Any Cool Uses for Vector Drawing Software?

Questions, skill improvement, and respectful critique involving art assets.
Obscura
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Coming Out On Top

Any Cool Uses for Vector Drawing Software?

#1 Post by Obscura »

Hi artists! I just bought a vector drawing app for my ipad, because I thought it would be interesting to try vector-based drawing.

Does anybody here draw using vectors or know any cool uses for it? I was thinking I might redo my current backgrounds by outlining them and recoloring with this vector software...not sure how that will work out but will probably experiment a bit.
Coming Out On Top - An Adult Gay Dating Sim
website

Auro-Cyanide
ssǝʇunoƆ ʇɹ∀
Completed: http://auro-cyanide.tumblr.com/visualnovels
Projects: Athena
Organization: Cyanide Tea
Tumblr: auro-cyanide
Deviantart: Auro-Cyanide

Re: Any Cool Uses for Vector Drawing Software?

#2 Post by Auro-Cyanide »

I use Illustrator, but generally only for type/logo/icon work since I much prefer Photoshop for art stuff.

There is also a freeware program called Inkscape that does vectors.

The benefit of using vector is that they are based on mathematical equations and not pixels, this means they are infinitely scalable.

Obscura
Eileen-Class Veteran

#3 Post by Obscura »

Thanks for your response! Are the lines in your regular artwork using the regular brush or pencil tool then? I'm very impressed that your outlines are so smooth and polished!
website

nyaatrap
Crawling Chaos

#4 Post by nyaatrap »

Vectors can be used to create UIs and SFXs. For example, I made an animation of the slash attack on my game with vectors. In the case of creating backgrounds, 3D tools must be much better (There is a tutorial of how to make 3D background in this forum but I forget the URL ._. ).

luminarious
Veteran
Projects: Winter, winter

#5 Post by luminarious »

It all depends on the style you're going for. I really like this background for example (for the Wakfu TV series), and I don't it would look as good if it was done in anything else than vectors.

Obscura
Eileen-Class Veteran

#6 Post by Obscura »

nyaatrap--I did see a 3d tutorial using Google sketchup, but I was a little confused as to whether it is permissible to use objects from google sketchup in games. I have found things that say you have to contact the author to use existing buildings, etc. in a game...but maybe I'm wrong.

luminarious--that's really gorgeous. I didn't even realize vectors were an option for a lot of drawings until, um, today. (Yup, I'm kinda new at this.)
website

Auro-Cyanide
ssǝʇunoƆ ʇɹ∀
Completed: http://auro-cyanide.tumblr.com/visualnovels
Projects: Athena
Organization: Cyanide Tea
Tumblr: auro-cyanide
Deviantart: Auro-Cyanide

#7 Post by Auro-Cyanide »

Obscura wrote:Thanks for your response! Are the lines in your regular artwork using the regular brush or pencil tool then? I'm very impressed that your outlines are so smooth and polished!
I use the brush tool (normal default hard edged one with pen pressure) and a tablet. I really like it because it allows me to have line variation easily. When I first started I had a lot of trouble getting smooth linework. I used to zoom in and painstakingly and slowly follow my sketch and then whittle down my wobbles with an eraser. I, however, am an extremely impatient person, so this was never going to work. I found for me the best way to work, especially on longer lines, was to zoom out a bit and draw the entire line quickly. You had to act with more confidence and it usually take a few tries to get the line right, but it's much faster this way.

You can get absolutely beautiful work from vectors, all the way up to realistic portraits. HOWEVER, it's extremely time consuming (and frankly you can do it faster in a bit map program as long as scale wasn't an issue) and the more detailed a work is, the more points you have and the more strain it will be on a computer.

I was going to show you a vector I did back in uni, but I have no idea where it is anymore XD

justblue
Regular
Projects: The Mask of Joy

#8 Post by justblue »

just want to let you know that this is also a vector, done by just using a mouse
and its cool enough for me 8)
Vector is simple yet Cool!!
sorry for a bad grammar :mrgreen:
currently working for this project:
Head Space - The Mask of Joy

open commission
Character artist & flash programmer at your service. kid-blue.deviantart.com

15385bic
Miko-Class Veteran

#9 Post by 15385bic »

justblue wrote:just want to let you know that this is also a vector, done by just using a mouse
and its cool enough for me 8)
Vector is simple yet Cool!!
sorry for a bad grammar :mrgreen:
ur thick line characters look so cool X)

Obscura
Eileen-Class Veteran

#10 Post by Obscura »

Auro-cyanide--thanks for the tip!!! I'm very wobbly right now. I'd be confident too if my artwork looked like yours!!! (OMG, I just noticed your name is auro, not auto-cyanide, which was how I said it in my head this whole time.)

Justblue--that's pretty awesome. And actually amazing considering a mouse was used. My mouse drawings look like MS paint pictures from the early 90s.
website

justblue
Regular
Projects: The Mask of Joy

#11 Post by justblue »

Obscura wrote:Justblue--that's pretty awesome. And actually amazing considering a mouse was used. My mouse drawings look like MS paint pictures from the early 90s.
try using line tool or pen tool, somehow a mouse'll make everything FASTER and more precise. :D
currently working for this project:
Head Space - The Mask of Joy

open commission
Character artist & flash programmer at your service. kid-blue.deviantart.com