Character Designs~roughdrafts/narrowed down.Vote for faves?

Questions, skill improvement, and respectful critique involving art assets.
Wootmuffin
Regular

Re: Character Designs~roughdrafts/narrowed down.Vote for fav

#46 Post by Wootmuffin »

FatUnicornGames wrote:I'm not against the 1st Prince Type either. In fact I would be fine with either of them. :D
So far the people I've talked to, not just on this site, have come to the "I can't decide/I like both" consensus on the Prince's styles. I might have to flip a coin! :lol:

FatUnicornGames
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Club Shuffle

#47 Post by FatUnicornGames »

Wootmuffin wrote:
FatUnicornGames wrote:I'm not against the 1st Prince Type either. In fact I would be fine with either of them. :D
So far the people I've talked to, not just on this site, have come to the "I can't decide/I like both" consensus on the Prince's styles. I might have to flip a coin! :lol:
Just pick the one YOU like better. ;D It will make it more fun to draw.
Developer Blog for Club Shuffle - Follow and Share?
-Also! You can call me Crystal if you want.-

Wootmuffin
Regular

#48 Post by Wootmuffin »

FatUnicornGames wrote:
Wootmuffin wrote:
Just pick the one YOU like better. ;D It will make it more fun to draw.
I'm torn myself. I think the long hair is more versatile, and I'll get to draw some really fun windy CG scenes. I love drawing windswept hair. But the short curly style immediately makes me think of "fairytale prince" so I like that too, and curls are also fun to draw... I'm really shaking my head at myself right now!

I thought "oh, maybe a mix of the two" but LONG CULRY hair would make him look like the cowardly lion! :lol:

Sharm
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Twin Crowns, Weather Wizard

#49 Post by Sharm »

I like all the 2's best, but I wouldn't mind any of them. I think you've figured out how to distill what you're trying to portray, so you'll be fine whatever you end up with.
Works in Progress: Twin Crowns | Weather Wizard

Wootmuffin
Regular

#50 Post by Wootmuffin »

Sharm wrote:I like all the 2's best, but I wouldn't mind any of them. I think you've figured out how to distill what you're trying to portray, so you'll be fine whatever you end up with.
Thank you! :)
I'm glad you think I managed to get my point across, that means a lot since it's something I stressed over.

9:19
Veteran
Projects: Green Eyed Monster [complete]

#51 Post by 9:19 »

I got it! The long hair is just a wig to hide his baby curls! XD The windy scene practically comes with the package.

For me it's 1 1 2.

The wavy hair makes him memorable to me. I mean, when it comes to blond princes/prince-like characters with straight hair, you gotta admit there are a lot of them around (Be My Princess for GREE, Beastmaster and Prince, Shall We Date?: My Sweet Prince, (P)lanets!, etc.). Too much of a good thing...y'know.

That, and I also like how the curls give him a "softer" look, but still manages to hint at maturity. It's endearing.
Last edited by 9:19 on Sun Jul 29, 2012 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wootmuffin
Regular

#52 Post by Wootmuffin »

9:19 wrote:I got it! The long hair is just a wig to hide his baby curls! XD

For me it's 1 1 2.

The wavy hair makes him memorable to me. I mean, when it comes to blond princes/prince-like characters with straight hair, you gotta admit there are a lot of them around (Be My Princess for GREE, Beastmaster and Prince, Shall We Date?: My Sweet Prince, (P)lanets!, etc.). Too much of a good thing...y'know.

That, and I also like how the curls give him a "softer" look, but still manages to hint at maturity. It's endearing.
Hmm, I haven't played all of those games so I didn't notice. Do they all have "long" straight hair? Long enough to slap into a ponytail, anyway? "Long" in anime seems to be rather subjective since even the short styles tend to look long to me. For the straight style, I did intend on him having his hair in a ponytail half the time.

This is kind of funny, because to me the stereotypical prince is blonde with curls. :P That's ALWAYS what I picture when I think of a prince riding in on a white steed. I definitely want my character to be unique and stand out, so it'd be bad if he looked like "every other prince character ever" even if I did choose 'the usual' coloring- I have my heart set on the blonde hair/blue eyes for whatever reason. I guess I'm just a sucker for it~

9:19
Veteran
Projects: Green Eyed Monster [complete]

#53 Post by 9:19 »

Wootmuffin wrote:Do they all have "long" straight hair? Long enough to slap into a ponytail, anyway?
I think so.
Wootmuffin wrote:I find this kind of funny because to me, the stereotypical prince is blonde with curls. :P That's ALWAYS what I picture when I think of a prince on a white horse. I definitely want my character to be unique and stand out, so it'd be bad if he looked like "every other prince character ever" even if I did choose 'the usual' coloring- I have my heart set on the blonde hair/blue eyes for whatever reason. I guess I'm just a sucker for it~
I've always associated blond curls and bubble butts with cherubs. XD I'm sure you'll be fine whichever way you choose to go because you have your own style, so believe in me who believes in you! /dodges brick

FatUnicornGames
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Club Shuffle

#54 Post by FatUnicornGames »

Yeah, I'm not so sure it is necessary for the nurse character to have such long hair...it would almost be more appropriate for the "bad kid". Also I've never been a fan of ultra long hair in general, so feel free to take that as you want to.
Developer Blog for Club Shuffle - Follow and Share?
-Also! You can call me Crystal if you want.-

Wootmuffin
Regular

#55 Post by Wootmuffin »

FatUnicornGames wrote:Yeah, I'm not so sure it is necessary for the nurse character to have such long hair...it would almost be more appropriate for the "bad kid". Also I've never been a fan of ultra long hair in general, so feel free to take that as you want to.
You're right about that, I don't have to give him long hair but for some reason when I was writing his character the idea that his hair would be long stuck with me. He's supposed to be "bad", more so than the delinquent in several ways. A different kind of "bad", since he's mature. But, I don't really like either of my hair options for his character presently, so who knows what will happen.

Wootmuffin
Regular

#56 Post by Wootmuffin »

9:19 wrote:
Wootmuffin wrote:Do they all have "long" straight hair? Long enough to slap into a ponytail, anyway?
I think so.
Wootmuffin wrote:I find this kind of funny because to me, the stereotypical prince is blonde with curls. :P That's ALWAYS what I picture when I think of a prince on a white horse. I definitely want my character to be unique and stand out, so it'd be bad if he looked like "every other prince character ever" even if I did choose 'the usual' coloring- I have my heart set on the blonde hair/blue eyes for whatever reason. I guess I'm just a sucker for it~
I've always associated blond curls and bubble butts with cherubs. XD I'm sure you'll be fine whichever way you choose to go because you have your own style, so believe in me who believes in you! /dodges brick

I agree with the cherub thing, but laughed when you said "bubble butts"! :lol:
That's probably why it works so well for this character since he's supposed to be a shy/sweet character.

Steamgirl
Veteran
Completed: My Cup of Coffee, Queen at Arms (co-wrote a battle scene)
Projects: Stranded Hearts, Emma: A Lady's Maid
Deviantart: steamgirlgame

#57 Post by Steamgirl »

I'm going to be totally cheeky and confess that I have a very strong preference prince #1. :oops:
Literally, I've really REALLY taken to him.
He's adorable, but still has a hint of masculinity to him... #2, to me, is just not as attractive somehow. :oops:

In terms of "attraction", I think I go like this:
1) Prince 1
2) Artist 2
3) Nurse 1
4) Artist 1
5) Nurse 2
6) Prince 2

I am not at all saying this to convince you of #1, of course! Not at all!
Okay, maybe I am... Can't help it! I think I'm in love! <3

jeje
Regular

#58 Post by jeje »

Wootmuffin wrote:I just realized I didn't draw a single character with short hair. It's either "medium" or "long"! hahaha
Nurse #1 is misleading since you can't see his ponytail, though it is noted in the summary. :P

@Jeje
Well, I can't say that the designs wont change according to my whims in the future anyway. Those hair examples are all quite nice! I really struggle with male hair. Female characters are just so much easier for me!

I had to force myself to narrow it down to these styles since I can't really feel satisfied with anything at this stage, but having a rough idea will enable me to go on to the next step even if in the end they might end up totally different. :lol:
Ahahaha!! Why not try a little bit with short hair + long hair?

You know, if I'm really evil, I'll post all my mind in here and see you confused deciding which one would be good.
But, yeah, I'm the same like you, if not worse... I wanna change the design of my "already" polished sprites... ;^;

Good luck with this!! XD