Drawing guys ... need critique :D

Questions, skill improvement, and respectful critique involving art assets.
HikkiPanda
Veteran
Projects: Marchioness' Teacup

Drawing guys ... need critique :D

#1 Post by HikkiPanda »

Just like the title says :D

Feel free to comment on anything, proportion, cloth design, their looks, and maybe what kind of impression that you get from their design (like their personality etc).

Don't hesitate to let me know if they're not handsome enough ^^;

Ok, this is V2
White hair: he is grinning now and a bit less slim than before (hopefully it will also make his hand look shorter)
Red hair: his cloth is redesigned, both his fists are bigger now
Blue hair: change his face, he is taller now, his hands are longer too, more editing on his eyes
ImageImageImage
Last edited by HikkiPanda on Sun Jan 15, 2012 11:29 am, edited 9 times in total.

ScottySeng
Regular
Completed: May-Chan
Projects: Fairy Tale, What do you see

Re: Drawing guys ... need critique :D

#2 Post by ScottySeng »

To start off, I think the proportions scale oddly. The shortest person (left) should have the shortest arm, while the tallest person (right) should have the longest arm. Right now it's the opposite because the tallest person (right) has the shortest arm, and that's odd. I can't tell for sure though because I have no idea what head height ratio you used for them. As for faces, the eyes are spaced correctly, and look pretty good. The wrinkles in the clothes look realistically placed, and the clothing is great. I think the shading needs a definitive light source though. Right now the shading is opposing other shaded areas on the same character (left). The person on the left has darker shading on the left on his hand armor, but if you look at the pants, the shadows are to the right. It is really hard to tell the gender of the characters. Right now I think the left and middle people are guys while the one on the left is a girl. In total though, the character designs are pretty nice and match with the clothing. I wish you luck in drawing more art :)

Niki
Regular
Projects: Water's Edge
Organization: Etoranze

#3 Post by Niki »

Firstly, I love your art style, it's adorable >w< The clothing designs are really cute too, no complaints there. They're fantastic, and the color scheme goes nicely.

For the guy on the left, his arms could be a little shorter. His torso also seems a bit long, though that could just be an optical illusion caused by the clothing.

The middle guy's left hand looks a little awkward. I can see where you intended his hips to be, but because the shirt is a little long, it looks as if his torso is really long. Moving the hem of the shirt up and showing a bit of his crotch area should fix this.

As for the guy on the right, no complaints ^^
Image (devblog) || tumblr

KimiYoriBaka
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Castle of Arhannia

#4 Post by KimiYoriBaka »

I can't tell for sure though because I have no idea what head height ratio you used for them.
From what I can tell, 6 for the one on the left, 6 1/2 for the other two. Pretty reasonable as long as they weren't supposed to be adults.

I agree with the two posts above about the proportions and style. The shortest looks like it might be a masculine girl because of the hips, but all three look pretty male to me. The ones on the left and right look determined, with the one on the right looking more dependable. The one in the middle gives off more of an aloof impression.
"I know that I have blood on me. I know because I see it here. the things i've done are not to be condoned nor praised."
-Aiya, daughter of Raik II
Castle of Arhannia- slowly progressing. script 60% art 5% music 0% minigame 90%

LateWhiteRabbit
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: The Space Between

#5 Post by LateWhiteRabbit »

The arms on all of the figures except for the first are too short. As a general rule, with the arm at the side and fingers extended, the tips of the fingers should fall half-way down the thigh. To get the size of the hand right, just know that the hands are bigger than a lot of people think - from the bottom of the hand to the top of the index finger is going to be the same distance as from the bottom of the chin to almost the hairline above the forehead on the face.

Proportions will differ a little bit, especially drawing anime, but even in stylized figures, some ratios of proportions - like how long the arms are in relation to the rest of the figure - should be the same as in drawing realistic figures. Regardless of how many "heads" you make the figure, the fingertips should always fall at the same spot on the body - mid-thigh.

Here is a reference image by Jack Hamm for comparison:

Pugfarts
Regular
Projects: I Will Hold Your Hand

#6 Post by Pugfarts »

Broader chins. Make that chin less pointy, eyebrows a little heavier, and BAM, you've got +10 testosterone.

HikkiPanda
Veteran

#7 Post by HikkiPanda »

ScottySeng wrote:To start off, I think the proportions scale oddly. The shortest person (left) should have the shortest arm, while the tallest person (right) should have the longest arm. Right now it's the opposite because the tallest person (right) has the shortest arm, and that's odd.
Niki wrote:For the guy on the left, his arms could be a little shorter.
KimiYoriBaka wrote:I agree with the two posts above about the proportions and style.
LateWhiteRabbit wrote:The arms on all of the figures except for the first are too short. As a general rule, with the arm at the side and fingers extended, the tips of the fingers should fall half-way down the thigh. To get the size of the hand right, just know that the hands are bigger than a lot of people think - from the bottom of the hand to the top of the index finger is going to be the same distance as from the bottom of the chin to almost the hairline above the forehead on the face.
Woaah! Nice Observation, thanks a lot >.<!! I didn't notice this at all even though I stared at them for hours ;_;

Regarding the conflicting opinion about the white haired boy's hands, maybe it happens because he is to slim? He is proportionally correct according to LateWhiteRabbit but since his body is too slim it gives the impression that his hand is too long to most people. Maybe I should fix his proportion and adjust his hand accordingly instead of only editing his hand?
ScottySeng wrote:I think the shading needs a definitive light source though. Right now the shading is opposing other shaded areas on the same character (left). The person on the left has darker shading on the left on his hand armor, but if you look at the pants, the shadows are to the right.
I see ... . orz. I'll make his pants darker right away!
KimiYoriBaka wrote:From what I can tell, 6 for the one on the left, 6 1/2 for the other two. Pretty reasonable as long as they weren't supposed to be adults.
Well .. the red and blue haired guys are supposed to be in their early twenties ^^; . I have a tendency to draw the characters younger than they actually are and no matter how hard I try to draw them to match their age I always fail horribly lol. I guess unconsciously I want them look younger ^^;
Niki wrote:His torso also seems a bit long, though that could just be an optical illusion caused by the clothing.
Niki wrote:The middle guy's left hand looks a little awkward. I can see where you intended his hips to be, but because the shirt is a little long, it looks as if his torso is really long. Moving the hem of the shirt up and showing a bit of his crotch area should fix this.
KimiYoriBaka wrote:The shortest looks like it might be a masculine girl because of the hips
Those optical illusions are really a pain T__T .. I think none of these will happen if I draw them naked lol ... . I have to fix them I guess them since they create a weird impression on the characters >.<. Thanks for pointing these out :D !!
ScottySeng wrote:In total though, the character designs are pretty nice and match with the clothing. I wish you luck in drawing more art :)
Niki wrote:Firstly, I love your art style, it's adorable >w< The clothing designs are really cute too, no complaints there. They're fantastic, and the color scheme goes nicely.
Thanks for the compliments, glad you like them <3 !
ScottySeng wrote:It is really hard to tell the gender of the characters. Right now I think the left and middle people are guys while the one on the left is a girl
Hmmm ... I guess I'll wait for more input regarding this, especially about the blue haired guy.
Pugfarts wrote:Broader chins. Make that chin less pointy, eyebrows a little heavier, and BAM, you've got +10 testosterone.
Thanks for going through the trouble to edit the character to show me this ^^. I kinda like his current look so I think I won't change it, but I think I'm going to create a new character and apply your testosterone booster on him XD!

Arcanum
Veteran

#8 Post by Arcanum »

The characters look pretty, but too much alike. They all have round faces with pointy chins, same body type… The middle and the right character have eyes drawn in the same style, what, combined with the same face, make the characters discernible only through color/hairstyle. Their clothes and hair should be a good indication of their personality, but they shouldn't be the only one.

Say, character in the right looks a warrior type because of his armor, while middle character looks an artsy/elegant type because of his fan and clothes. A warrior should naturally have a different body type - he goes around carrying the weight of that armor, unlike the guy with the clothes who look more thin and elegant. The difference between the character in the left (smaller, thinner, bigger eyes) and the others is a little more noticeable. I think the clothing design is very nice, but it'd be even nicer if the characters looked more unique between themselves.

15385bic
Miko-Class Veteran

#9 Post by 15385bic »

I think the characters are really cute and i love the style of the clothes
face wise - they do have different eyes but the face expressions are all the same - like they all have the same personality

i cant say anything about proportions coz i dont really have a sense of proper anatomy (they all look fine to me)

LateWhiteRabbit
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: The Space Between

#10 Post by LateWhiteRabbit »

HikkiPanda wrote:
ScottySeng wrote:To start off, I think the proportions scale oddly. The shortest person (left) should have the shortest arm, while the tallest person (right) should have the longest arm. Right now it's the opposite because the tallest person (right) has the shortest arm, and that's odd.
Niki wrote:For the guy on the left, his arms could be a little shorter.
KimiYoriBaka wrote:I agree with the two posts above about the proportions and style.
LateWhiteRabbit wrote:The arms on all of the figures except for the first are too short. As a general rule, with the arm at the side and fingers extended, the tips of the fingers should fall half-way down the thigh. To get the size of the hand right, just know that the hands are bigger than a lot of people think - from the bottom of the hand to the top of the index finger is going to be the same distance as from the bottom of the chin to almost the hairline above the forehead on the face.
Woaah! Nice Observation, thanks a lot >.<!! I didn't notice this at all even though I stared at them for hours ;_;

Regarding the conflicting opinion about the white haired boy's hands, maybe it happens because he is to slim? He is proportionally correct according to LateWhiteRabbit but since his body is too slim it gives the impression that his hand is too long to most people. Maybe I should fix his proportion and adjust his hand accordingly instead of only editing his hand?
There isn't really conflicting opinion - the white haired boy is the only one whose proportions are right. Let me further illustrate:
No matter the height, size, or age, the fingertips always fall at the same spot on the thighs.
This holds true even for babies.
Even when designing fantasy races, all with different builds and lengths of leg in relation to the body, the fingertips always fall on the same spot on the thighs.

Here is a better illustration of the size of the hand I was talking about earlier. Try with your own face and hand and see for yourself.
This holds true even for women.
Our hands are a lot bigger than most people think.

All these proportions vary from person to person BUT NOT BY MUCH.

Even when drawing anime, the proportions won't change much. Usually only the head and face are significantly different in anime drawings from real life anatomy.
Well drawn anime characters always follow these proportions:
Only chibis are drawn differently.

xSamChan
Regular

#11 Post by xSamChan »

I think it's fine, everyone else has already stated the obvious about arms lengths and proportions and what not, but If I were playing I'd assume that they are in their early ages of say: 10 - 13.

redeyesblackpanda
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Eternal Memories, plot bunnies that won't die.
Organization: HellPanda Studios

#12 Post by redeyesblackpanda »

Looks good, but yeah, their faces do look the same/very similar.
I like their costumes. They don't look so much handsome as cute/nice/beautiful though. I don't know if you'd want to make a more rugged looking character... Like some, I am also having trouble distinguishing gender (but I'm not that smart, so take that as you will... :lol: )
Also, heterochromia is always fun to see, heh heh heh...
(All projects currently on a hiatus of sorts. I blame life.)
Tsundere VN
Not really checking the forums any more due to time constraints, so if you want to contact me, PM. I'll get a notification and log in. :mrgreen:
Also, I've been hit and run posting, which means I don't see many replies. If you want to respond to something I've said, also feel free to PM me.

NOTE: if you've got questions about vnovel or things like that, it's Leon that you should be contacting. Leon's been pretty much handling everything, but due to various reasons, I've had to withdraw entirely.

HikkiPanda
Veteran

#13 Post by HikkiPanda »

Arcanum wrote:The characters look pretty, but too much alike. They all have round faces with pointy chins, same body type… The middle and the right character have eyes drawn in the same style, what, combined with the same face, make the characters discernible only through color/hairstyle.
redeyesblackpanda wrote:Looks good, but yeah, their faces do look the same/very similar.
I've changed the face and chin slightly, what do you think?
15385bic wrote:face wise - they do have different eyes but the face expressions are all the same - like they all have the same personality
I changed the expression of the white haired one, I don't change the others because they're more serious personality wise ^^;.
LateWhiteRabbit wrote:Our hands are a lot bigger than most people think.
I make the hands bigger now, I can't tell if it's big enough though ... I'm so getting used to drawing small hands >.<. And big thanks for all those reference images!!
Niki wrote:The middle guy's left hand looks a little awkward. I can see where you intended his hips to be, but because the shirt is a little long, it looks as if his torso is really long. Moving the hem of the shirt up and showing a bit of his crotch area should fix this.
I fixed (hopefully) the hands and redesign the hem. I hope I get it right this time ....
xSamChan wrote:I think it's fine, everyone else has already stated the obvious about arms lengths and proportions and what not, but If I were playing I'd assume that they are in their early ages of say: 10 - 13.
They're around 16-23 ... orz
redeyesblackpanda wrote:I like their costumes. They don't look so much handsome as cute/nice/beautiful though. I don't know if you'd want to make a more rugged looking character... Like some, I am also having trouble distinguishing gender (but I'm not that smart, so take that as you will... :lol: )
Also, heterochromia is always fun to see, heh heh heh...
Any idea how to make them look better? I don't think I will change the design for these characters to be more rugged but I do plan to create another character who is more savage looking than these one ^^;

Lumen_Astrum
Dystopian Princess
Completed: Soul and Heart, Twin Faces
Projects: Soul and Heart Replay; The Court of the Two Sides (tentative title)
Organization: Lion Box Studios
Tumblr: lumenizampel

#14 Post by Lumen_Astrum »

Another thing aside from the arms and stuff... I think the poses look a bit womanly (especially the guy with the fan). Yo may want to change that. :)
(Like I'm not guilty with that too)

redeyesblackpanda
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Eternal Memories, plot bunnies that won't die.
Organization: HellPanda Studios

#15 Post by redeyesblackpanda »

HikkiPanda wrote:Any idea how to make them look better? I don't think I will change the design for these characters to be more rugged but I do plan to create another character who is more savage looking than these one ^^;
I'm not quite sure (as I'm not that good at drawing myself), I guess facial hair might be an option, or maybe tougher looking eyes? (don't ask me how to do this, I can't draw :lol: )
(All projects currently on a hiatus of sorts. I blame life.)
Tsundere VN
Not really checking the forums any more due to time constraints, so if you want to contact me, PM. I'll get a notification and log in. :mrgreen:
Also, I've been hit and run posting, which means I don't see many replies. If you want to respond to something I've said, also feel free to PM me.

NOTE: if you've got questions about vnovel or things like that, it's Leon that you should be contacting. Leon's been pretty much handling everything, but due to various reasons, I've had to withdraw entirely.