UI design help?

Questions, skill improvement, and respectful critique involving art assets.
Joey
Regular
Projects: Water's Edge
Organization: Etoranze

UI design help?

#1 Post by Joey »

(UI design counts as Art I assume?)

I'm really troubled about this, so here goes:
collection.png
*the silhouette for the prefs screen is supposed to be different from the main menu's, but my artist's not done with it :c

This is the current UI I have for my team's NaNoReNo game, and I'm stuck so I need these questions answered if anyone's up to it :'D

1. How do I make it more cohesive?
I dunno, the more I look at it the more it looks... wrong. The top two screens look fine when I'm accessing them from each other but when I access the Prefs screen from the main game there's this jump that I experience which I don't quite like and have no idea how to get to fixing.

2. It's a KN, so what should the save screen look like?
Sorry if it sounds like I'm trying to get people to do my dirty work for me (I'm not, I promise T-T) but I'm also stumped on how to design it, since none of the themed buttons that I've come up with are, for lack of a better word, solid or boxy and look like they can contain the data. And since it' s a KN I'm wondering if I should bother showing more than 1 or 2 save slots at all. When I try to picture having a row of numbers at the top like the default Ren'Py save/load screens I get a very cluttered image.

Thanks much in advance! (and sorry if you don't understand what I'm talking about, I phrase things oddly when I can't think clearly)
Image (devblog) || devtwitter | devtumblr

Hijiri
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Death Rule:lost code Overdrive Edition, Where the White Doves Rest-Tsumihanseishi
Projects: Death Rule: Killing System
Organization: MESI Games
IRC Nick: Hizi
Tumblr: mesigames
itch: hijiri

Re: UI design help?

#2 Post by Hijiri »

From my point of view, the UI looks excellent, and I don't see anything wrong.
About that jump: have you tried changing this?

Code: Select all

config.enter_transition = None
If not, change it to a transition and see if that works.

Save/Load screen:
That depends on the theme of your game. Usually, it's best to try and make the save/load screen match up woth the theme. So say we have a starry background like in your example of the menu. Why not isolate certain stars into boxes and use those points as save points?
Image Image
"Perfection goal that always changes. Can pursue, cannot obtain."