Art Learning Resources

Questions, skill improvement, and respectful critique involving art assets.
destiny_921
Regular
Completed: Closure [KN]
Projects: The Universal Hope (writer, WIP)

Re: Art Learning Resources

#61 Post by destiny_921 »

Brusheezy is a brilliant site for Photoshop brushes, patterns and textures.etc. Before my PC got reformatted (and....Photoshop passed away along with it *emos* too much of a hassle to get everything...again) I often used their brushes. They have anything and everything - even for the older versions of Photoshop! :D They also have brushes for grasses, flowers and TONS more. It's like, brush heaven or something :lol:

And did I mention that like, 90% of their stuff is free? Hehe~ Except for the premium stuff, of course. Enjoy! ^-^
“Think left and think right and think low and think high. Oh, the thinks you can think up if only you try”
– Dr. Seuss

::Completed:: Closure (KN)
::WIPs:: The Universal Hope

::Misc::
Writing Guide

DeeKay
Veteran

#62 Post by DeeKay »

Hnngh, so busy these days ! Feels like ages since my last post..

Anyway, I've just got an email about the new version of Manga Studio for those who are interested.
Apparently it's based off Clip Studio so that's pretty neat and it's available on Mac as well ! What more is there to tell ? :p

Link => Manga Studio 5

More on that when I get my copy and have more free time to test it out ^^'
-- No longer active --
-- English/French Translation topic here
-- Hope~ - Symphony of Tomorrow alpha demo playthrough here (1h35mn long video !)

-- Current avatar by SilverHyena => her DA account

-- Check out this project if you have some time !

Rins_Japan

#63 Post by Rins_Japan »

I recommend http://www.proko.com/videos/ to learn drawing fundamentals. I had trouble drawing heads from different views, but his videos taught me simple ways to do this.

Revi

#64 Post by Revi »

Pixelovely is a good site you're looking for a place that uses real stock photography of both people and animals as art references. I definitely recommend it because it's a huge help if you're currently practicing drawing different body types and are looking for a good site with references for it.

Geckos
Veteran
Completed: Brilliant Shadows, Perceptions of the Dead, The Phantom Icecream Truck
Projects: Embers of Magic, Pale Spectrum, Perceptions of the Dead
Organization: Ithaqua Labs
Tumblr: geckosart
Deviantart: sitaart

#65 Post by Geckos »

This artist on deviantart has a wealth of tutorials for the body that should definitely be looked at.

Anime to Realism 12
Image ImageImage

leon
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Visual Novel Tycoon, Night at the Hospital, Time Labyrinth, The Buried Moon, Left of Center, Super Otome Quest
Projects: Lemon Project, Porcelain Heart, Dream's Dénouement
Organization: Team ANARKY

#66 Post by leon »

Drawing Techniques with Jacque Fresco - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RnB0aH90qtc
This video makes drawing look so simple it's amazing... Teaches stuff from drawing lines to the basics of drawing a realistic face in 1 hour and 20 minutes.

muggy8
Regular

#67 Post by muggy8 »

another one for 3D:

Cinema 4D: It's not really standard but it's got a pretty light learning curve and does alot of stuff. modeling, texturing, animating, physics simulation etc etc. just not as well as maya but if your just starting out, it's a fair bit less intimidating to look at than maya. picture it as 3DSMax by a different company.

Obscura
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Coming Out On Top

#68 Post by Obscura »

Didn't see a link to this yet.

Very cool and awesome moveable skeleton, helpful for foreshortening, proportions, etc.

http://www.kineman.com/
Coming Out On Top - An Adult Gay Dating Sim
website

MaiMai
Yandere
Completed: [Phase Shift]
Projects: [ None ]
Organization: Paper Stars
Tumblr: maiscribbles
Deviantart: maiscribble

#69 Post by MaiMai »

This hasn't been posted on the OP post yet so here I am with a new discovery that I found through Tumblr!

Mischief seems to be a relatively new vector/drawing program almost in the vein of Paint Tool SAI, but as it says on the front page, it boasts "Infinite Definition, Canvas, and Unprecedented Zoom." I'm especially interested in the Infinite Canvas because it allows illustrations to grow organically and then you have more freedom in choosing your image dimensions and cropping.

There's a 15 day free trial (which I literally just downloaded right now and will give my opinions on it) and the price for the full version so far is 129 USD. It's available for both Windows and Mac. System requirements can be found on the download page.

EDIT: Kind of an issue downloading for Windows, hmm...

EDIT 2: OKAY for people with Windows, just follow the directions on this post to use the 15 Day Trial properly: http://meschwitz.tumblr.com/post/526849 ... a-mischief
Image COMMISSIONS AVAILABLE (check Tumblr sidebar)

myapple
Regular
Projects: RoG2.0, Stirling
Organization: red inc.

#70 Post by myapple »

I haven't seen this posted before (I think): Sycra's coil technique for drawing foreshortening on limbs (and other things, since it's a technique that could easily be applied to other things as well). This video basically blew my mind in terms of foreshortening, because i've always either eyeballed things or used photo references.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJWLaDSN ... PM5bMCekBg

There are a crapton of videos on his channel with a ton of different techniques and stuff (regarding poses, character design, painting, and... basically everything you would want to find).
His critiques in particular I found to be enlightening.

MaiMai
Yandere
Completed: [Phase Shift]
Projects: [ None ]
Organization: Paper Stars
Tumblr: maiscribbles
Deviantart: maiscribble

#71 Post by MaiMai »

I was going to make a separate topic for this, but I feel like this could be a little more useful here.

How to Become An Artist by Simander is an interesting "tutorial" of sorts on the path to "becoming" rather than "being" a good artist. It's fairly wordy, but I'm really pleased with all the advice it has nailed down. I find myself repeating a lot of what the tutorial says to other people who say they want to start drawing and ask how other artists how they gained their skill. It's not out of thin air people! Not saying this tutorial is the RIGHT way since I think everyone is going to work differently at their own pace, but practice, practice, practice has always been great advice for art as well as making sure you get rid of certain mindsets that mentally prevent a person from improving.
Image COMMISSIONS AVAILABLE (check Tumblr sidebar)

LateWhiteRabbit
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: The Space Between

#72 Post by LateWhiteRabbit »

MaiMai wrote:I was going to make a separate topic for this, but I feel like this could be a little more useful here.

How to Become An Artist by Simander is an interesting "tutorial" of sorts on the path to "becoming" rather than "being" a good artist. It's fairly wordy, but I'm really pleased with all the advice it has nailed down. I find myself repeating a lot of what the tutorial says to other people who say they want to start drawing and ask how other artists how they gained their skill. It's not out of thin air people! Not saying this tutorial is the RIGHT way since I think everyone is going to work differently at their own pace, but practice, practice, practice has always been great advice for art as well as making sure you get rid of certain mindsets that mentally prevent a person from improving.
This is marvelous. I can't count how many times I've had to dissuade someone of the notion that "talent" is a magical gift some are born with and others aren't. It is practice. "Natural" artists are the kids that didn't stop drawing when they realized their drawings were bad.

I also can't stand the question, "What program/paper/pencil did you use?" Because that isn't the real question being asked. The real question behind that one is, "What is the magical thing that will make me better?"

Simander's tutorial should be mandatory reading for beginners, especially that first section.

Tempus
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Ladykiller in a Bind
Projects: StoryDevs
Tumblr: jakebowkett
Deviantart: jakebowkett
Github: jakebowkett

#73 Post by Tempus »

I'm in full agreement. I particularly like the idea of keeping your really old beginning stuff. I still have some of mine and now and then have a look at it and compare current work to it. A lot of my old music just sounds like random consonant notes thrown together :D This actually reminds me of an article by Still Eating Oranges.

Another thing is that whether someone is an artist, musician, or whatever, they need to enjoy the process of creation as well or at least find it interesting or fulfilling. There's nothing wrong with trying to make it more efficient, but someone won't get far if they resent the process.
LateWhiteRabbit wrote:I also can't stand the question, "What program/paper/pencil did you use?" Because that isn't the real question being asked. The real question behind that one is, "What is the magical thing that will make me better?"
Aye, aye. The ol' magic diet pill :D What do you mean I have to exercise and eat right?! I just tell people what *can* be used for art / music and follow up with "but the principles are the same regardless of the program / medium."
StoryDevs — easy-to-search profiles for VN devs (under construction!)

truefaiterman
Veteran
Completed: EVOLVEd: Echoes of the Codex War. [ASH] The Seeds of Destruction
Projects: One Night of [SNOW], Stained with Magic
Deviantart: truefaiterman

#74 Post by truefaiterman »

I took a quick look at the list and I haven't seen this, I'm sorry if I missed it.

http://www.artnatomia.net/uk/artnatomiaIng.html
Artnatomia (artnatomy) gives you a model portrait in 2D. You can control the face's muscles to form a lot of different expressions. This way you can learn a lot about the face, and also you can have a good reference.

Also, for laughs...
-Press LEVEL II
-In Eyebrows click Depression
-In Eyelids click Compression
-In Corners of Mouth click Elevation
-Say hi to Max Payne:

Artist and voice actor, trying to actually write stuff.

ArtStation portfolio
Youtube channel

Recent finished projects:

Image Image

Starshine
Veteran
Completed: http://berry-melon.blogspot.co.uk/2016/ ... -2016.html
Projects: Pancake Surprise (2016)
Tumblr: http://bettybooplover.tumblr.com
Deviantart: berry-melon
Soundcloud: sweepea-1

#75 Post by Starshine »

Rins_Japan wrote:I recommend http://www.proko.com/videos/ to learn drawing fundamentals. I had trouble drawing heads from different views, but his videos taught me simple ways to do this.
That site is amazing... thanks for the link.
http://berry-melon.blogspot.com
I'm not resting until I find
What would make your eyes
Glisten like mine
With loves divine!

Boo-Boo I couldn't aspire....to anything...
Higher...than to fill that one desire to make it
My own....Bop-Bop-a-Dop-Boop-Oop-a-Doop honey?