Disproportionate?

Questions, skill improvement, and respectful critique involving art assets.
Gear
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Tempestus Sum
Organization: Xenokos Interactive
IRC Nick: Gear

Disproportionate?

#1 Post by Gear »

I was told that the image below was disproportionate; the hair was way too detailed for the rest of the picture. Granted, it will be colored and shaded, but did I overdo the hair, or are there missing details along the body that make it seem off? Honesty is requested here.
Gage.jpg
The best reason to get up in the morning is to outdo yourself: to do it better than you've ever done it before. But if you haven't done it better by nightfall... look at your globe and pick a spot: it's always morning somewhere.

Deji
Cheer Idol; Not Great at Secret Identities
Projects: http://bit.ly/2lieZsA
Organization: Sakevisual, Apple Cider, Mystery Parfait
Tumblr: DejiNyucu
Deviantart: DejiNyucu

Re: Disproportionate?

#2 Post by Deji »

It doens't seem liek that to me at first glance, tbh, but if you want to balance the detailing, maybe ad some wrinkles to the pants?
Tumblr | Twitter
Forever busy :')
When drawing something, anything, USE REFERENCES!! Use your Google-fu!
Don't trust your memory, and don't blindly trust what others teach you either.
Research, observation, analysis, experimentation and practice are the key! (:

evility
Regular
Projects: 翔-Ailes; The World of Homework (on hold)

#3 Post by evility »

The hair seems fine to me. He does look like he's tilting a little though, and I'm not sure if that's what you want him to look like or not. I second Deji :), some wrinkles to the pants would work out well.

Also the sleeve for his right hand, I think it's missing an edge...

Gear
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Tempestus Sum
Organization: Xenokos Interactive
IRC Nick: Gear

#4 Post by Gear »

Hah, yeah, I knew the sleeve was missing on the right AFTER I exported the image. It's already been fixed. The jeans were supposed to fit tightly, but now that I look at it, a few wrinkles wouldn't hurt. Thanks for the info.
The best reason to get up in the morning is to outdo yourself: to do it better than you've ever done it before. But if you haven't done it better by nightfall... look at your globe and pick a spot: it's always morning somewhere.

Abeiramar
Regular

#5 Post by Abeiramar »

I think his t-shirt needs more cloth folds and the left leg looks too fat.
The rest is ok, I love the hands~

LateWhiteRabbit
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: The Space Between

#6 Post by LateWhiteRabbit »

Eh, maybe a tad, but not distractingly so. You could probably stand to add more detail to the clothing however. If you are going to roto every hair clump, it really only makes sense to roto every fold in the clothing. (And yeah, that missing sleeve.)

But lets stop talking about rotoscoping hair . . . I still have nightmares. (My last job I was rotoscoping film for 3D conversion, and we had to do . . . every . . . little . . . strand . . . . :cry: A certain famous actress had a different elaborate Edwardian hairstyle in every shot, ringlets, etc. and she loved to step out into the wind. We started to hate her a little bit . . . . ) So, in short, I admire you for putting in as much detail in the hair as you have!

lordcloudx
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: http://rd2k2-games.blogspot.com

#7 Post by lordcloudx »

The pose and the hair look fine. The position of the shoulders makes the lineart look slightly tilted but not exactly disproportionate. Perhaps the arm on the right of the image might be jutting out too much (especially the elbow). What stands out for me is that the leg to the left looks much smaller than the right one -- although that's probably due to the cloth folds.
How do you make your games? I see. Thank you for the prompt replies, but it is my considered opinion that you're doing it wrong inefficiently because I am a perfushenal professional. Do it my way this way and we can all ascend VN Nirvana together while allowing me to stroke my ego you will improve much faster. Also, please don't forget to thank me for this constructive critique or I will cry and bore you to death respond appropriately with a tl;dr rant discourse of epic adequately lengthy proportions. - Sarcasm Veiled in Euphemism: Secrets of Forum Civility by lordcloudx (Coming soon to an online ebook near you.)

15385bic
Miko-Class Veteran

#8 Post by 15385bic »

i think a line is missing between his left hand and the shirt?
and that straight line in the middle of his shirt looks strange - if its suppose to represent a fold - maybe line it up with part where the shirt goes up?

one of the pants legs goes in towards the bottom - the other doesnt.

i dont mind the hair or shoulders at all ^^'