What's wrong with my pic (was: Something off...)

Questions, skill improvement, and respectful critique involving art assets.
Gumm_p0p

What's wrong with my pic (was: Something off...)

#1 Post by Gumm_p0p »

Okkay...I was drawing this and THOUGHT that the the clothes match perfectly but some of my sisters came in and started saying that it doesn't look right. :shock:

So I wonder if I can get comment from random strangers does she look better with a skirts or as my sisters say "She need a pants, or does she dress like you?" (I dress in most random way.)

I haven't finished the drawing yet especially the legs and arms which I'm saving it for lasts.
Attachments
hjkloi.jpg
Last edited by Taleweaver on Sun Jul 29, 2012 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Ambiguous thread title

jeje
Regular

Re: Something off...

#2 Post by jeje »

I think it's because usually the darker colored clothe will be at the bottom instead of the top? I don't know why though, but someone told me that before. And, a little off topic, her hands are... weird... not relaxed and not... natural?
Sorry if it's no help ^^

MonoPiero
Regular

#3 Post by MonoPiero »

Try re-doing the belt and stripes?(seems abit off lol sorry idk--)
or try making the skin tone brighter? I think it will fit those clothes more that way

Sharm
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Twin Crowns, Weather Wizard

#4 Post by Sharm »

The outfit isn't weird because of color, it's because you've got a shirt striped with color paired with a skirt striped with pattern. It's also a structured casual shirt with a unstructured casual skirt. They're either too alike or not alike enough. A really structured blazer would look good with that, or if you want to keep the stripes, making it a wrap shirt instead might work. Or you could change the skirt to an a-line or give it gussets instead of ruffles. You could also layer some jewelry to break up the lines and give the whole thing some direction beside just horizontal.

Fashion is a really strange thing. I wish I took some time to study it earlier in life.
Last edited by Sharm on Sat Jul 28, 2012 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Works in Progress: Twin Crowns | Weather Wizard

Sapphi
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Boku no Taisetsu na Yumeko
Projects: Twelve, PAW ★ PRINTS
Organization: Kitsch-soft

#5 Post by Sapphi »

The colors of the shirt/skirt/belt together are not so bad. (Although I remember people say not to mix brown and black...)
But then you add the color of her hair, the color of her eyes, and that hair clip and it's like a cacophony of colors. The stripes don't help, but I really think that the colors are the problem. There are too many of them and they compete with each other.
"It is [the writer's] privilege to help man endure by lifting his heart,
by reminding him of the courage and honor and hope and pride
and compassion and pity and sacrifice which have been the glory of his past."
— William Faulkner
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬..+X+..▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

MaiMai
Yandere
Completed: [Phase Shift]
Projects: [ None ]
Organization: Paper Stars
Tumblr: maiscribbles
Deviantart: maiscribble

#6 Post by MaiMai »

Your lineart isn't very tight which makes the coloring of the stripes of the top particularly messy. And Sharm is right about how the skirt and top don't go together due to the stripes.

I actually love looking at fashion since it's an art in itself and it's fun to see which trends and fads come and go (who here remembers ponchos haha). Gumm-p0p I think you would benefit greatly from looking up clothes references from websites so you have a better idea of what looks good or not. I have a whole folder of fashion references in my bookmarks so I'll share some links.

* http://www.modcloth.com/shop/dresses --> Modcloth is a wonderful website where it has chic dresses and the selection isn't always the same. This is good for teenage to adult woman fashion since the dresses have great variation. There is other stuff besides dresses though!

* http://www.roxy.com/family/index.jsp?categoryId=2818165 --> Roxy is an American brand of clothing for teenage girls; you can look up Quicksilver which is geared for teen guys.

* http://fashionblast.com/ --> Personal favorite site of mine; more fashion geared towards Asian people, but it's wonderfully cute

* http://www.forever21.com/Product/Catego ... m_whatsnew --> Forever21 stuff for men even though they also mostly cater towards women.

There's a ton of clothing sites out there so I really encourage you to look up more stuff so you can get a better idea of how fashion/clothing works :) Hell, pick up a few magazines like Teen Vogue for instance.
Image COMMISSIONS AVAILABLE (check Tumblr sidebar)

9:19
Veteran
Projects: Green Eyed Monster [complete]

#7 Post by 9:19 »

I also think the colours are mismatched. Try Color Scheme Designer-it generates palettes for you. You can play around and decide for yourself which colours work well together and which ones don't.

Gumm_p0p

#8 Post by Gumm_p0p »

Thank you sooo much for your suggestion kind sir, lady or alien, I will take everyone in consideration as I'll post the new one later in time
so to ask if it better than this one.
jeje wrote:her hands are... weird... not relaxed and not... natural?
I was just sketching to see what position her arm was going to be at since I'm not good at that just yet.
jeje wrote: darker colored clothe will be at the bottom instead of the top
Sharm wrote:The outfit isn't weird because of color, it's because you've got a shirt striped with color paired with a skirt striped with pattern. It's also a structured casual shirt with a unstructured casual skirt. They're either too alike or not alike enough. A really structured blazer would look good with that, or if you want to keep the stripes, making it a wrap shirt instead might work. Or you could change the skirt to an a-line or give it gussets instead of ruffles. You could also layer some jewelry to break up the lines and give the whole thing some direction beside just horizontal.
MonoPiero wrote:Try re-doing the belt and stripes?(seems abit off lol sorry idk--)
or try making the skin tone brighter?
Sapphi wrote:I really think that the colors are the problem. There are too many of them and they compete with each other.
MaiMai wrote: Your lineart isn't very tight which makes the coloring of the stripes of the top particularly messy. And Sharm is right about how the skirt and top don't go together due to the stripes.

I actually love looking at fashion since it's an art in itself and it's fun to see which trends and fads come and go (who here remembers ponchos haha)
9:19 wrote:I also think the colours are mismatched.
I'll keep ALL of this in minds.

@ MaiMai and 9:19
thank you for the links.

Most of the people say that it the color so maybe I'll try to do something with the colors.

*Pump* Time to make some changes :idea:

dhussey111
Regular

Re: What's wrong with my pic (was: Something off...)

#9 Post by dhussey111 »

i think you should change the belt and everything will be okay..

Deji
Cheer Idol; Not Great at Secret Identities
Projects: http://bit.ly/2lieZsA
Organization: Sakevisual, Apple Cider, Mystery Parfait
Tumblr: DejiNyucu
Deviantart: DejiNyucu

Re: What's wrong with my pic (was: Something off...)

#10 Post by Deji »

In addition to the linear not being very tight, I do agree with others that the colors are a problem.

I'd suggest using less saturated colors on the hair tie, tone down the bright yellow of the eyes a bit, darkening the skirt and making the black stripes dark gray instead of black.

The colors you're using for shading seems to be rather monotone (the original color + black), which in my opinion is not a good way to pick shading colors!

Some links that may be useful to you:

http://www.artinstructionblog.com/how-t ... ara-mattia
http://www.copicmarker.com/color-in-light-and-shadow
http://photoshoptutorials.ws/photoshop- ... otoshop/2/

I think the best way to learn how to pick shading colors is to grab some images of art you like and use the eyedropper tool to see what colors they use.

Good luck! (:
Tumblr | Twitter
Forever busy :')
When drawing something, anything, USE REFERENCES!! Use your Google-fu!
Don't trust your memory, and don't blindly trust what others teach you either.
Research, observation, analysis, experimentation and practice are the key! (: