Could you answer this post please? It would help me alot :)

Questions, skill improvement, and respectful critique involving art assets.
KissOfDeath
Regular
Projects: Ikofá (In Development)

Could you answer this post please? It would help me alot :)

#1 Post by KissOfDeath »

I have a question; I want to make my own game someday soon, but I have literally no idea how to go about it or anything. I've sorta figured out how to use Ren'Py codes to make people pop up, and interact with the main character and then hide them, so I thought I'd start with just drawing characters, and wait for ideas on writing to come to me. [Back to the main question] Is there some software you recommend I download to draw and color the people, or could you tell me what you do? Like do you draw them on paper, scan it onto your computer, and then color them on some fancy software? I'd be really grateful for the advice. Thank you! :)
"Build your own pyramids, write your own hieroglyphs." -Kendrick Lamar
-KissOfDeath

Completed:
RE:Set Episode(s) 1 and 2 (Proofreader)
*A Troll's Fairy Tale* http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 11&t=20160 (Proofreader)

nyaatrap
Crawling Chaos

Re: Could you answer this post please? It would help me alot

#2 Post by nyaatrap »

500 sheets of copy papers and a 0.3 mm mechanical pencil, and a scanner are my recommendation to get started drawing, but if you want to use some CG application for entire drawing process (I don't recommend for a beginner though), Paint tool SAI is the easiest tool.
Currently, I draw a rough sketch on a copy paper first, then scan it, finally ink it and color it with SAI.
Last edited by nyaatrap on Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

redeyesblackpanda
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Eternal Memories, plot bunnies that won't die.
Organization: HellPanda Studios

#3 Post by redeyesblackpanda »

A lot of people get something like a Wacom tablet and use that to draw with their computer. I've heard of people using Photoshop, Sketchbook, SAI, and GIMP (which is free).
(All projects currently on a hiatus of sorts. I blame life.)
Tsundere VN
Not really checking the forums any more due to time constraints, so if you want to contact me, PM. I'll get a notification and log in. :mrgreen:
Also, I've been hit and run posting, which means I don't see many replies. If you want to respond to something I've said, also feel free to PM me.

NOTE: if you've got questions about vnovel or things like that, it's Leon that you should be contacting. Leon's been pretty much handling everything, but due to various reasons, I've had to withdraw entirely.

nyaatrap
Crawling Chaos

#4 Post by nyaatrap »

Anyway you need a scanner or a pen tablet, or both before start cg painting. Do you have one of them?

KissOfDeath
Regular

#5 Post by KissOfDeath »

nyaatrap wrote:Anyway you need a scanner or a pen tablet, or both before start cg painting. Do you have one of them?
I have a scanner, but not a pen tablet. I'll look into buying one, and thanks everyone for the advice so far :) It really helps having people help you get started :)
-KissOfDeath

Completed:
*A Troll's Fairy Tale* http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 11&t=20160 (Proofreader)

modesty
Regular
Completed: Line of Heroes
Projects: Captive Finwife, Trouble Brewing, Human Experiments

#6 Post by modesty »

Hi there.

So you want to start drawing eh?
Usually the best advice you can get is to Just do it.

JUST DO IT.

I find it best to draw by hand with good old pencil and paper. I've used the same mechanical pencil for at least 10 years. (It's fat and got a great grip.) But it is most important to explore and experiment to see what you are comfortable with.

Personally, I LOATHE inking on a computer. (Although the results are usually better.) I don't mind using brush tip pens or drafting pens on paper to get that bold line I want. It also negates the NEED for a pen tablet. Primarily a pen tablet helps with inking and painting. (Some people like to call it "shading".)

I know good artists who do all their CG with a mouse...and a crap ton of patience. Depending on your style, it should be easy.
For example:
I made this snowman graphic and all the snowflakes with only my laptop mouse. I used a vector program for this and it can be utilized.

But really my core message to you would be to remember that an artist is not defined by their tools. Having Photoshop or Sai will not make you a better artist. What works for one artist may not for another. You may find that you have a talent in colored pencils or marker coloring.

Any medium will take time to learn. Even with Photoshop and a pen tablet you can have some learning curve to overcome. As you can see here with some of MY early attempts at Photoshop with a Pen Tablet.
ImageImage
But over time...
You'll get better. There are lots of online tutorials and online art communities that can help you on your artistic journey!

LateWhiteRabbit
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: The Space Between

#7 Post by LateWhiteRabbit »

modesty wrote: So you want to start drawing eh?

JUST DO IT.
Best advice, hands down. Tools mean nothing without the talent. If you can't draw with a pencil, a tablet and Photoshop isn't going to help you.

I still prefer to draw on real paper with graphite pencils and then scan it in. I use my tablet mostly for painting and coloring.
modesty wrote: Personally, I LOATHE inking on a computer. (Although the results are usually better.)
Haha. Wow. We're the exact opposite. I loathe inking with brushes and Higgins ink. I love inking on the computer though. I can ink using vectors and re-size the drawing to any size without a loss of quality. Plus the lines will be 100% K black, and I can make all the mistakes I want, or redo a section without ruining anything. You could say that, as an artist, real ink gives me performance anxiety!

Auro-Cyanide
ssǝʇunoƆ ʇɹ∀
Completed: http://auro-cyanide.tumblr.com/visualnovels
Projects: Athena
Organization: Cyanide Tea
Tumblr: auro-cyanide
Deviantart: Auro-Cyanide

#8 Post by Auro-Cyanide »

I use Photoshop CS5 and an Intous 3 widescreen tablet. I pretty much do everything on the computer, from sketch to final work. http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/downlo ... &mode=view <<Work process.

But mine is a fairly expensive set up so you can start of much simpler. If you are pretty serious about going into digital art, try to get a small bamboo tablet (or similar) and try out Gimp or Sai.

KissOfDeath
Regular

#9 Post by KissOfDeath »

*w*
Wow, thank you everyone who took the time to reply, this information really helps! I really appreciate, I think out scope out all these options, but for now, I'll draw and scan until the summertime.
[I prefer not to have a job during the school year~too much to do]
But thank you again anyway, when I get a going, I'll post my most-likely cliché idea here lol
-KissOfDeath

Completed:

blueeyes1345
Regular
Projects: Short School Dating Sims Game
Organization: Emyth Zandra

#10 Post by blueeyes1345 »

I agree that drawing is something that requires practice and just getting down to doing it will actually helps

Don't think just draw. Draw the things you see, draw the things you like. Sooner or later you will get better and better. There is alot of online tutorial for colorings, drawings, inking and stuff.

I am also someone who like to draw using paper and pencil aka the traditional mediums and ink on the computer using photoshop. I don't really use vector as i kinda sux at it so i use the brush tool. I don't know about you but i have received feedback saying that my line stroke looks very clean as if i have done it using vector.

I would love to try out SAI as i heard it is a rather strong drawing software with alot of different functions but for beginners, photoshop is good enough. :D

15385bic
Miko-Class Veteran

#11 Post by 15385bic »

blueeyes1345 wrote: I would love to try out SAI as i heard it is a rather strong drawing software with alot of different functions but for beginners, photoshop is good enough. :D
Actually Sai is much easier for a beginner - I find that photoshop has so many extra functions its crazy. Plus in reality, SAI is cheaper than Photoshop unless you can get a free copy bundled with something else.
Photoshop is better for editing though

My suggestion is to draw until your eyes bleed T^T if you want to make quick progress. Otherwise take your time and just draw. Do pencil works first before you attempt CG's