Where do you buy tablets anyway?!

Questions, skill improvement, and respectful critique involving art assets.
Ionait
Regular
Organization: Chu! Bam! Pow!

Where do you buy tablets anyway?!

#1 Post by Ionait »

I searched around and couldn't find a thread about this, though I am sure there have been discussions over this. I am in need of a new tablet. Mine is older than my children and, I think, finally died today. Sad day. It started a while ago when it decided it hated Windows 7 and no longer wanted to do that whole pressure sensitive bit anymore. Again, sad day.

So I am looking for tablets. I do not need recommendations, thank you, but I am wondering how do you buy these in real life?! All I can ever find are online retailers. Does anyone know of a brick and mortar store that sells tablets? I happen to be in the US but any others are fine if anyone else needs the knowledge.

I always would rather see what I am buying in person (even if I will end up at Amazon.com for the final purchase) and as tablets are somewhat expensive, I am taking this purchase seriously. Why do PC stores not carry these?! Bestbuy and Walmart carry just the pens for some reason?? @_@ So weird.

Destiny
Veteran
Projects: Cards of Destiny, Sky Eye

Re: Where do you buy tablets anyway?!

#2 Post by Destiny »

Nope, most stores don't have some.

Maybe some manga shops or shops for designers, but they are barely sold so also barely stored.
I once drove to half germany to find one. I did find one but it was broken because it was a extremly "well used" exhibit model.
I finally gave up and went to a online store (wacom in my case).

Designers need those though, maybe you have ashop there for designers?
But I promise you, that will get expensive...

EDIT:
Oh yeah, reasons.
I guess, because they get scratches fast and scratches make the price fall.
Mine isn't even see through anymore after around three years of use. But a exhibition model will also be soon worn out. And most people will not even buy it but just test it because it is fun (like with those pen testers or perfume testers). So they throw away a lot of money for exhibition models just to sell around 2.
Seriously, would you consider this as a shop?
I mean, I have a blue netbook. No shop in 300 km around my hometome sold those in a shop, because almost no one would buy one in blue but rather in red, black or silver.
They think economic, as painful as that is for the few costumers that would die for a tablet or blue netbook or whatever.
Last edited by Destiny on Wed Jun 20, 2012 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cards of Destiny (WIP) / Sky Eye (WIP)

Nuxill
Veteran
Projects: No Friend
Tumblr: nuxill
itch: nuxill

#3 Post by Nuxill »

The only place I've seen them for sale is Staples, but they only sell the different types of Bamboo tablets. :/

Kingv
Veteran
Projects: Pet Tails, Transformation Sequence, Cheer On!
Tumblr: EphemeralBalance
Deviantart: kingv

#4 Post by Kingv »

All in all it really depends on where you live. I'm in the US as well and live in a pretty big city so more stores tend to carry them. But the prices are better online.The BestBuy near my house always has a few tablets for sale, usually Wacom ones. I suppose you could also try going to Frys' http://www.frys.com if there's one near you. They have a pretty good selection of tablets. I haven't really looked for any at BrandsMart http://www.brandsmartusa.com/ but I suppose it wouldn't hurt to check them out as well.

Sapphi
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Boku no Taisetsu na Yumeko
Projects: Twelve, PAW ★ PRINTS
Organization: Kitsch-soft

#5 Post by Sapphi »

Ionait wrote: I always would rather see what I am buying in person (even if I will end up at Amazon.com for the final purchase) and as tablets are somewhat expensive, I am taking this purchase seriously. Why do PC stores not carry these?! Bestbuy and Walmart carry just the pens for some reason?? @_@ So weird.
That's weird... the Best Buy near me has a few Wacoms...
"It is [the writer's] privilege to help man endure by lifting his heart,
by reminding him of the courage and honor and hope and pride
and compassion and pity and sacrifice which have been the glory of his past."
— William Faulkner
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬..+X+..▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

Sharm
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Twin Crowns, Weather Wizard

#6 Post by Sharm »

So does mine. They're over by the camera stuff.
Works in Progress: Twin Crowns | Weather Wizard

Roiya
Regular
Projects: unnamed project

#7 Post by Roiya »

i bought my bamboo on amazon
My DEVIANTART=) contact me there for commisions or recruitment if you likey my art
looking for a project to join
http://roiyachan.deviantart.com/
projects i am helping:
Scattered Starlight (GxB, GxG),
feel free to contact me though if you have an interesting one^^

LVUER
King of Lolies
Completed: R.S.P

#8 Post by LVUER »

I bought mine at the official distributor store. Not the official Wacom store, they're different. At where I bought it, it's cheaper than the official Wacom one and even cheaper compared to any random store that sold Wacom. It also gives more bonus, more warranty, and more smile than official Wacom store... so I can say I'm lucky I (accidentally) found such store (when randomly browsing forums).

The store is at different city, but they cover all the shipping fee too.
"Double the princesses, quadruple the fun!" - Haken Browning (SRW-OG Endless Frontier)

DeviantArt Account
MoeToMecha Blog (under construction)
Lolicondria Blog (under construction) <- NSFW

Yakkety
Regular
Projects: Undead Chronicles

#9 Post by Yakkety »

I bought my Wacom Bamboo tablet at the Mediamarkt...

Owait, you guys don't have that in America :P

Yeah but in all srsnss, you can't buy them at the computer stores in America? That's interesting, here in Holland (and probably also the rest of Europe) you cn buy tablets in any electronics store...

Destiny
Veteran

#10 Post by Destiny »

Yakkety wrote:Yeah but in all srsnss, you can't buy them at the computer stores in America? That's interesting, here in Holland (and probably also the rest of Europe) you cn buy tablets in any electronics store...
Mediamarkt? A random computer store?
Jeez, I should have asked my dad to get me a tablet from Belgium since he lives there (or at least stop by in the netherlands). Because Germany is definitly a country in europe where most people don't even know what a graphic tablet is and where you can only get one online at manga utensil stores or tablet stores ôo

Tetiel
Regular
Projects: Anton's Vacation EP 1 and 2 + Rising Angels (CGs/Character Selection), Katajion Kinetic Monthly (character sprites)

#11 Post by Tetiel »

Best Buy does have them in both the States and Canada. In the US you can even find them in Walmart! The problem is, they're actually pretty difficult to find in stores because of the strange sections. You'll need to ask an employee most times. They should be around the section that they keep mice, but I've often found them near monitors. Oh, and you probably won't find the high end tablets since nobody really buys often enough to keep them in stock.

Ionait
Regular

#12 Post by Ionait »

I love my BestBuy but they do not carry them. I mean, they carry "tablets" but not the ones for drawing. I will double check some of my local stores and give it another shot, asking for some assistance next time I visit. Maybe I missed them? Our Walmart is really disorganized so that's possible.

We used to have a lot of stores where I live (Colorado btw) but they close down a lot. No more Fry's, or Circuit City, or even a Staples that I have seen. Might have a Staples somewhere, but nowhere nearby.

I never thought to ask around in manga/comic book stores but that might be worthwhile to look around for.

Thank you for all of the replies! I will definitely double check BestBuy and see if I am just blind.

Destiny
Veteran

#13 Post by Destiny »

Ionait wrote:I never thought to ask around in manga/comic book stores but that might be worthwhile to look around for.
They have them sometimes.
But when, then they are in a package together with an art program (like DELETER CG illust or Corel or or or).
So I would still consider the price, even though they are damn cheap for a tablet AND a program. But I guess, you just want the tablet.So better look at walmart, BestBuy and whatever

(Geez, I'm so jealous that those stuff seems to be for sale in every second store world wide except for my country of course...)

Ionait
Regular

#14 Post by Ionait »

I am a dork. My two local BestBuy stores DO have tablets, and the ones I want. The prices actually aren't that bad. I'm considering not ordering from Amazon for once. *shock* Oh, found this out by checking the website and checking store availability. Once I actually get to the store, I will find out where they HIDE THEM.

Tetiel
Regular
Projects: Anton's Vacation EP 1 and 2 + Rising Angels (CGs/Character Selection), Katajion Kinetic Monthly (character sprites)

#15 Post by Tetiel »

LOL good to know I'm not the only one that has difficulty! I swear it's like they don't ever want you to buy them so they put them in an obscure corner of the store.