sprite lineart -- suggestions please?

Questions, skill improvement, and respectful critique involving art assets.
roankun
Regular
Projects: RHS

Re: sprite lineart -- suggestions please?

#16 Post by roankun »

I went for middle ground and used 2 pt. XD

Erm, I tried coloring it, but when I tried using the Airbrush tool and putting some details, some things just go horribly wrong, so I went with gradients, in the mean time. In other words, I'm stuck. D:

And I still can't seem to get the eyes right. *Sigh*
Attachments
loliprofweight2colorpen.png
I don't have any kind words to spare to someone who already has all the reason in the world to feel good about himself.
http://roankun.wordpress.com/

xSamChan
Regular

#17 Post by xSamChan »

Oooo~ roankun I'm glad you found sai to be more productive! :D
The sprite you drew looks absolutely adorable!
Usually women are smaller in size than men, unless you like drawing muscular woman.

The coloring looks fine, but maybe you could add some more detail? Like in the shading for example. You can use your pen tool and then blur it together w/ the marker or water tool, those are very helpful aswell ^^~

Ahhh but other than that I'm very impressed on how well you read everyone's advice and sunk it in and turned your art into something more productive. It's really impressive ;o;! You have so much potential >u<

Auro-Cyanide
ssǝʇunoƆ ʇɹ∀
Completed: http://auro-cyanide.tumblr.com/visualnovels
Projects: Athena
Organization: Cyanide Tea
Tumblr: auro-cyanide
Deviantart: Auro-Cyanide

#18 Post by Auro-Cyanide »

There is no one way of colouring, so you will have to experiment and find out what you can do. These tutorials cover a range of subjects in Sai, including colouring. Look through them and see what you can pick up from them and what will suit you. A big part of improving your art is research and practice and you probably aren't going to be brilliant to start off with, but practice will get you there in the end :)

http://browse.deviantart.com/resources/tutorials/?q=sai

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#19 Post by PyTom »

At least part of the problem with the loliprof is that just about every aspect of the character design leans very masculine:

* Very short hair.
* Tie
* Pants
* Shoes

The sloppy lab coat probably leans slightly masculine as well. With so many cues, it's just tough to read the character as female.

Now, you might claim that I'm stereotyping here, and you'll be right, that there are females who dress like this without a problem. You'll be right - but at the same time, stereotypes often have a grain of truth to them. You can often use stereotypes in your favor, to communicate things to the viewer.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

papillon
Arbiter of the Internets
Completed: lots; see website!
Projects: something mysterious involving yuri, usually
Organization: Hanako Games
Tumblr: hanakogames

#20 Post by papillon »

It's not just the hair being short, it's the particular style of the short hair which is a very traditionally anime boy look. And the posture looks male as well. Basically there's nothing but 'male' shortcuts, without the realism of a female character under it to give the other indications.

That said, if someone who is an artist (unlike me) can help you adjust the lines around the chest to hint at breasts just the tiniest bit, plus maybe the ends of the hair flaring out a little more and the feet standing closer together, the image should suddenly read a whole lot more female.

Sapphi
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Boku no Taisetsu na Yumeko
Projects: Twelve, PAW ★ PRINTS
Organization: Kitsch-soft

#21 Post by Sapphi »

roankun wrote: @Sapphi

The link seems to be broken. I can access it on cache, but the images aren't loaded. :(

I think I see what you mean about the collar but... In my sprite, it isn't just a collar, but it also has this kind of other layer thingy? (why did I make it that way anyway?) You know, the two triangle? So how do I make the collar go around the neck while still retaining those two triangle? Or should I remove those and just make a normal collar? My bad. I think I finally see it. I'll get to work on that. XD

About the leg, well, I didn't actually have shift-in-weight in mind when I drew that. XD So as a remedy(?), I kinda lessened the curve on his right thigh. What do you think?

Thanks for the compliment. I really needed that. :D
Huh, that's strange, because it still works for me. Nevertheless, I screencapped that page and uploaded as a PNG for ya: http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/20 ... rs132.png/

Yeah, those "two triangles" are usually created when you leave the topmost button on a collared shirt unbuttoned. When buttoned, the collar is closed around one's neck, when unbuttoned, it curls outwards a little (or sticks up) causing those triangles. This isn't the best example but you can probably see what I mean.

I think it looks a lot better already :)
There is something still going on where it seems like that leg is not quite in the right place (it follows the line of the shirt, but the shirt is supposed to be baggy). I won't redline it for you because I am terrible at male anatomy, but try sketching what his body would look like under those clothes and you'll probably notice what I'm trying to say (ARGH, so hard to describe these things without being able to wave my hands around).

And you're welcome ^_^
"It is [the writer's] privilege to help man endure by lifting his heart,
by reminding him of the courage and honor and hope and pride
and compassion and pity and sacrifice which have been the glory of his past."
— William Faulkner
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬..+X+..▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

roankun
Regular

#22 Post by roankun »

@xSamChan. Thanks. I haven't tried the water/marker tool yet but I'll work on it ^^

@Auro-Cyanide. lol. I've looked through most of those already. I guess it's time to actually put them in practice. XD

@PyTom/papillon
. Funny thing. I've actually made him a male already. I initially made "him" with longer hair, put then I was thinking something seemed off, so I cut his hair. XD Here, I attached the original.
loliproffem.png
@Sapphi. Thanks! Whew, seems like the ears are gonna take me quite a while. And lol, I know what you. I kinda get the point too. I'll draw him naked first (jk ^^). I'm gonna redo him (someday) completely anyway using SAI. XD

------------------------
Uhh.. I tried making a girl... and failed miserably. Please ignore the lack of ears. ...*Sigh* Now what?
I guess I'll just stick to drawing girls in yukatas...
EPIC FAILURE
EPIC FAILURE
I don't have any kind words to spare to someone who already has all the reason in the world to feel good about himself.

Auro-Cyanide
ssǝʇunoƆ ʇɹ∀
Completed: http://auro-cyanide.tumblr.com/visualnovels
Projects: Athena
Organization: Cyanide Tea
Tumblr: auro-cyanide
Deviantart: Auro-Cyanide

#23 Post by Auro-Cyanide »

roankun wrote:Uhh.. I tried making a girl... and failed miserably. Please ignore the lack of ears. ...*Sigh* Now what?
Now what is that you practice. Art takes a long time to learn, you have to be patient and continue studying and practicing.

You need to draw skeleton sketches. These are a base structure made up of basic shapes that you create the body from. Focus on the shapes of the human body and where everything is in relation to everything else. Use circles, rectangles and cylinders to represent the different parts. Right now her shoulders are too high and her torso starts too soon. You have forgotten about her curves and because you haven't laid out what the body looks like, the clothes don't fit correctly. Most of your preparation should be done in the sketch stage so you don't have to worry too much about technicalities as you ink.

This is an example of what I mean (since it's easier to show than tell -.-')
help 18.jpg

This is an example of my sketching process. Notice how I start with loose shapes in the beginning and work towards refining the sketch before I start inking. You can still see some of the circles and lines I used as guides in the original. The great benefit of digital art is you can create lots of layers so you can draw on top of each other. If you can't do this on the computer, I suggest starting on paper first because the sketching stage is very important for getting stuff right. It's unlikely you'll be able to get stuff right the first time, especially with things you are unfamiliar drawing. Practice is the key to everything :)
Step-by-setp-Shuuki.jpg

justblue
Regular
Projects: The Mask of Joy

#24 Post by justblue »

just wanna say that the loliprof missing a line(that indicates her backside coat) behind her feet
currently working for this project:
Head Space - The Mask of Joy

open commission
Character artist & flash programmer at your service. kid-blue.deviantart.com

roankun
Regular

#25 Post by roankun »

@justblue. lol. I didn't notice that. I'll fix it in the final version.

Whooo!!! I finally got it. I know the problem now. I shouldn't use my classmates as models. They have bad anatomy XXXDDD

The result of being a hikikomori having nothing to do, no one to be with on Christmas Eve (and a lot of stalking on facebook and tumblr XD):
Here it is!
Success~! ...Right(?)
Success~! ...Right(?)
My body is ready for the comments/suggestions. But be gentle. I'm actually quite proud if this. Now to work on the coloring~

EDIT: I forgot to erase that line on her hand. Don't mind it.
EDIT: Argh. Is it just me or is her arm too skinny? *paranoia strikes* Is that band on her wrists too big? Are the thighs out of place???

P.S. VERY noob question. How do you lock threads? My parents are getting mad, so the time to stop working on my game is getting closer.

Reikun
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Mnemonic Devices, Ciikos Bridge, Helena's Flowers, The Madness
Projects: Fox in the Hollyhocks
Organization: skyharborr
itch: skyharborr

#26 Post by Reikun »

In regard to female.png, I think you're getting the hang of line art now! It looks very clean : ) And it's good that you're also working at a bigger size. The character does definitely look female, but you might want to keep using your classmates as models in order to observe more varied body types. It's probably not that they have "bad anatomy," but more so that they don't have "ideal" anatomy.

My suggestion would be to keep practicing line art and females and observing females you see in real life. If you're wondering if her arm is too skinny, look at females around you with different body types/masses and compare the thickness of their necks with that of their arms. The best way to know if you're drawing anatomy "correctly" is if you draw it from real people regardless of how their body measures up to typical/ideal anime-type bodies. When you have a good handle on realistic proportions, you can draw them in any anime/toon style and make it look okay. I know it sounds like a lot of work and some people do just draw in a cartoon style without observing real life, but if you want to make your cartoons more believable it's a good idea to have realism in your arsenal! And if you want to keep drawing in a cartoon style, nothing is stopping you from practicing both. Just be aware that habits from one style can spill over into another :0

Also, you probably won't need to lock this thread (I don't think non-admins can anyway). If your parents are mad/want you to get off the computer, then you can just leave this thread alone and it will be here if you ever visit again I suppose.
ImageImageImage

fastest way to contact me: DM @skyharborr on twitter

roankun
Regular

#27 Post by roankun »

Alright, I think I got it. (Even coloring :D)

Thanks for everything, guys. It was a fun ride (except for the times when my mother breathed at my back saying "What's the use of that? Could you earn money from that?" in this really patronizing(?) tone and all I could reply was "Yes, I COULD, but I don't wanna [because I'm gonna get a job that'll make me stinkin' filthy rich when I graduate) 8) .

Erm. Anyway, thanks again. :)

Sapphi
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Boku no Taisetsu na Yumeko
Projects: Twelve, PAW ★ PRINTS
Organization: Kitsch-soft

#28 Post by Sapphi »

roankun wrote:"What's the use of that? Could you earn money from that?"
>_>
Doesn't she have any hobbies or fun things she likes to do?

Anyway, the girl you drew is really cute. Keep practicing when you can :)
"It is [the writer's] privilege to help man endure by lifting his heart,
by reminding him of the courage and honor and hope and pride
and compassion and pity and sacrifice which have been the glory of his past."
— William Faulkner
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬..+X+..▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

roankun
Regular

#29 Post by roankun »

@Sapphi. Em... Plants vs Zombies? XDD

Er, I figured I might as well post the finished product. :oops: I cut her hair. XD for a reason.

Those who think there's too much shine in the right image's hair, raise your hand! XD But when I look at the left image, something's... missing. :(

Those who think there's too much blue in the image, raise your feet. lol. I can't help it, I love blue. But well... If it really IS too much, I'll just make another color scheme for the uniform. :(

Suggestions, please?

P.S. Again, don't mind the signature. XD It makes me laugh. Also, there are a few pixels of color scattered around that shouldn't be there. There's always a few that I miss during the polishing. X(
Attachments
mia10.png