anime: realistic vs not?

Questions, skill improvement, and respectful critique involving art assets.
Green Skies
Regular
Projects: Shoot The Moon (GXB Otome)
Organization: Green Skies

anime: realistic vs not?

#1 Post by Green Skies »

I've been working on our otome with the typical anime style in mind (aka starry sky: cell shading, simple & clean)
but i've been wondering if people would be more interested in a more realistic approach (aka death note: detailed hair, less shiny ect)

I'm not particularly better at one type over the other. I was wondering, would one prefer to play a game with more realistic figures or less so?

For our game, neither style "suits" it more, so that isn't a problem.

i know this isn't death note but:
http://cdn.pimpmyspace.org/media/pms/c/ ... a76c9b.jpg

vs

http://www.watchanimesub.com/wp-content ... rysky2.jpg

or in my case...
VERY QUICKLY DONE (like 10 minutes...I can do much better more finished looking work. I've never done it on the computer though (only on paper))

vs

Current Project: Shoot the Moon // Devblog

LateWhiteRabbit
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: The Space Between

Re: anime: realistic vs not?

#2 Post by LateWhiteRabbit »

If you can pull it off, I always like the realistic style if it fits the story. Satoshi Kon, Range Murata, etc. are all artists that use that style, and it is my favorite. If I were doing a screwball comedy or something very kiddy, I would use a more stylized approach, but for anything serious and dramatic I'll always prefer the more realistic style.

Your comparison images aren't doing you any favors though - you are asking people here to look at and make a comparison between a 10 minute piece and fully finished sprites. People are naturally going to be more inclined to choose the more stylized sprites when given the choice between the two examples you've given of your own work.

If you want honest and valuable feedback, you're going to need to show a fully finished sprite in your realistic style, versus the fully finished stylized sprite. As it is, you're asking for a comparison between apples and oranges, and while I say I prefer realistic style, I have no idea if I'd like YOUR realistic style, because you haven't shown me anything close to finished in that style.

Enigma
Veteran

#3 Post by Enigma »

I prefer more realistic styles like Hokuto no Ken and the more recent chapters of Jojo if it's an action story.. However, a less realistic style is usually better for romance related stuff in my opinion. I don't know why I think that way though.

HikkiPanda
Veteran
Projects: Marchioness' Teacup

#4 Post by HikkiPanda »

i prefer the non reallistic i guess,

tuna_sushi
Veteran
Projects: BloomingBlossoms

#5 Post by tuna_sushi »

I like non-realistic :p
because they fit to the genres i like

Green Skies
Regular

#6 Post by Green Skies »

LateWhiteRabbit wrote:If you can pull it off, I always like the realistic style if it fits the story. Satoshi Kon, Range Murata, etc. are all artists that use that style, and it is my favorite. If I were doing a screwball comedy or something very kiddy, I would use a more stylized approach, but for anything serious and dramatic I'll always prefer the more realistic style.

Your comparison images aren't doing you any favors though - you are asking people here to look at and make a comparison between a 10 minute piece and fully finished sprites. People are naturally going to be more inclined to choose the more stylized sprites when given the choice between the two examples you've given of your own work.

If you want honest and valuable feedback, you're going to need to show a fully finished sprite in your realistic style, versus the fully finished stylized sprite. As it is, you're asking for a comparison between apples and oranges, and while I say I prefer realistic style, I have no idea if I'd like YOUR realistic style, because you haven't shown me anything close to finished in that style.

Hello again :)
I posted two pictures before my examples. I just wanted a general opinion, not necessarily for my style, and you gave me that :)
I love anime-realism from a completed piece point of view...but I was worried about how that well that would crossover into a otome (in my case)

Green Skies
Regular

#7 Post by Green Skies »

tuna_sushi wrote:I like non-realistic :p
hahaha~ do you like GXB romances?

tuna_sushi
Veteran
Projects: BloomingBlossoms

#8 Post by tuna_sushi »

Green Skies wrote:
tuna_sushi wrote:I like non-realistic :p
hahaha~ do you like GXB romances?
Cute heartwarming romances 8) :lol:
and who doesn't like comedy?

Reikun
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Mnemonic Devices, Ciikos Bridge, Helena's Flowers, The Madness
Projects: Fox in the Hollyhocks
Organization: skyharborr
itch: skyharborr

#9 Post by Reikun »

Personally, I think that any style is good for any kind of story if you can pull it off. An example that comes to mind is Love, love me do, which is drawn in a realistic style, but you can still feel the romance/comedy in the story. I think you should pick whichever style you like to see your characters/story in and go from there.
ImageImageImage

fastest way to contact me: DM @skyharborr on twitter

Omnificent
Veteran
Projects: FA:NG, ???

#10 Post by Omnificent »

Hyper-realistic art tends to suffer from a lack of expressiveness/less dynamic appearance. The top image is aesthetically pleasing but blank expression-wise, while in the bottom image even the 'default'-looking one has what seems like a serious or annoyed demeanor.
Forever Alone: Nerds the Gathering - A brotome game. (Nerdy Valentine's Day Card and small status update 2/14/14)
Night at the Hospital - Maiden voyage of Team Snugglebunny
Skylessia: Tale of the Boon - Epic fantasy whatsit, currently on hiatus.
Viking Pipsqueak Productions Blog (under construction)

I occasionally frequently draw other people's characters. Now offering delinquentization, medievalization, and cyborgification. Hit me up in PM if you want sprites for your KN or non-ren'ai VN.

EVEN IF THE TENDONS OF MY THUMBS TEAR INTO NOTHINGNESS, EVEN IF I GO NEARSIGHTED FROM STARING TOO HARD AT THE SCREEN, EVEN IF MY BODY IS CLOSE TO COLLAPSE FROM THE 72 HOURS I HAVE GONE WITHOUT FOOD! I WILL DEFEAT YOU!

LVUER
King of Lolies
Completed: R.S.P

#11 Post by LVUER »

Personally, I prefer your stylish style. But that's totally my own personal preference. Meaning that your realistic style is good too.

If the amount of time you use (and the skill you have) for either style is more or less the same, I think you should try making VN with realistic style since it's more uncommon and seems could be interesting.

But IMO realistic style beg for realistic story too. So your genre is kinda limited with that realistic style.
"Double the princesses, quadruple the fun!" - Haken Browning (SRW-OG Endless Frontier)

DeviantArt Account
MoeToMecha Blog (under construction)
Lolicondria Blog (under construction) <- NSFW

J. Datie
Veteran

#12 Post by J. Datie »

LVUER wrote:But IMO realistic style beg for realistic story too. So your genre is kinda limited with that realistic style.
Of course, you could also use that expectation of realism to make weird fantasy type elements even weirder. Hakaba Kitaro had the human characters drawn in a more realistic style and the monsters in a cartoonish style, which made for a nice contrast until they stopped doing that for no apparent reason.

ebi brain
Regular
Organization: Zettai Rookie Project

#13 Post by ebi brain »

I think the realistic style is awesome.
Though, it would take a couple of blinks of the eye before I'd get used to seeing it in a visual novel;) ( but I don't mean that in a bad way, just that I've never seen it before).

I was thinking, if I had the skills, I'd totally use the realistic style for my little big game....
So, yes I'd be curious about it being used in someone else's game:)
Since I have our site RSI, I used speech recognition by, sometimes this means I'll make some mistakes. :D

My sketchbook - Come yell at me :D

Green Skies
Regular

#14 Post by Green Skies »

After viewing everyone's great feedback I believe that I'll make a new project later...with a new style :)

I was worried that people would prefer a more realistic approach (and find mine lacking)
Thanks to you I'm back up on my feet, finish my last bachelor :)
I was having a bit of a nervous breakdown of "what ifs"...I tend to psyche myself out, because I know I can do better.

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!
I am over this hill!

15385bic
Miko-Class Veteran

#15 Post by 15385bic »

i generally like a mix of the 2 actually XD
but it depends.

out of your two examples though, the NOT realistic looks cleaner and better suited for a VN