Hair woes

Questions, skill improvement, and respectful critique involving art assets.
VenusEclipse
Veteran
Completed: Princess of Ruin, Frozen Essence, Heartstring Bugs
Organization: Unbroken Hours
Tumblr: unbrokenhours
Deviantart: venus-eclipse

Hair woes

#1 Post by VenusEclipse »

I'm having trouble doing this hairstyle. I wonder what parts need fixing so he doesn't look awkward.
Attachments
hsbugslucas.png
hsbugslucas.png (26.9 KiB) Viewed 1676 times

LateWhiteRabbit
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: The Space Between

Re: Hair woes

#2 Post by LateWhiteRabbit »

It looks like you need to pay closer attention to the hair line on the head, since right now it is lumpy and uneven and doesn't appear to follow the 3 dimensional shape of the head. Also be sure you are drawing enough hair to cover where the skull should be in the back of the head. It appears that the head and hair are at slightly different angles as well.

Below is a nice run-down by Andrew Loomis:

VenusEclipse
Veteran

#3 Post by VenusEclipse »

Thank you LateWhiteRabbit. The page will be useful for future art as well. =)
I'll update the sprite head sometime.

Tetiel
Regular
Projects: Anton's Vacation EP 1 and 2 + Rising Angels (CGs/Character Selection), Katajion Kinetic Monthly (character sprites)

#4 Post by Tetiel »

I think ontop of what LateWhiteRabbit said, the light source is also unclear whether it's coming from above, above right, or above left. The hair seems a little too shiny on his right side of the face (I think the source is coming from the opposite side? It's hard to tell without shine in his eyes). Also, because of his head being at an angle, I think less of the "roots" of the hair would be showing. I don't know what kind of hair you have, but go to a mirror and pull your hair back if you can. Angle yourself to where he is. His face would be defined by his temples and browline, not his hair as much. A little bit would be visible, but I think if you thin that out a tad and push it to his right, it'll look much better. Keep in mind that the hairline is also usually a little more square than that so if you could push it down a little like this guy:
http://i.ehow.co.uk/images/a01/vt/7m/ma ... 00x800.jpg
It would also improve.

I hope this helps out. Dreads/cornrows are quite an ambitious thing to put on an anime character! I'm not sure I'd have an easy time drawing them at all so I'm looking forward to seeing the final result :D

VenusEclipse
Veteran

#5 Post by VenusEclipse »

I didn't know they are called cornrows. I'll come back with a cornrow draft sometime. I did a dread draft to see if I'm on the right track.
Part of the reason I need help on him is because dreads/cornrows are tough for me. :lol:

I'll redo the hair highlights when I redo the hairstyle to make sure the light source is from the top...in the final version.
Attachments
hsbugslucas2.jpg
hsbugslucas2.jpg (22.25 KiB) Viewed 1561 times