Any full tutorial on making sprites?

Questions, skill improvement, and respectful critique involving art assets.
OtomeWeekend
Eileen-Class Veteran

Any full tutorial on making sprites?

#1 Post by OtomeWeekend »

Okay, so it's not like I haven't done a sprite before but starting to doubt my sprite-making, I'm here to heed for help from other people Dx

How do you do your sprites?

Full body? Half? At what size and resolution? How do you draw multiple poses? And approximately takes how many hours?

---argh, I'm really curious. Dx Thank you. m(_ _)m
"The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is the attribute of the strong." ---Mahatma Gandhi

I no longer use this account. Please refer to my new account, enta if you want to contact me. Thank you.

Deji
Cheer Idol; Not Great at Secret Identities
Projects: http://bit.ly/2lieZsA
Organization: Sakevisual, Apple Cider, Mystery Parfait
Tumblr: DejiNyucu
Deviantart: DejiNyucu

Re: Any full tutorial on making sprites?

#2 Post by Deji »

I draw them from the thighs up, at whatever size I want that's bigger than the final game will be, so then they can be downscaled and look better (:

My usual calculations are 1 hour for the initial sketch, 1 hour for inking, 1 hour for coloring and 1 hour for the facial expressions, though it depends on the complexity and the size of the sprite.
For small and "simple" sprites, sometimes it takes me as low as 2 hours and a half from start to finish and some other times, when the sprites are drawn at a higher resolution and I take special care of the coloring and such, it may take me up to 6 hours.

If you want more than one pose, you'd like to have them all sketched (and hopefully inked too) on the same file, and then you can crop them to individual files; that helps you keep the consistency between the poses, so it still looks like it's the same character!

I made a little "process" blog post when I made the sprite of Kuu from Ripples, maybe it'll help you? (:
http://deji.ishtera.net/blog/?p=1899
Tumblr | Twitter
Forever busy :')
When drawing something, anything, USE REFERENCES!! Use your Google-fu!
Don't trust your memory, and don't blindly trust what others teach you either.
Research, observation, analysis, experimentation and practice are the key! (:

15385bic
Miko-Class Veteran

#3 Post by 15385bic »

Deji you make it look easy QAQ
and i just love ur colouring *q*

OtomeWeekend
Eileen-Class Veteran

#4 Post by OtomeWeekend »

yeah, it looks easy but doing it is like walking in flames. Dx

Anyways, thank you very much *_* I'm going to try it!
"The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is the attribute of the strong." ---Mahatma Gandhi

I no longer use this account. Please refer to my new account, enta if you want to contact me. Thank you.

JustAnotherMe
Veteran
Projects: Kuro no Chou; 0.3 Second Lunch

#5 Post by JustAnotherMe »

Thanks Deji-chan for the tut!!! I'll try this!! I was confused on how to make expressions, but your layer order made it clear to me XD

And, thanks Otome! For bringing this topic up to the surface ^w^
You are bigger than what you think but smaller than you can imagine.
0.3 second lunch

Auro-Cyanide
ssǝʇunoƆ ʇɹ∀
Completed: http://auro-cyanide.tumblr.com/visualnovels
Projects: Athena
Organization: Cyanide Tea
Tumblr: auro-cyanide
Deviantart: Auro-Cyanide

#6 Post by Auro-Cyanide »

Plus, Deji did this step by step a little while back, which I found interesting: http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... =26&t=9518

I am interested in who she did multiple poses too. Hmmmm. Need to figure that out...

I draw thigh-knee up so that there is room to crop them if necessary for height. I draw very, very large, 300 dpi A4, half out of habit because I work in print and half out of paranoia because I might need them larger one day. I use the same method as Deji, in which I have a base layer, clothes layers, expression layers and hair layers all in different folders.

Here is a screenshot of my workplace. This is my sprite at 100% and you can see the layers on the side (though I did tidy them. I'm pretty paranoid so I tend to have sketches and stuff floating around as well in case I need them. All the clothes and body are still made up of multiple layers incase I need to edit them).
Shuuki-screen.jpg

Deji
Cheer Idol; Not Great at Secret Identities
Projects: http://bit.ly/2lieZsA
Organization: Sakevisual, Apple Cider, Mystery Parfait
Tumblr: DejiNyucu
Deviantart: DejiNyucu

#7 Post by Deji »

Wow, Auro, you draw BIG!
I draw super small XD;

Oh, right, I forgot I did that step-by-step thingie :P

Now, about the multi-poses sprites, when I drew the sprites for The Flower Shop and the ones for Winter in Fairbrook, I did each pose on its own file; I only roughly sketched the poses on the same file.
Last time I made a multi-pose character (Kurara, from PdJ), I did the three poses on the same file.
kuuspritesteps.jpg
I did the rough sketch first, then I cleaned it up enough so I could ink them, inked them, colored them and did the faces.
I didn't work on them all at the same times, though, I worked on the one in the middle first, then the one on the right and lastly the one on the left. Having the other poses right at the side on the same file helped make all the poses consistant. You can always just open the other poses on a different window and all, but for me it was much more efficient having everything on the same file.

The working size of that 3-sprites file is 1260x2016 pixels. Pretty small ^^;
Tumblr | Twitter
Forever busy :')
When drawing something, anything, USE REFERENCES!! Use your Google-fu!
Don't trust your memory, and don't blindly trust what others teach you either.
Research, observation, analysis, experimentation and practice are the key! (:

tigersmurf
Regular
Projects: From Innocence

#8 Post by tigersmurf »

Like Auro, I draw my sprites pretty huge. Usually like 3000 - 3500 pixels in height. It takes me quite awhile, but it's worth it.

And, I always go thighs and up with sprites, except my current project features a few children characters that I am drawing waist up.

Takes me probably at least 2 - 3 hours per sprite per pose, after shading, etc. I try to keep multiple poses limited to just my main characters, and then usually just 3 each.

Lovely Explosions

#9 Post by Lovely Explosions »

http://teacup.lunaen.com/index.php?topic=13.0

I found this a while ago. It was very useful to me, so I hope it helps you out.

OtomeWeekend
Eileen-Class Veteran

#10 Post by OtomeWeekend »

thank you everyone.

I do work in layers but I was always curious what is the best way especially in making sprites(<--before i saw all your posts, I'm starting to hate the thing)

Thank you, really xD