

Re: Who/What influenced your style of drawing?

#16 Post by LateWhiteRabbit »

I steal at least one thing from every artist I think is good - been doing it my whole life. Be that line work, a way of working with colors, lighting, composition, symbolism, etc. But I'm like Auro-Cyanide; I've been doing this so long (25+ years) I can't begin to remember all the artists that have influenced me.

Recently, however, I've really taken a shining to Joshua Middleton's work:

TsukiShima
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Heartful Memory

#17 Post by TsukiShima »

It's interesting to hear that everyone have those experiences too :D It is possible to develop our own styles after a few years copying and mimicking the artists we admire.

I started from the bottom, and I'm sure everyone does. I couldn't find my old drawings when I was little, but I'll show it up when I find them later on. I love to see the 'Improvement Meme' of the awesome artists, to able to see that they were once like us too, but after years of practice, they reached their 'Golden Time', however I'm sure people will never stop improving, unless they stop.

Right now, the artist that I am inspired with is Motomi Kyousuke. Her artworks and comics are just amazing, not to mention her story as well. Her current comic 'Dengeki Daisy' or 'Electrical Daisy' is one of my fav! xD Check it out!

Her talent is just, one of the kind, really.

LateWhiteRabbit wrote: But I'm like Auro-Cyanide; I've been doing this so long (25+ years) I can't begin to remember all the artists that have influenced me.
That's really quite long, I have been drawing for about 12 years most probably.

LateWhiteRabbit
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: The Space Between

#18 Post by LateWhiteRabbit »

HanaMori wrote:
LateWhiteRabbit wrote: But I'm like Auro-Cyanide; I've been doing this so long (25+ years) I can't begin to remember all the artists that have influenced me.
Well, I started receiving private art lessons when I was 5. A commercial artist was paid to keep me underfoot a couple of afternoons a week and teach me things about color and composition, painting and drawing. My mother also did art, but more of the folk craft, painting T-shirts kind. Family trips were to art museums, so I got a lot of exposure.

I still remember, when I was 7, we were in the National Art Gallery. My mother told me she would buy me prints of my favorite pictures if I would point them out to her. I proceeded to lead her back around the museum, showing her my selections. After a handful of selections my mother stopped me and, staring at me with the kind of worried expression only an adult can give a child, struggled to choose her words before finally confronting me with "All the pictures you've picked have naked women in them." Little seven year old me nodded and replied, "Yeah. They're the prettiest to look at. Why would I want pictures of old people or trees?" :lol:

Art camps during the summer, drawing for classmates at school, etc. all followed.

A saying I heard once is this: "All children draw. Artists are those that never stopped drawing." It has certainly been true in my case.

Chorvaqueen
Regular
Projects: ID: Recollection

#19 Post by Chorvaqueen »

I've been drawing since 3. And I've been drawing on my books, bible included.

Auro-Cyanide
ssǝʇunoƆ ʇɹ∀
Completed: http://auro-cyanide.tumblr.com/visualnovels
Projects: Athena
Organization: Cyanide Tea
Tumblr: auro-cyanide
Deviantart: Auro-Cyanide

#20 Post by Auro-Cyanide »

LateWhiteRabbit wrote:
HanaMori wrote:

Though I haven't been drawing quite that long (I'm not even that old yet). I have been drawing ever since I was young, but I only count from when I was about 13 because that is around when I made a conscious effort to study and practice. So I have been at it around 8 years.

Also, I'm pretty sure the author of Dengeki Daisy is a guy, especially given their name is Kyousuke.

TsukiShima
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Heartful Memory

#21 Post by TsukiShima »

I started drawing when I was around 6, and never stopped. Though I began serious when I was 13. And even got deeper last year when I found dA and got a tablet.
Auro-Cyanide wrote:Also, I'm pretty sure the author of Dengeki Daisy is a guy, especially given their name is Kyousuke.

Aha.. Yeah, that's what I thought as well. I even had a debate with my friend about this, and I keep saying Kyousuke is a 'he'. I even dug up some information, only to prove myself wrong.

http://www.mangaupdates.com/authors.html?id=1027

But.. that didn't stop me from being her fan.

Auro-Cyanide
ssǝʇunoƆ ʇɹ∀
Completed: http://auro-cyanide.tumblr.com/visualnovels
Projects: Athena
Organization: Cyanide Tea
Tumblr: auro-cyanide
Deviantart: Auro-Cyanide

#22 Post by Auro-Cyanide »

HanaMori wrote:I started drawing when I was around 6, and never stopped. Though I began serious when I was 13. And even got deeper last year when I found dA and got a tablet.
Auro-Cyanide wrote:Also, I'm pretty sure the author of Dengeki Daisy is a guy, especially given their name is Kyousuke.

Aha.. Yeah, that's what I thought as well. I even had a debate with my friend about this, and I keep saying Kyousuke is a 'he'. I even dug up some information, only to prove myself wrong.

http://www.mangaupdates.com/authors.html?id=1027

But.. that didn't stop me from being her fan.
Well that's new. Last time I checked it had said male. It seems like that isn't her real name.

Lumen_Astrum
Dystopian Princess
Completed: Soul and Heart, Twin Faces
Projects: Soul and Heart Replay; The Court of the Two Sides (tentative title)
Organization: Lion Box Studios
Tumblr: lumenizampel

#23 Post by Lumen_Astrum »

I started mimicking Pokemon when I was 6. XD

Desu_Cake
Veteran
Projects: Secret, Secret and Secret

#24 Post by Desu_Cake »

My current style is based off the work of Norihiro Yagi (creator of Claymore)

Also, Zun (Yes, that Zun)
He may be bad at proportions, and at drawing, but he is extremely good at colouring and shading.
Last edited by Desu_Cake on Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Seven
Regular

#25 Post by Seven »

Pokemon,Hitman Reborn,D-Grayman and Nurarihyon No Mago.
And Dejichan.

TakeOverWorld
Regular

#26 Post by TakeOverWorld »

I think it was probably Natsuki Takaya who influenced my style of drawing, for the most part. I didn't really draw that much before I was 7, but then my sister bought Fruits Basket around then, and I loved the style. I'd watched Sailor Moon and Dragonball Z before that, IIRC, but maybe it was because it was in book format that I was more attracted to draweing it.
I used to copy the drawings from FB allll the time back then. I think, if my sister hadn't bought that I'd never have got into manga, and probably wouldn't have gotten into art until much later, really.

Deji
Cheer Idol; Not Great at Secret Identities
Projects: http://bit.ly/2lieZsA
Organization: Sakevisual, Apple Cider, Mystery Parfait
Tumblr: DejiNyucu
Deviantart: DejiNyucu

#27 Post by Deji »

Influences I've had a bazillion, just like everybody else. A little bit of everything I've tried probably still lurks withing the things I draw.
The way I currently draw... I say I could blame it on Noizi Ito, Jinsei Kataoka/Kazuma Kondou/Kenichi Yoshida, Shigenori Soejima, Mel Kishida and a bit of Kazuaki more recently.

During my childhood, I'd mainly draw the characters on animated tv shows I liked, which ended up being mostly anime by the time I was 12-13.
Whatever I liked, I just copied the style to the best of my abilities.... or tried to draw them from memory and failed horribly (I was sure they were awesome until I looked at the source again and UGH).
Historical (from 12-13 to last year, pretty much) influence map here: http://fav.me/d2x6oex (<- it's missing Ranma 1/2, I don't know how I forgot it D:)

I didn't get "serious" (as in "I should probably learn anatomy and all...") until I entered college to study illustration (on a rather meh place that didn't teach me that much), 8 years ago. I don't think I've ever been really serious, though; I don't study nor practice a fraction of what I should.
Tumblr | Twitter
Forever busy :')
When drawing something, anything, USE REFERENCES!! Use your Google-fu!
Don't trust your memory, and don't blindly trust what others teach you either.
Research, observation, analysis, experimentation and practice are the key! (:

Mink
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Say You Love Me (Short Version), C!P (NaNo12), Lady Misfortune, NatH, W/K, MtF, SMQ, TBM, TMHK, LoC, MMDG
Projects: Stuff
Organization: Metal Orphans

#28 Post by Mink »

LateWhiteRabbit wrote:That picture.
Drugs are bad, girly. Nice art, though. His name sounds familar, I'll have to look him up.

Anyways, as for recently (by recently I mean the past few years)/what I can remember:

-Junji Ito(...u...Yeah, the manga of his I have don't spell it with a 'u'. :/). His women have a tendency to have really similar faces, but man is that some good body horror.

-Naoki Urasawa.
GESCHICT! EPSILON! NNNNNNOOOOOOOOO!!!!11!! Oh like you were going to kill off Atom/Astroboy.
-Aaron A./Aaron Alexovich. His website is here. Freakin' love Serenity Rose, man. You guys have no idea.

-Katy Towell. Her website is here. Children are scary, indeed. And evil.

Too bad I can't like, contact Yog-sothoth and trade servitude for awesome art skills.

Edit: I forgot to add Junko Mizuno to that list. Also, if you Google her, you maaay (read: probably) get some NSFW things.
Last edited by Mink on Wed Oct 19, 2011 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I will send a fully armed battalion to remind you of my love."

***Say You Love Me***Human Enough***Cheerful!Polymorph [NaNo12][Complete!]***
"Couldn't you stop this?"
"Probably, but I don't want to."

*Website, yo*

Chorvaqueen
Regular
Projects: ID: Recollection

#29 Post by Chorvaqueen »

/randomidea

post your oldest surviving drawing then put it on a comparison with your latest or in increments of x years

Fawn
Moe Imouto

#30 Post by Fawn »

My inspirations are mostly eroge/hentai artists =v=;; I'll keep the pictures g-rated though... Look up more of their art at your own risk; I suggest using safebooru.

-Mia Ikumi (co-creator and artist of Tokyo Mew Mew) was my first real inspiration to draw anime. I just love how happy her characters always look!: http://static.minitokyo.net/downloads/44/33/129194.jpg I actually got into vns cause when I saw the "dote up the cat" OP it reminded me of her style and I began researching other cute vns.

-KuuChuu Yousai was the next big inspiration, I found him through Megachu!, which I still really really want to play... I've been following his work for a few years now and his style has really evolved and improved in small ways. Compare the art of Megachu!'s op: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2GLDj28yYk to the art in the 4th makai tenshi jibril op: http://youtu.be/nBGWD-Ef8T4 to see the difference.
Again his style is just so happy looking! I love how he draws bodies, too: chubby cheeks, round curves... They just look so huggable, don't you think?

-Koutaro is my current inspiration, specially for coloring. He/she did the art for Tropical Kiss (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pj21H5Qq5Nw)? Realistic proportions, wonderful bright colors and adorable faces too! :D He/she also draws pretty good backgrounds:

If you can't tell I'm all about the cute and cuddly... hahaha...