MakeHuman - for easy characters creation

Questions, skill improvement, and respectful critique involving art assets.
abhifx

MakeHuman - for easy characters creation

#1 Post by abhifx »

hi everyone

creating characters for a visual should be a daunting task, so i was working this software called MakeHuman can be used as a tool for visual novels character creations.

as of now the software only creates realistic humans, supports blender with its plugin, clothes etc.

i have talked to the lead developer and he has said that a visual novel specific plugin called makeanime will be released soon. the project is fully open source and free for all usage :D

presently the project sorely needs artists in order to create assets (hair, clothes, creatures etc)

so if i guess its a win win for everyone.

anyone who wants to help and learn can visit http://www.makehuman.org. the IRC channel is #makehuman on irc.freenode.net
Last edited by abhifx on Sat Jan 28, 2012 11:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.

fleet
Eileen-Class Veteran
Deviantart: fleetp

Re: MakeHuman - for easy creation of characters

#2 Post by fleet »

I wish them success, but they have a tough battle ahead of them.
Some of my visual novels are at http://www.the-new-lagoon.com. They are NSFW
Poorly done hand-drawn art is still poorly done art. Be a Poser (or better yet, use DAZ Studio 3D) - dare to be different.

kaleidofish
Veteran
Completed: Tell Her a Story (Nano12), In This Dream of Ours, The Mishka Effect (Nano14), Saving Zoey (Asylum Jam 2014), Fairly Dangerous (Nano15), Palette Swap (Nano16)
Projects: see my site!
Organization: Kaleidofish Studios, Team ANARKY
Tumblr: kaleidofish
Deviantart: kaleidofish

Re: MakeHuman - for easy creation of characters

#3 Post by kaleidofish »

I once did quest designs for a failed game (too overly ambitious...) that used MakeHuman. I never touched the program, but it always did look interesting. I wouldn't use MakeHuman for any of my VNs, but if MakeAnime will be 2D, I might consider it. Best of luck with finding artists.

Manuel

Re: MakeHuman - for easy characters creation

#4 Post by Manuel »

Hi guys,
Abhi told me about your website. Many compliments: the forum hosts a very cool community.
I'm Manuel Bastioni, the team leader of MakeHuman project.
MakeHuman is not a newbie project: we are online since 2001, and the project is growing exponentially in last 3 years.
Being an open source project based on free contributors, passion and sharing spirit, the problem is that it's not so easy to find skilled artists that have time to help us.
For this reason we constantly call for new resources.

Currently we are working on many projects in parallel. One of them can be interesting for you.

- The goal is to make a professional tool to make 3D / 2D anime.
- The challenge is to make 3D models that are rendered as convincing anime. Where "convincing" means something that can appear like a Go Nagai work, not like a recent 3d movie character. It's really a challenge, because 2D character have some "impossible" volumes (for example hairs look the same from any point of view).

The following page illustrated one of my attempt, years ago, but currently MH make me too busy to complete it by myself.

http://makehuman.blogspot.com/2009/12/a ... -tool.html

Anyway, the first part of the task is completely 2D. We have to classify and make settei of the most common anime type. Maybe anyone wants to accept the challenge?

Best,
Manuel

Karl_C
Veteran

#5 Post by Karl_C »

I just played a bit with the 1.1 release and it's new 'posing' system:

At least very useful for those without any artistic skills (like me)... ;)

BTW: MakeHuman is free Software and runs under MS-Windows, MAC OS/X and Linux. Content created with MakeHuman is licensed under the CC0 license.
Attachments
makehuman1.1_5.jpeg
makehuman1.1_4.jpeg
makehuman1.1_3.jpeg
makehuman1.1_2.jpeg
makehuman1.1_1.jpeg

abhifx

#6 Post by abhifx »

MakeHuman's creator and maintainer has also created bastioni labs for human creation within blender. which also facilitates anime character creation. albit more complex as you must know how to use blender 3d software. but cool nonetheless

Renmiou
Regular
Completed: The End of an Actress (sprite art), Blackberry Honey (contributing CG artist), Rising Angels: Hope, Black Closet, Tuesday, Chronicle Of Mars, Tristan & Iseult, Heiress II
Projects: Blackberry Honey, Mermaid of Zennor, Tristan & Iseult, Chronicles of Mars, etc.
Deviantart: Renmiou

#7 Post by Renmiou »

Manuel wrote: The following page illustrated one of my attempt, years ago, but currently MH make me too busy to complete it by myself.

http://makehuman.blogspot.com/2009/12/a ... -tool.html

Anyway, the first part of the task is completely 2D. We have to classify and make settei of the most common anime type. Maybe anyone wants to accept the challenge?

Best,
Manuel
The link doesn't seem to work for me.

It's an interesting project, of course, I seem to remember some guy made a good 3D anime-inspired model quite some time ago http://blenderartists.org/forum/showthr ... d-costume) and there was a good one made by another Japanese artist, though not in Blender https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BES-O2q ... ogoroMouri and the TDA Hatsune Miku model is my favourite in terms of looking painted rather than 3D. I've inspected the file and they solve a lot of problems by having additional objects - for exaggerated expressions they simply have flat objects making the various >D<; @ _ @; etc.

Making 3D models that look as good as 2D stuff is definitely possible, just look at stuff like that TDA model or things like the Trusty Bell game. There are alternative solutions like the new options in live 2D for animated series, too, where the face is still 2D (and rotates with the camera) and the body is 3D.

Lots of things to take inspiration from!

Karl_C
Veteran

#8 Post by Karl_C »

Renmiou wrote:Making 3D models that look as good as 2D stuff is definitely possible,

I have no idea if this 3D models look as good as 2D stuff, but they were generated with a few clicks with MakeHuman and the MakeHuman 1.1 Anime Style Custom Target... ;)
Attachments
makehuman1.1_anime_5.jpeg
makehuman1.1_anime_4.jpeg
makehuman1.1_anime_3.jpeg
makehuman1.1_anime_2.jpeg
makehuman1.1_anime_1.jpeg