Need Opinion/Preference

Questions, skill improvement, and respectful critique involving art assets.
NightsEternity

Need Opinion/Preference

#1 Post by NightsEternity »

I'm currently stuck on a small but important, detail in my drawing for the VN I'm currently working on.
(I apologize for the size in advance)

Which one do you like better?

With the eyebrow makes her show more emotion but on the other hand not showing the eyebrow makes it look more natural.

If anyone sees something wrong or just awkward about the drawing please feel free to point it out so I can fix it!
Last edited by NightsEternity on Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wingzofdarkness
Regular
Completed: Lads in Distress (NaNoReNo16 demo), Straight Up: Sister-zoned!

Re: Need Opinion/Preference

#2 Post by wingzofdarkness »

Hmm...maybe you should do the same for the other eyebrow on the second picture. It kind of contradicts what you're trying to achieve.
My preference is to not show the eyebrows because, like you said, it is more natural.

NightsEternity

#3 Post by NightsEternity »

wingzofdarkness wrote:Hmm...maybe you should do the same for the other eyebrow on the second picture. It kind of contradicts what you're trying to achieve.
My preference is to not show the eyebrows because, like you said, it is more natural.
Thanks, forgot about the other side. ^^;

And just to clarify, do you mean you just don't put them in or you don't make them show through hair? (Sorry my english isn't that great)

VagueZ

#4 Post by VagueZ »

My preference depends on intent. As you said, showing the eyebrows does hinder her expressing emotion. Is she supposed to be someone who we're supposed to really understand and key off of her emotions? Then show them anyway. Seeing them through hair doesn't look bad in your style. Seeing her without them makes her look less approachable, so if she's supposed to look less approachable, that's the way to go.

Either look is fine as far as design goes, and she does have a pretty cool character design there.

wingzofdarkness
Regular
Completed: Lads in Distress (NaNoReNo16 demo), Straight Up: Sister-zoned!

#5 Post by wingzofdarkness »

@NightsEternity
Haha, no eyebrows?
Yes, I would include eyebrows in the image, but I would not have the lines shown through the hair.

Eyebrows helps define emotion, but you have to remember that the eyes do that as well. Try changing up the eye narrowness/wideness to obtain different emotions. Together with eyebrows, they help bring the fullest of emotions.

NightsEternity

#6 Post by NightsEternity »

@VagueZ
Thank you what you've said really helped me make my decision!

@wingzofdarkness
Yes no eyebrows ^^; I've gone through a phase where my style had no eyebrows and still looked somewhat decent.

And I was thinking about adjusting the eyes but...unfortunately I'm a quite lazy and usually rely on the mouth and eyebrows for emotions.

Thank you both!

Tetiel
Regular
Projects: Anton's Vacation EP 1 and 2 + Rising Angels (CGs/Character Selection), Katajion Kinetic Monthly (character sprites)

#7 Post by Tetiel »

I think if you're going to show the lines for the eyebrow, you would need to slightly show the eye more as well. Otherwise it looks odd if the eye is covered up and you can see the eyebrow. I think because of the style of the character, you should hide that eyebrow.

I usually do show the eyebrows through the hairline, though. It helps a lot with expression especially since in anime the bangs often go to the eyeline xD

Zylinder
Veteran

#8 Post by Zylinder »

The second one looks better and more natural. If you're worried that her emotions aren't showing, you can add the eyelid line (also under the hair). It should help portray emotions a little better.