character sprite expression?

Questions, skill improvement, and respectful critique involving art assets.
Kimidori

character sprite expression?

#1 Post by Kimidori »

How many and what expression should a character have?

redeyesblackpanda
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Eternal Memories, plot bunnies that won't die.
Organization: HellPanda Studios

Re: character sprite expression?

#2 Post by redeyesblackpanda »

Characters can have any number of expressions. How many they need and what types they need are entirely reliant on what the writing needs of them. The simple answer is "as many as they need." :mrgreen:
(All projects currently on a hiatus of sorts. I blame life.)
Tsundere VN
Not really checking the forums any more due to time constraints, so if you want to contact me, PM. I'll get a notification and log in. :mrgreen:
Also, I've been hit and run posting, which means I don't see many replies. If you want to respond to something I've said, also feel free to PM me.

NOTE: if you've got questions about vnovel or things like that, it's Leon that you should be contacting. Leon's been pretty much handling everything, but due to various reasons, I've had to withdraw entirely.

Morishita
Veteran
Completed: A Troll's Fairy Tale
Projects: School Memories, Curse of the Caribbean,
Organization: S.K.Y. Art and Designs

#3 Post by Morishita »

I think this might be of help to you.
http://deji.ishtera.net/blog/?p=1899

kaleidofish
Veteran
Completed: Tell Her a Story (Nano12), In This Dream of Ours, The Mishka Effect (Nano14), Saving Zoey (Asylum Jam 2014), Fairly Dangerous (Nano15), Palette Swap (Nano16)
Projects: see my site!
Organization: Kaleidofish Studios, Team ANARKY
Tumblr: kaleidofish
Deviantart: kaleidofish

#4 Post by kaleidofish »

Morishita wrote:I think this might be of help to you.
http://deji.ishtera.net/blog/?p=1899
Thank you for providing that amazing link, Morishita.

jack_norton has also asked a similar question here. But, really, I agree with redeyesblackpanda. If one of your characters never cries during the course of your story, it would be a waste to of your time completing a sprite for that. It's all about what your story calls for.

Tetiel
Regular
Projects: Anton's Vacation EP 1 and 2 + Rising Angels (CGs/Character Selection), Katajion Kinetic Monthly (character sprites)

#5 Post by Tetiel »

Depends. I usually have about eight different eyes. Some might view that excessive, but I think the eyes show the most expression with the style that I do.

Normal (happy)
Looking away
Sad (with optional tears)
Angry
Surprised
Wink
Closed Up
Closed Down

Some may also be added for extreme faces like rage, fainting, dizzy, envy, hearts, >_< face... to give a few examples. I also use about 5 different eyebrows: happy/normal, surprised, sad, angry, raised eyebrow.

I'm just listing ones that I do for customizable sprites that can be used for just about anything. It may not be appropriate for your story to have them all, as kaleidofish said. It's really up to you, but try to have a variety.