Just wondering

Questions, skill improvement, and respectful critique involving art assets.
thedarkdefender
Regular
Projects: TBTR
Organization: Clockwork Cafe

Just wondering

#1 Post by thedarkdefender »

Does one really have to use a tablet to draw for VN's?

:oops: (yeah, noobish question)

Auro-Cyanide
ssǝʇunoƆ ʇɹ∀
Completed: http://auro-cyanide.tumblr.com/visualnovels
Projects: Athena
Organization: Cyanide Tea
Tumblr: auro-cyanide
Deviantart: Auro-Cyanide

Re: Just wondering

#2 Post by Auro-Cyanide »

Nope. It just makes it easier. You don't even need digital work to make VNs. There is no reason you can't use traditonal work in a VN. Mouse work is fine too, it can just be more time consuming and can be hard on the hands. A tablet is all about ease and functionality, but it isn't directly needed. That said, I have one and I love it.

LateWhiteRabbit
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: The Space Between

#3 Post by LateWhiteRabbit »

thedarkdefender wrote:Does one really have to use a tablet to draw for VN's?

Well . . . no . . . but it helps quite a bit.

Using a tablet speeds up art creation and makes it more natural like drawing on paper. It allows you to quickly do things that are very time consuming to replicate with a mouse, like pressure-sensitive effects and brushes. It makes inking art much quicker. As you get more experienced you can even skip the draw on paper and scan method and just draw from start to finish on the computer, taking out the time and step of having to clean up scanned line-art.

Most importantly, it saves your wrists from the damage that can occur from long term use of the mouse. Drawing with a mouse requires a lot more wrist movement and twists than using a mouse to browse and click on files. People have required wrist surgery from using the mouse to draw for years (two of my classmates at art school had this happen).

A tablet is a good long term investment if you are serious about creating digital art. Most of the Wacom tablets even come with software deals or free copies of Adobe graphics programs, saving you money in that department as well. The size of the tablet is not as important as making sure you get the best pen sensitivity you can and making sure the pen has tilt sensitivity. Tilt sensitivity isn't generally included on the Wacom Bamboo tablets, but it makes a huge difference in replicating the feel of drawing on paper, because it detects the angle the tip is to the tablet, allowing you to replicate your exact drawing style on the computer.

thedarkdefender
Regular
Projects: TBTR
Organization: Clockwork Cafe

#4 Post by thedarkdefender »

LateWhiteRabbit wrote:
thedarkdefender wrote:Does one really have to use a tablet to draw for VN's?

Well . . . no . . . but it helps quite a bit.

Most importantly, it saves your wrists from the damage that can occur from long term use of the mouse. Drawing with a mouse requires a lot more wrist movement and twists than using a mouse to browse and click on files. People have required wrist surgery from using the mouse to draw for years (two of my classmates at art school had this happen).
Wow. That alarmed me XD
Okay, now I must save for a tablet to save my wrist 8)

roankun
Regular
Projects: RHS

#5 Post by roankun »

On the same note, may I ask a question?

I'm saving up for a tablet myself, but when I asked my parents, they agreed to split the cost in half. Then they asked "Tablet or iPad?"
I'm not too sure of how to answer. As far as I'm concerned, isn't an iPad a tablet?

Cost doesn't bother me too much (as long as it isn't THAT much different from a regular tablet), since I'm gonna graduate soon and I'm gonna get a sort of graduation bonus from... a few people. XD
I don't have any kind words to spare to someone who already has all the reason in the world to feel good about himself.
http://roankun.wordpress.com/

redeyesblackpanda
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Eternal Memories, plot bunnies that won't die.
Organization: HellPanda Studios

#6 Post by redeyesblackpanda »

The tablets they are talking about are these kinds: http://www.wacom.com/en/Products/Bamboo ... blets.aspx
They feel like paper and you generally connect them to an actual computer.

The ipad has a limited number of and quality of apps that do things related to drawing. It also does not feel like paper. It isn't pressure sensitive either.

These are very different things. If you're going for drawing art, I would suggest looking into something besides the ipad (or other tablet PCs)
(All projects currently on a hiatus of sorts. I blame life.)
Tsundere VN
Not really checking the forums any more due to time constraints, so if you want to contact me, PM. I'll get a notification and log in. :mrgreen:
Also, I've been hit and run posting, which means I don't see many replies. If you want to respond to something I've said, also feel free to PM me.

NOTE: if you've got questions about vnovel or things like that, it's Leon that you should be contacting. Leon's been pretty much handling everything, but due to various reasons, I've had to withdraw entirely.

LateWhiteRabbit
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: The Space Between

#7 Post by LateWhiteRabbit »

roankun wrote: As far as I'm concerned, isn't an iPad a tablet?
NO! No, no, no. Negative, in other words, just to be super clear.

A graphics tablet is different from an iPad. You want a product that the Wacom company makes - they are the leader in graphics tablet tech. In fact, I've never met anyone with a tablet that wasn't a Wacom.

A graphics tablet uses a pen stylus with a plastic nib used to draw on the surface that translates that input into lines on the computer screen.
See this video for a demonstration of a graphics tablet.

An iPad can be used to sketch digitally, but it is still a very poor substitute for graphics tablets.

LVUER
King of Lolies
Completed: R.S.P

#8 Post by LVUER »

Say iPad 2 and then you buy Wacom Bamboo series yourself ;P
"Double the princesses, quadruple the fun!" - Haken Browning (SRW-OG Endless Frontier)

DeviantArt Account
MoeToMecha Blog (under construction)
Lolicondria Blog (under construction) <- NSFW

Junker-Kun
Regular
Completed: Manga Club
Organization: Mr's Hedgehogs team

#9 Post by Junker-Kun »

Does one really have to use a tablet to draw for VN's?
No. All you need is your hands and at least pencil with paper. Everything else is just a helpful tool. Before I had a tablet, I was drawing art on the paper then scaning it and tracing in photoshop with "Pen" tool. It took more time than with tablet but the effect was better than just drawing with mouse (though I know some people wro can draw amazing pictures only with mouse). The main disadvantage is that you can't change something that fast. You'll need to redo lines with "Pen" or redraw, rescan and only then redo lines. Takes a lot of time.
"Don’t be sad. Even if the world won’t forgive you, I’ll forgive you.
Don’t be sad. Even if you won’t forgive the world, I’ll forgive you.
So please tell me. How do I make you forgive me?"

Frederica Bernkastel

roankun
Regular

#10 Post by roankun »

Oh. Wow, now I kinda feel stupid for asking. XD Thanks for the answer, though. :D

So it's basically ermmm... Something like an application for a program? It won't work unless connected to a computer...? I was hoping for something I could use as a laptop for college, but... Well, buying a tablet like that when I don't even intend to go professional in the art community is kinda tight...

So... uuhh... My parents were kinda recommending a Samsung Galaxy tablet... Is that good enough? (They don't approve of the graphics tablet)
I don't have any kind words to spare to someone who already has all the reason in the world to feel good about himself.

Tetiel
Regular
Projects: Anton's Vacation EP 1 and 2 + Rising Angels (CGs/Character Selection), Katajion Kinetic Monthly (character sprites)

#11 Post by Tetiel »

You can actually use something like an iPad or the Samsung Galaxy to create art, but I imagine it would be severely limited in comparison to drawing at a desktop or a laptop (I use a laptop). Artists like Emperpep have used it. She even has a video here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Was8Lx5GDwg

The thing is digital drawing programs usually take up a lot of memory space. Not only that, most people prefer to use a very large canvas while drawing. Think... 4000+ px. The reason behind this is that you can make lineart smoother and more detailed and hide your mistakes easier on resizing xD By using the current tablets you're severely limited not only by power but also screen size. The benefits? I would LOVE to be able to zoom in like that. I can move the ring on my tablet, but I hate it and it doesn't respond as I would like v_v

If you feel like you do eventually want to get into digital drawing and have experimented with your mouse enough, you may want to consider saving up if you're able. My Bamboo Fun tablet has served me faithfully for three years now and it was around $80-90 CAD. They're basically a fraction of the cost a Galaxy would cost you :\

Oh, and I second the pen tool. I even use it now since I have a rather shaky hand when I've had too much coffee... which is often when I'm working on freelance stuff.

Sapphi
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Boku no Taisetsu na Yumeko
Projects: Twelve, PAW ★ PRINTS
Organization: Kitsch-soft

#12 Post by Sapphi »

roankun wrote: So it's basically ermmm... Something like an application for a program? It won't work unless connected to a computer...?
It's an input device, just like a keyboard or a mouse, but made so you can draw on it with a stylus. They usually don't have screens.

Don't feel bad about getting confused... I went to Best Buy and asked to see their graphics tablets, and the guy working led me straight to the tablet computers. Not what I meant... but nobody knows the difference now, because graphics tablets were not something that the majority of people knew existed in the first place.
"It is [the writer's] privilege to help man endure by lifting his heart,
by reminding him of the courage and honor and hope and pride
and compassion and pity and sacrifice which have been the glory of his past."
— William Faulkner
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬..+X+..▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

roankun
Regular

#13 Post by roankun »

Thanks!

I have a laptop AND a desktop myself, but I prefer the desktop so my mom practically owns the laptop by now. (She connects it to the TV lol)

I see... It's a lot cheaper than I imagined. I might just buy one for home use. :D I didn't actually want a Galaxy. I just thought it was the kind of tablet I needed for my hobby. I've only started drawing with the mouse for around a month, but I'm starting to get scared of... RPS, was it? Anyway, those things that require wrist surgery. XD

I'll try looking around for something. :D Thanks for the help!

@thedarkdefender. Sorry for hijacking your thread. XD

LVUER
King of Lolies
Completed: R.S.P

#14 Post by LVUER »

roankun wrote:(She connects it to the TV lol)
Hey, that's just what I want to do with my laptop. Haven't buy the TV though, it's pretty expensive.
roankun wrote:... RPS, was it? Anyway, those things that require wrist surgery. XD
You mean RSI (Repetitive Strain Injury)?

Yeah, that's scary. That's the reason why I buy myself a graphic tablet... since drawing with mouse hurts my wrist every time.
"Double the princesses, quadruple the fun!" - Haken Browning (SRW-OG Endless Frontier)

DeviantArt Account
MoeToMecha Blog (under construction)
Lolicondria Blog (under construction) <- NSFW

Junker-Kun
Regular
Completed: Manga Club
Organization: Mr's Hedgehogs team

#15 Post by Junker-Kun »

Um...that's not exactly on topic but I don't want to create new topic for such a little question.

Does anybody know if I can use pen from another Wacom tablet with my Bamboo Fun Pen & Touch?
"Don’t be sad. Even if the world won’t forgive you, I’ll forgive you.
Don’t be sad. Even if you won’t forgive the world, I’ll forgive you.
So please tell me. How do I make you forgive me?"

Frederica Bernkastel