Anime facial features references

Questions, skill improvement, and respectful critique involving art assets.
Celianna
Veteran

Anime facial features references

#1 Post by Celianna »

Alright, I felt like working on my anime eye style to create a bunch of different eye shapes, without relying on creating a different iris (so I used only the same one throughout the sheet). I also put notes at the top of how anime eyes are usually made - though of course there's always plenty of exceptions.

I hope this helps anyone else out who has trouble creating differently shaped eyes for their characters!

The rule of thumb is usually this: angular, and squinted eyes are for guys. Large round ones are reserved for girls. It can also display a type of personality, with the squinty eyes being reserved/mean/evil and the large ones outgoing/nice/good. Exceptions always apply, of course.

And here are several anime nose styles, I didn't work on various shapes, just a thin/regular nose.
Last edited by Celianna on Sat Feb 09, 2013 3:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
A GxB game about designing your own clothes.

Camille
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Please see http://trash.moe
Projects: the head well lost
Organization: L3
Tumblr: narihira
Deviantart: crownwaltz
itch: lore

Re: Anime eye study

#2 Post by Camille »

This is a nice reference. :3 I really like art styles where each character is distinct. It's a sad day when you can only tell characters apart by their hair and clothes…

Celianna
Veteran

#3 Post by Celianna »

Camille wrote:This is a nice reference. :3 I really like art styles where each character is distinct. It's a sad day when you can only tell characters apart by their hair and clothes…
Same here, it's one of the things that bugs me the most. Eye shapes can tell so much more than hairstyle and colour.

The mangaka of Inu Yasha is a huge offender of this, all her female characters look 100% the same, with only their hairstyle/clothing being different. These are two different characters (in different mangas!), ridiculous, isn't it?
Last edited by Celianna on Thu Dec 15, 2011 1:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mink
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Say You Love Me (Short Version), C!P (NaNo12), Lady Misfortune, NatH, W/K, MtF, SMQ, TBM, TMHK, LoC, MMDG
Projects: Stuff
Organization: Metal Orphans

#4 Post by Mink »

I've noticed that Junji Ito has a tendency to have Same Face Syndrome with his women. :/ Which is...weird, because he draws plenty of women. Hard habit to break, maybe?

Also, practically everyone in Furuba Fruits Basket look the same to me. >x>

Ha, I noticed that I don't give eye shapes based on boy/girl as much as personality. Consequently, a guy I draw could end up with bigger, wider eyes than a girl.
"I will send a fully armed battalion to remind you of my love."

***Say You Love Me***Human Enough***Cheerful!Polymorph [NaNo12][Complete!]***
"Couldn't you stop this?"
"Probably, but I don't want to."

*Website, yo*

Auro-Cyanide
ssǝʇunoƆ ʇɹ∀
Completed: http://auro-cyanide.tumblr.com/visualnovels
Projects: Athena
Organization: Cyanide Tea
Tumblr: auro-cyanide
Deviantart: Auro-Cyanide

#5 Post by Auro-Cyanide »

Mink wrote:I've noticed that Junji Ito has a tendency to have Same Face Syndrome with his women. :/ Which is...weird, because he draws plenty of women. Hard habit to break, maybe?

Also, practically everyone in Furuba Fruits Basket look the same to me. >x>

Ha, I noticed that I don't give eye shapes based on boy/girl as much as personality. Consequently, a guy I draw could end up with bigger, wider eyes than a girl.
I think it's mostly because people learn to draw an 'ideal' of beauty and it's hard to get away from. Quite a few artists suffer from it. You see a lot of things where it could be the exact same character if you stuck them in the same outfit.

I also tend to draw everything, including eye shape, on the 'feeling' I want a character to have as opposed to male/female or good/evil.

Celianna
Veteran

#6 Post by Celianna »

Mink wrote:Ha, I noticed that I don't give eye shapes based on boy/girl as much as personality. Consequently, a guy I draw could end up with bigger, wider eyes than a girl.
Drawing a boy with large round eyes is hard because they tend to look like a shota (which is tied to being cute and bubbly), which is sad. I love big eyes, they express more emotion to me and are fun to play around with, but it's hard to get a balance right.

Mink
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Say You Love Me (Short Version), C!P (NaNo12), Lady Misfortune, NatH, W/K, MtF, SMQ, TBM, TMHK, LoC, MMDG
Projects: Stuff
Organization: Metal Orphans

#7 Post by Mink »

^This is true. Though to me the same thing is true of girls, and they can end up just looking like a kid.

...Unless that's the point, I guess. Or a cutesy/moe/etc. art style. (Not that there's anything wrong with that)

@Auro: Mm, yeah. I just think it's weird for Junji Ito, because he's clearly capable of distinguishing features, different body types...But his women tend to look so similar. Though I like the fact he'll give girls (really) short hair, which doesn't seem all too common in manga. (Like Kirie in Spiral Uzumaki; her hair got cut boyishly short relatively early on, and it STAYED that way. It made sense for her to keep it short, but still.)

I still find it hilarious that how he drew his fiance/wife just pissed her off.
"I will send a fully armed battalion to remind you of my love."

***Say You Love Me***Human Enough***Cheerful!Polymorph [NaNo12][Complete!]***
"Couldn't you stop this?"
"Probably, but I don't want to."

*Website, yo*

Omnificent
Veteran
Projects: FA:NG, ???

#8 Post by Omnificent »

Oval eyes can be pretty masculine as long as they're set in a more male-proportioned face. Big, round eyes with huge pupils are less flexible there, though.
Forever Alone: Nerds the Gathering - A brotome game. (Nerdy Valentine's Day Card and small status update 2/14/14)
Night at the Hospital - Maiden voyage of Team Snugglebunny
Skylessia: Tale of the Boon - Epic fantasy whatsit, currently on hiatus.
Viking Pipsqueak Productions Blog (under construction)

I occasionally frequently draw other people's characters. Now offering delinquentization, medievalization, and cyborgification. Hit me up in PM if you want sprites for your KN or non-ren'ai VN.

EVEN IF THE TENDONS OF MY THUMBS TEAR INTO NOTHINGNESS, EVEN IF I GO NEARSIGHTED FROM STARING TOO HARD AT THE SCREEN, EVEN IF MY BODY IS CLOSE TO COLLAPSE FROM THE 72 HOURS I HAVE GONE WITHOUT FOOD! I WILL DEFEAT YOU!

redcat
Regular

#9 Post by redcat »

@Celianna--> Nice reference. Thanks for sharing! :)
Meowwngg...??

Celianna
Veteran

Re: Anime facial features references

#10 Post by Celianna »

I updated the OP with anime styled noses, and added 10 more different eye shapes as well. I'll be adding more facial features references in the future, such as the lips or the shape of the head etc.

Nuxill
Veteran
Projects: No Friend
Tumblr: nuxill
itch: nuxill

#11 Post by Nuxill »

These are great! I have such a terrible time trying to make anime eyes that don't suck, these should help a bit.

I think a great way of teaching oneself how to differentiate their characters is to try drawing celebrities or famous people in history in their style while still making them look like themselves- caricature, basically. :o
Also studying anime artists who are good at diveristy, such as Asano Inio or Naoki Urasawa. Every character looks distinct while having a very 'anime' feel.

Celianna
Veteran

#12 Post by Celianna »

Added a few new eye styles.

A good way to recognize male versus female eyes, is that male eyes are usually drawn more narrow, whereas females will have big and round eyes.

dramspringfeald
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: The Echo, CBlue, Safety_Dance

#13 Post by dramspringfeald »

Isn't this a colored version of "how to draw Anime faces? From like 2002 or something?
Don't be a Poser! Learn to Draw
Learn to Draw with Stan Lee
Learn to Draw with Mark Crilley
If you want you can brows my art. My art can be found at...FA // IB // DA Neglected for a few years so I'm just now updating it

Learn to break a bone to break a bone,
Learn to build a house to build a house,
Learn to make a Game to make a Game.

Celianna
Veteran

#14 Post by Celianna »

dramspringfeald wrote:Isn't this a colored version of "how to draw Anime faces? From like 2002 or something?
Uhm, no? I drew these myself, each and every single one of them.