From Photo to Art - The Graphics of Faery Tale [UPDATED!]

Questions, skill improvement, and respectful critique involving art assets.
OokamiKasumi
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: 14 games released -- and Counting.
Organization: DarkErotica Games
Deviantart: OokamiKasumi

From Photo to Art - The Graphics of Faery Tale [UPDATED!]

#1 Post by OokamiKasumi »

Making the Graphics of Faery Tale
stage 7 Done.jpg
The most common question I get asked about the game Faery Tale, is How did I do the graphics?

The short answer is Photoshop.
-- Every image is a multi-layered photo-manipulation that was heavily filtered multiple times to make them look like fairy tale art.

I'm a big-time art nouveau fan, as in the art of Alphonse Mucha, so that was the style I was aiming for.

While I am not about to give away every single secret to my techniques, mainly because they took months of experimentation to figure out, I am willing to reveal the basic process.

It all begins with Photoshop and quite a few Art Plug-Ins, such as:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Topaz Labs: Clean 3, Adjust 4, and Simplify3
Alien Skin Snap Art 2
Imagenomic

And yes, I used ALL of these plug-ins for each image; background and characters.

The most important part of the process, however, is the Line Art. That was done using the Color Sketch action from 10 Sketch Effects, a Photoshop actions set that is available free on Deviant Art.

How I do it:
-- In Photoshop...

Stage 1: Pick a good image.
stage 1.jpg
Stage 2: Photo-manipulate the image to suit your needs, then duplicate the finished image so that you have two layers.
stage 2.jpg
Stage 3: Hide the copy layer.
-- On the Background layer, make the lines using the Color Sketch action from 10 Sketch Effects.
stage 3.jpg
Stage 4: Level the lines to darken them, then Reduce Noise to clean it. After that, Art Filter the line art to make them look more like a sketch.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Note:
-- I use a rather expensive art plug-in for this process, but you can make a somewhat rougher version for Free by using Drawing and Threshold Actions 1 by eGulumse, specifically, the first action: 1- Çizim+path. (Experiment with the different styles. You might find one that works better for you.)

The trick is to make your line art with the 1 Color Sketch action, SAVE A JPG COPY in your files, (but don't close it!!!) Run the 1- Çizim+path on the color sketch line art. This will give you this result:
stage 4b.jpg
Flatten Image, then Retrieve your saved jpg. Set the color jpg UNDER the black and white lines then set the black and white lines to Overlay. Merge the two layers.
stage 4c.jpg
The results are not as refined as what I use, but then I paid serious money for my plugin where this is Free. :)

Stage 5: Hide the line art layer. Turn on the copy layer and Art Filter the untouched layer to make it look like a painting or drawing, or both.
stage 5.jpg
I use another rather expensive plug in for this process, but Photo to Watercolour Action by cazcastalla is a fairly reasonable and Free substitute.
stage 5b.jpg
Stage 6: Turn on the Lines layer and set it on top of the Art layer. Set the Lines to Multiply at 50% Opacity, then Merge the layers.
stage 6.jpg
Stage 7: Overlay and Soft Light artistic textures over top of the whole thing to make the image look even more like art.

I overlay a personally created scribble texture to break up the flatness of the colors then softlight two different splotchy watercolor-style textures, but a sketch type screentone texture can work for the scribble texture, and watercolor textures are easy to find on DeviantArt.
stage 7 Done.jpg
All done!

The Secret to Clean Character PNGs.
-- One of the most common problems with using an image that was originally a photo for something like a character or free-floating object, is that damned White Outline that tends to show up no matter how closely you clean it.

I got around that issue by first cleaning each image at 300 magnification, and using the Eraser tool -- NOT the Outline tool then hitting Clear. Yes, it's a pain because it takes a while to do it that way, but it's the cleanest you will get it, and you won't get a ragged, pixelated edge.
Erase.png
Photo-manipulate as needed...

Next you add Inner Glow set to a Dark Color. I like to use a dark red or brown on character images because it blends well against skin tones.
InnerGlow3.jpg
InnerGlow2.jpg
The Dark Inner Glow effectively erases any white that might have snuck in despite your cleaning efforts.

THEN art filter your PNGs to your heart's content. Just be aware that many art filters will ADD a white outline that will need to be cleaned off again.
InnerGlow6.jpg
Once you have finished Art Filtering your images, add Inner Glow again, set to Black this time at at 2 px or less to cover any white that might have slipped in during the Art Filtering process.
InnerGlow5.jpg
The best way to check for any white edging that might have slipped into your image is by putting your character against a Black Background.
InnerGlow7.jpg
And there you have it, characters that actually blend in with their backgrounds.
InnerGlow8.jpg
Enjoy!
Last edited by OokamiKasumi on Fri Oct 18, 2013 1:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ookami Kasumi ~ Purveyor of fine Smut.
Most recent Games Completed: For ALL my completed games visit: DarkErotica Games

"No amount of great animation will save a bad story." -- John Lasseter of Pixar

Auro-Cyanide
ssǝʇunoƆ ʇɹ∀
Completed: http://auro-cyanide.tumblr.com/visualnovels
Projects: Athena
Organization: Cyanide Tea
Tumblr: auro-cyanide
Deviantart: Auro-Cyanide

Re: Making the Graphics of Faery Tale

#2 Post by Auro-Cyanide »

I have been a big fan of your photo manipulations, so it's great to see the process. Thank you very much for sharing!

<_< >_> *steals trade secrets and runs away*
Last edited by Auro-Cyanide on Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:02 am, edited 2 times in total.

OokamiKasumi
Eileen-Class Veteran

#3 Post by OokamiKasumi »

Auro-Cyanide wrote:I have been a big fan of your photo manipulations, so it's great to see the process. Thank you very much for sharing! <_< >_> *steals trade secrets and runs away*
I'm glad you liked it! (I hope I don't regret it.)
-- Even though this is a bare bones tutorial, I don't go into what art filters I use where, it might at least provide some ideas to those using photos for backgrounds. It's not a perfect solution by any means, but this style would work with drawn characters a little better than some filtering techniques I've seen.
Most recent Games Completed: For ALL my completed games visit: DarkErotica Games

Auro-Cyanide
ssǝʇunoƆ ʇɹ∀

#4 Post by Auro-Cyanide »

OokamiKasumi wrote:
Auro-Cyanide wrote:I have been a big fan of your photo manipulations, so it's great to see the process. Thank you very much for sharing! <_< >_> *steals trade secrets and runs away*
I'm glad you liked it! (I hope I don't regret it.)
-- Even though this is a bare bones tutorial, I don't go into what art filters I use where, it might at least provide some ideas to those using photos for backgrounds. It's not a perfect solution by any means, but this style would work with drawn characters a little better than some filtering techniques I've seen.
Haha XD
But it is very interesting to see what can be done with filters. I might have to give this a go and see what I can get when I mix with my usual techniques. I like the control my usual backgrounds give me but my god they are time consuming. Nanoreno might give me a good opportunity to try it out. It's good for people to experiment anyway, spoon feeding won't help them learn how to figure out what to do to make things work. Thanks again.

OokamiKasumi
Eileen-Class Veteran

#5 Post by OokamiKasumi »

Auro-Cyanide wrote: Haha XD
But it is very interesting to see what can be done with filters. I might have to give this a go and see what I can get when I mix with my usual techniques. I like the control my usual backgrounds give me but my god they are time consuming. Nanoreno might give me a good opportunity to try it out.

I would love to see what you come up with! I may be clever with Photoshop, but you're 10 times the artist I am. I couldn't even begin to make backgrounds the way you do. Forget about characters.
Auro-Cyanide wrote:It's good for people to experiment anyway, spoon feeding won't help them learn how to figure out what to do to make things work.
Agreed! Personally, I'm very interested to see what people do with this.

15385bic
Miko-Class Veteran

#6 Post by 15385bic »

WOW - that photo is beautiful....and getting to stage 5/6 OoO!
this looks cool

OokamiKasumi
Eileen-Class Veteran

#7 Post by OokamiKasumi »

15385bic wrote:WOW - that photo is beautiful...
When I first saw it it blew my mind away. It's a Hunting Lodge, would you believe? It's called Amalienburg. It's a small building set in the woods of Schloss Nymphenburg, in Bavaria, made in the Rococco style.
15385bic wrote:...and getting to stage 5/6 OoO! this looks cool
The transformation is a bit dramatic. :) I'm glad you like the effect!

MaiMai
Yandere
Completed: [Phase Shift]
Projects: [ None ]
Organization: Paper Stars
Tumblr: maiscribbles
Deviantart: maiscribble

#8 Post by MaiMai »

Wow, I like the effect of the background pic. Definitely bookmarking this just in case.
Image COMMISSIONS AVAILABLE (check Tumblr sidebar)

Fawn
Moe Imouto

#9 Post by Fawn »

Very pretty style :) to be honest though I really like the background at stage 5 the best; without the lines. The lines are a bit much for a background imo. I think if you just added the final step (lights) to stage 5 it would look perfect. :)

Good idea with the outline effect on characters! It's funny how unnoticeable it is when you don't think about it, but without the outline the character doesn't fit in as well. Lovely!

OokamiKasumi
Eileen-Class Veteran

#10 Post by OokamiKasumi »

MaiMai wrote:Wow, I like the effect of the background pic. Definitely bookmarking this just in case.
Bookmark away! If you do decide to try it, I'd be very interested in seeing your results.
Fawn wrote:Very pretty style :)
Thank you!
Fawn wrote:...to be honest though I really like the background at stage 5 the best; without the lines. The lines are a bit much for a background imo. I think if you just added the final step (lights) to stage 5 it would look perfect. :)
Doing it as you suggested results in this.

View Full Size

Your mileage may vary, but I don't like the lack of detail.

However, setting the lines to 35% Opacity brings those details back without overpowering the art layer.

View Full Size

I really like this effect. In fact, I may have to do it this way from now on...!
Fawn wrote:Good idea with the outline effect on characters! It's funny how unnoticeable it is when you don't think about it, but without the outline the character doesn't fit in as well. Lovely!
Thank you! Truthfully, I was merely looking for a way to get rid of that white outline that seems to always show up when you put them in Renpy. It's one of my happier accidents. :)

Auro-Cyanide
ssǝʇunoƆ ʇɹ∀

#11 Post by Auro-Cyanide »

Thank you OokamiKasumi, I love you <3

I took some pieces from what you explained and it worked brilliantly! I think it shaved 8-10 hours off my work time. Thank you!

Here is what I did. There is a fair bit of painting involved but I experimented with the filters as well to see what I could do about laying done base colours. It's a much more efficient way of getting things done, I must say.

Also, hunting lodge? HUNTING LODGE!? O.o That's one fancy hunting lodge.

Endorphin
Veteran

#12 Post by Endorphin »

OokamiKasumi
;_________________________;
How could you?
I tried out filters on photos and now I'm really tempted to just throw some photos together, merge them into one and the filter them instead of drawing. Dx
(And here I told myself that I'll definitely draw the BGs for practice.)
But with the BGs look ideal - my ideal "drawing style" in just a few clicks.
(Gotta resist this sweet temptation... I'd have the BGs finished in a few days...)

Nah, but really - thank you for this. =)
I'll pay more attention to filters from now on~ =w=
(I was also very impressed - never thought you could make a photo look so painted.)

Auro-Cyanide
Great result! *___*
When I first saw it in the game thread I thought it was a photo - you know, in the painted way.
(How do I clarify it? I was sure you painted accurately enough to look like a photo, not that it was a photo that was edited.)
Painting on it was a great idea too - it looks really natural. =)

- R.

OokamiKasumi
Eileen-Class Veteran

#13 Post by OokamiKasumi »

Auro-Cyanide wrote:Thank you OokamiKasumi, I love you <3
I took some pieces from what you explained and it worked brilliantly!
OMG... Yes it did! That's gorgeous, AND it goes well with your characters.
Auro-Cyanide wrote:I think it shaved 8-10 hours off my work time. Thank you!
You were taking That Long to make a background?! Holy crap...
Auro-Cyanide wrote:Here is what I did.
Gorgeous!
-- I knew the instant I spat out how I did it, someone would run off and do it 10 times better than me. ~sigh...
Auro-Cyanide wrote:There is a fair bit of painting involved but I experimented with the filters as well to see what I could do about laying down base colours. It's a much more efficient way of getting things done, I must say.
No lie on the efficiency, especially if you have a lot of background images. Photo-doctoring is still something of a time-consuming stage, (NO photo is exactly right,) but if you set up an Action, the filtering process is done in SECONDS!

The hardest part is finding images with the correct angle of Perspective. I can fix it when the the top of the image bows out or in, but too many people take pictures from a Standing position and look DOWN on their subject. This screws up the perspective every time. Unless the character is 7 feet tall, they will NOT look right against such an image.
Auro-Cyanide wrote:Also, hunting lodge? HUNTING LODGE!? O.o That's one fancy hunting lodge.
Yep, a hunting lodge, owned by a Queen of Bavaria, and parked on the corner of the palace grounds. You should see some of the others!
Ryouko wrote:OokamiKasumi ;___; How could you?
Simple: I am an EVIL influence and I LOVE tempting people to the Dark Side.
Ryouko wrote:I tried out filters on photos and now I'm really tempted to just throw some photos together, merge them into one and the filter them instead of drawing. Dx
Which is Exactly how "I" do it! Mwa-ha-ha-ha-haaaaa....!
Ryouko wrote:(And here I told myself that I'll definitely draw the BGs for practice.) But with the BGs look ideal - my ideal "drawing style" in just a few clicks.
Okay, so I'm good with Photoshop.
-- My specialty is writing, not art, and I am Not Alone. I don't know about the other non-artists, but I for one have no interest in giving up on game-making, or settling for a crappy-looking game simply because I can't draw. Or worse; pay someone to make backgrounds and characters for a 30 minute game I may not ever complete.

My work will never look like something from an anime, but that's okay because I doubt I will ever write a story that will need those sorts of characters.
Ryouko wrote:(Gotta resist this sweet temptation... I'd have the BGs finished in a few days...)
No, you don't. The backgrounds of many commercial games here in the US are Photo-manipulated together then Art-Filtered. Check out Gardens of Time, an online hidden object game owned by Playdom. Almost all of that game's Hidden Object backgrounds are photos pasted on a SketchUp or Daz backdrop then art-filtered.

So no, Don't Resist. Really.
Ryouko wrote:Nah, but really - thank you for this. =)
You're welcome.
Ryouko wrote:I'll pay more attention to filters from now on~ =w=
Do that. It'll save you time and grief in the long run, especially if you plan to make more then One game.

Ryouko wrote:I was also very impressed - never thought you could make a photo look so painted.
There are some amazing (read: expensive) programs out there that do incredible things.

Auro-Cyanide
ssǝʇunoƆ ʇɹ∀

#14 Post by Auro-Cyanide »

OokamiKasumi wrote:
Auro-Cyanide wrote:Thank you OokamiKasumi, I love you <3
I took some pieces from what you explained and it worked brilliantly!
OMG... Yes it did! That's gorgeous, AND it goes well with your characters.
Auro-Cyanide wrote:I think it shaved 8-10 hours off my work time. Thank you!
You were taking That Long to make a background?! Holy crap...
Auro-Cyanide wrote:Here is what I did.
Gorgeous!
-- I knew the instant I spat out how I did it, someone would run off and do it 10 times better than me. ~sigh...
Auro-Cyanide wrote:There is a fair bit of painting involved but I experimented with the filters as well to see what I could do about laying down base colours. It's a much more efficient way of getting things done, I must say.
No lie on the efficiency, especially if you have a lot of background images. Photo-doctoring is still something of a time-consuming stage, (NO photo is exactly right,) but if you set up an Action, the filtering process is done in SECONDS!

The hardest part is finding images with the correct angle of Perspective. I can fix it when the the top of the image bows out or in, but too many people take pictures from a Standing position and look DOWN on their subject. This screws up the perspective every time. Unless the character is 7 feet tall, they will NOT look right against such an image.
Auro-Cyanide wrote:Also, hunting lodge? HUNTING LODGE!? O.o That's one fancy hunting lodge.
Yep, a hunting lodge, owned by a Queen of Bavaria, and parked on the corner of the palace grounds. You should see some of the others!
Yeah, backgrounds to tak a while -.-; That's why I'm very happy to find a quicker way. I'll outline my process too when I have some time after NaNoRenO since that's only fair :) I still haven't figured out how you did yours though and they have such a beautiful style about them!

Pfft, I want a hunting lodge like that o.o

OokamiKasumi
Eileen-Class Veteran

#15 Post by OokamiKasumi »

Auro-Cyanide wrote:Yeah, backgrounds do take a while -.-; That's why I'm very happy to find a quicker way. I'll outline my process too when I have some time after NaNoRenO since that's only fair :)
I didn't give you all of mine, so only a sketch of your process is fine for me. :)
Auro-Cyanide wrote:I still haven't figured out how you did yours though and they have such a beautiful style about them!
It's the specific art plug-ins I use, seriously. TOPAZ <-- There's your clue.
Auro-Cyanide wrote:Pfft, I want a hunting lodge like that o.o
Me too. ~! *whine*