Which style is the best ?

Questions, skill improvement, and respectful critique involving art assets.
Cinnamoon
Regular
Projects: Crystal Aria ~Starlight (20%), かわいいなリズム (38%)
Organization: CoffeeCat

Which style is the best ?

#1 Post by Cinnamoon »

Hello everyone~*

I'm trying to make the art for my visual novel "Chasing Dreams" (it is GxB).
I draw one of the character (his name is Alexander by the way ^^) twice, but I can't decide which style should I go for.
(the first one was made traditionally, the other one digitally)

Thank you~

Michiyo6918
Veteran
Projects: ╮(╯▽╰)╭

Re: Which style is the best ?

#2 Post by Michiyo6918 »

Hmp... While the first one is really cute but I would totally go for the second one :D (In my opinion, he's more detail than the other one and yeah, smexy :lol: )

Good luck on your VN by the way!
Tumblr | DA | Honest Critique
“如果那个人是神。
他想渎神。
——【黑匣子】”

Sharm
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Twin Crowns, Weather Wizard

#3 Post by Sharm »

I would like the second one best, but that eye style creeps me out. The first one is the style I would want to play a game with. Best would be the second with the first one's eyes only not so big on the face.
Works in Progress: Twin Crowns | Weather Wizard

Cinnamoon
Regular

#4 Post by Cinnamoon »

Michiyo6918 wrote:Good luck on your VN by the way!
Thank you ! (^___^)/
Sharm wrote:I would like the second one best, but that eye style creeps me out. The first one is the style I would want to play a game with. Best would be the second with the first one's eyes only not so big on the face.
Does it creeps you out because I left it blank ? Or the eye itself ?
Here is the second one with flat colors :

...I guess it looks kinda creepy too.

Sharm
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Twin Crowns, Weather Wizard

#5 Post by Sharm »

I've seen it in professional anime and manga, so it's obviously a valid look. Just not one I go for. You're obviously a talented artist though, so it's going to be great!
Works in Progress: Twin Crowns | Weather Wizard

borisoda
Regular

#6 Post by borisoda »

i felt that the eyes were too close together
so i messed around a bit
Attachments
1154010215.jpg

Nuxill
Veteran
Projects: No Friend
Tumblr: nuxill
itch: nuxill

#7 Post by Nuxill »

Im more partial to the first style but that might be because the proportions of the face are a little better on that one. The second picture's nose is a little too long (remember that the bottom of the nose hits the bottom of the ear) and as someone else has said the eyes are a little too close.

I also like the first one because the character is a little less pretty-boy in it, which isn't necessarily a bad thing unless every character turns out to be a long lashed pouty lipped pretty boy. Of course whatever style you want to work with is up to your tastes in the end. :P

Cinnamoon
Regular

#8 Post by Cinnamoon »

Thank you all~
Sharm wrote:I've seen it in professional anime and manga, so it's obviously a valid look. Just not one I go for. You're obviously a talented artist though, so it's going to be great!
Thank you, it makes me really happy (*_*)/
roundmetal wrote:i felt that the eyes were too close together
so i messed around a bit
I think the eye on the left is the one that must be changed. I'll try this ! :) Thank you
Nuxill wrote:Im more partial to the first style but that might be because the proportions of the face are a little better on that one. The second picture's nose is a little too long (remember that the bottom of the nose hits the bottom of the ear) and as someone else has said the eyes are a little too close.

I also like the first one because the character is a little less pretty-boy in it, which isn't necessarily a bad thing unless every character turns out to be a long lashed pouty lipped pretty boy. Of course whatever style you want to work with is up to your tastes in the end. :P
I was wondering about the style because the story takes place in college, and I thought maybe the character on the first one looked too young :/ What do you think ?
I guess the second one is kinda cliché (^.^)

Sapphi
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Boku no Taisetsu na Yumeko
Projects: Twelve, PAW ★ PRINTS
Organization: Kitsch-soft

#9 Post by Sapphi »

Cinnamoon wrote: I was wondering about the style because the story takes place in college, and I thought maybe the character on the first one looked too young :/ What do you think ?
The first character, to me, looks way too young for college. His design says "Shounen Protagonist" to me. It's also a very generic and "safe" anime design.

The second one... I like it, because it reminds me of the pretty style used in The Rose of Versailles. It has some weird proportion issues but overall I very much like the pretty hair, eyes, and elongated face. He also, weirdly enough, seems more manly to me than the first guy. I think it's because he has a thicker neck and more muscled body.

I know a lot of people dislike character design where all the men are pretty, but based on art alone, I would honestly choose a dating game with the second style over a game with the first style.
"It is [the writer's] privilege to help man endure by lifting his heart,
by reminding him of the courage and honor and hope and pride
and compassion and pity and sacrifice which have been the glory of his past."
— William Faulkner
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬..+X+..▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

Zylinder
Veteran

#10 Post by Zylinder »

I personally prefer the second one. It looks more unique than the first one, and reminds me of tsundere characters from old mangas. All in all, the first is a little too generic for me. Though there's the fact that anime looks are popular, and also likely the 'safe choice'.

Nuxill
Veteran
Projects: No Friend
Tumblr: nuxill
itch: nuxill

#11 Post by Nuxill »

Cinnamoon wrote:
Nuxill wrote:Im more partial to the first style but that might be because the proportions of the face are a little better on that one. The second picture's nose is a little too long (remember that the bottom of the nose hits the bottom of the ear) and as someone else has said the eyes are a little too close.

I was wondering about the style because the story takes place in college, and I thought maybe the character on the first one looked too young :/ What do you think ?
Ahh, well if it takes place in college, then yeah the first design does make him look like a kid.
And it's didn't mean to say that the second design is a cliché; it's just a style in which this male character (and I'm assuming other male characters) have feminine qualities. It's a common style but it still has your own twists to it.

Cinnamoon
Regular

#12 Post by Cinnamoon »

Thank you all~
I think I'll go with the second one. The first one definitely looks like a kid. Next step is drawing aaaall the sprites !
Thank you again ^^

kerwin

#13 Post by kerwin »

I like the first one, cuz it looks so cute and fresh, make me feel very comfortable.
That's my view, also may you success!

dracothrope
Regular

#14 Post by dracothrope »

What sort of tone is your game supposed to be? If it's more light-hearted, I'd go for the first one. If you want the game to be more serious, the second might be more appropriate. It's difficult to say without seeing a range of emotions on 'em, of course! Keep us updated with the sprites, they should be cool either way. :D

Flying Cat

#15 Post by Flying Cat »

Even if the game takes place in a college setting, dracothrope is right--it really just depends on the overall tone of the game! The first one does look a bit young, but from my experience most characters done in a manga style tend to look a bit on the young side. The second one would be great for a more mature-toned game, but I do agree with roundmetal; his eyes are a bit too close together.

Still, the design is very nice overall, regardless of style!