My first question...

Questions, skill improvement, and respectful critique involving art assets.
bestscammer5

My first question...

#1 Post by bestscammer5 »

Ok so this is my first time posting and I'd like to ask: Let's say I've drawn my sprite then I scan it. How do I make it "transparent" so no white areas overlap the background?

Also how should I draw sprites? Redraw my character many times with a different expression each time? Or is there a shortcut?

Pretty general I know, but I'd appreciate it if you could give me beginner tips on making sprites... Storyline is going great :P

Oh yeah I'm using SAI, but I'm pretty much a newbie at it.

HigurashiKira
Miko-Class Veteran

Re: My first question...

#2 Post by HigurashiKira »

1- Trace out your drawing on a new layer, color in a layer(s) below the line art, remove base (hand drawn) image, and save as a PNG with alpha channel. This is an example of that technique
2- Draw your character once, then draw their expressions seprately (Eyes, mouth, eyebrows, etc.) this makes things faster as well as keeping a character well propotioned (Otherwise, it'll be obvious that you redrew the same person over for each expression since there will be diiferences).
3- Always go back to your old designs and improove them. You'd be surpised how much you can change in a short while. Also, try and find a quick way to do line art if you decide to do that.
I have moved to a new account. Please contact me here from now on. T/Y~