3D Rendering Advice

Questions, skill improvement, and respectful critique involving art assets.
Zogunplex
Regular
Projects: Dark Caravan

3D Rendering Advice

#1 Post by Zogunplex »

Hi all! I've always been a 2D artist, but I want to try my hand at rendering some 3D characters. Do you have any reliable 3D rendering software or tutorials you could recommend?

Thanks much! :D
Shameless Plug for My Game Forum: http://zgforums.proboards.com/index.cgi

Fawn
Moe Imouto

Re: 3D Rendering Advice

#2 Post by Fawn »

Just to warn you, most 3d models aren't very accepted in visual novels... Many people find it creepy.

But, back to the topic- I've heard Blender is good, it's free as well: http://www.blender.org/ There's tutorials on the site as well as everywhere else on the internet. :P

LateWhiteRabbit
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: The Space Between

#3 Post by LateWhiteRabbit »

Zogunplex wrote:Hi all! I've always been a 2D artist, but I want to try my hand at rendering some 3D characters. Do you have any reliable 3D rendering software or tutorials you could recommend?

Thanks much! :D
I model with 3ds Max and Zbrush. If you are a student you can get free 3 year licenses for Autodesk software like 3ds Max, Maya, and Mudbox, which is very similar to Zbrush. Just follow this link for more details. These are the industry standard tools, and you'll find the most tutorials for them on the internet. The Autodesk student licenses also come with free training and videos.

The best 3D modeling sight on the internet for my money is Polycount - it is staffed by amateurs and industry professionals alike. Their Wiki is invaluable as a collection of tutorials and tips accumulated from some of the best:
Front page of the Polycount Wiki

And the Polycount forums where all the main magic happens.

The Gnomon Workshop is also a great resource for learning, as is Digital Tutors.

If you need to buy a modeling program, Modo is the best program versus cost.

Most of the programs I've listed here have free trials as well, so you can spend 30 days playing around with them to decide which one suits you best.

EDIT: About Blender - it is free and does a lot, but it isn't as good as the big names like Modo, 3ds Max, Maya, or SoftImage. If you are a student, go ahead and get Max, Maya, or SoftImage - you'll get full versions free for 3 years, more than enough time to learn and get good. Training, tutorials, and advice are also all easier to get for those programs, due in large part to all the professionals using them.

Zogunplex
Regular

#4 Post by Zogunplex »

Oh, wow, thank you both for being so willing to share your knowledge! I'm excited to try these out, especially some of those 3-year trial versions. I am a student currently, so learning as much as I can before getting out into the field would be most beneficial. Especially since the 3D classes at my university are full right now. :P

Thank you so much, LateWhiteRabbit and Fawn!

LateWhiteRabbit
Eileen-Class Veteran

#5 Post by LateWhiteRabbit »

Zogunplex wrote: I'm excited to try these out, especially some of those 3-year trial versions.
They aren't trial versions! They're FULL versions! :D

With a student license the only thing you can't do is sell work made with them, otherwise you can make full use of the programs in any way you see fit for 3 years! I'm partial to 3ds Max myself, but grab it and Maya and SoftImage and give them all a whirl! You lucked out being a student in university!

Zogunplex
Regular

#6 Post by Zogunplex »

Booyah! Full versions of the software is even better!
You lucked out being a student in university!
Yeah, especially since I'm graduating soon. XD

NewMember
Regular

#7 Post by NewMember »

EDIT: About Blender - it is free and does a lot, but it isn't as good as the big names like Modo, 3ds Max, Maya, or SoftImage. If you are a student, go ahead and get Max, Maya, or SoftImage - you'll get full versions free for 3 years, more than enough time to learn and get good. Training, tutorials, and advice are also all easier to get for those programs, due in large part to all the professionals using them.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eRsGyueVLvQ

As you can see by the video it can do alot and it is free (not just like free beer but as in you are free to do whatever you want to do with it even create commercial version of the program) is open source and has one of the kindest and user friendly community aka blender artists where you can ask just about anything. I think using blender would be a better idea especially since all you want to do is render some 3D models.Most training tutorials for those other programs can be used for blender and there is cgcookie and andrew price and many other sites that have tutorials for blender. If you are still not convinced then you that it is not good for creating models than look at this site http://www.blendswap.com/

Zogunplex
Regular

#8 Post by Zogunplex »

Okeypokey. I think it would only be wise to dip my fingers in all these programs, see which one works best for me. I know that everyone who uses 3D rendering software has their favorite program, and I'm really glad you all shared yours with me. ^-^ Off to go exploring then. :)

LVUER
King of Lolies
Completed: R.S.P

#9 Post by LVUER »

Blender is good. It's free, open-source, the spec requirement is low (but you need higher hardware to access its advanced features), supportive community, and I heard it's very good at cell-shading (even better at that than some commercial software).

The only flaw I know is the GUI. It's very hard for a newbie and very different compared with other 3D software making it hard to be learned for the first time. Though some people think otherwise, that Blender GUI is even better compared to other 3D software.
"Double the princesses, quadruple the fun!" - Haken Browning (SRW-OG Endless Frontier)

DeviantArt Account
MoeToMecha Blog (under construction)
Lolicondria Blog (under construction) <- NSFW

LateWhiteRabbit
Eileen-Class Veteran

#10 Post by LateWhiteRabbit »

NewMember wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eRsGyueVLvQ

As you can see by the video it can do alot and it is free (not just like free beer but as in you are free to do whatever you want to do with it even create commercial version of the program) is open source and has one of the kindest and user friendly community aka blender artists where you can ask just about anything. I think using blender would be a better idea especially since all you want to do is render some 3D models.Most training tutorials for those other programs can be used for blender and there is cgcookie and andrew price and many other sites that have tutorials for blender. If you are still not convinced then you that it is not good for creating models than look at this site http://www.blendswap.com/
Which would be great, except Zogunplex is a student and thus can get all the major multi-thousand dollar programs the industry professionals use legally and for free. And the Blender user interface is pretty bad. If you aren't a student and have a strict budget, go with Blender, but for Zogunplex, 3ds Max or Maya is a much better choice. They each have thousands of video tutorials on the internet available and their own kind and friendly communities.