Sprites: poses vs outfits.

Questions, skill improvement, and respectful critique involving art assets.
Deji
Cheer Idol; Not Great at Secret Identities
Projects: http://bit.ly/2lieZsA
Organization: Sakevisual, Apple Cider, Mystery Parfait
Tumblr: DejiNyucu
Deviantart: DejiNyucu

Sprites: poses vs outfits.

#1 Post by Deji »

It's relatively "fast" (and fun!) for me to draw extra outfits on a character, and I also think it's more "believable" for a character to have many different outfits for, you know, different days and all. xD (most people I know change outfits every day, so why my characters shouldn't if I can draw them?)

Now, having different poses shows dynamism beyond simple facial expression change. However, having many poses with many outfits starts being a pain, drawing the same thing over and one read trying to keep the consistency...

Considering making many outfits AND many poses at the same time is not an option... What do you prefer?

Many poses with only one outfit?
One pose with many outfits?
Alternatively: One pose with some small variation (like arm position) and many outfits?
A couple of poses with a couple of outfits?

(I saw once a character that had 4-5 outfits and had a different pose for each outfit with arm variations. That didn't allow to change the pose like you change facial expressions, but allowed some dynamism, imo. What do you think about that approach?)
Tumblr | Twitter
Forever busy :')
When drawing something, anything, USE REFERENCES!! Use your Google-fu!
Don't trust your memory, and don't blindly trust what others teach you either.
Research, observation, analysis, experimentation and practice are the key! (:

Samu-kun
King of Moé
Organization: Love in Space Inc

Re: Sprites: poses vs outfits.

#2 Post by Samu-kun »

In general, I think outfits should be prioritized over poses.

It's subpar for all the characters to be stuck in one pose for all expressions, but it's outright unacceptable for a character to be in winter clothes at a sunny beach, go to sleep in a suit, and show up for a wedding in a t-shirt. Poses are generally alright to skimp on, but you just can't get away with skimping on costumes.

Sharm
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Twin Crowns, Weather Wizard

#3 Post by Sharm »

I'm going with the "many outfits, one pose, different arm positions" route with my VN. I really like clothes and having different outfits can set the person in the scene more firmly for me. It constantly bothers me that characters in JRPGs or other similar games wear the same clothing to go spelunking in a caldera infested cave, climbing an ice mountain and saying hi to the local royalty. As for arm positions, it amazes me how just a small pose change can make a big difference in how expressive a sprite can look. I suppose this could be amplified if the whole pose changed, but I personally don't like drawing poses that much.

It is a question of what your story is though. If you have a story that takes place over a short period of time or in a limited situation like a private school or work, changing clothes is going to have much less of an impact. I'd do more poses for a story like that.
Works in Progress: Twin Crowns | Weather Wizard

nyaatrap
Crawling Chaos

#4 Post by nyaatrap »

The main outfit (usually school uniforms, you know) can have several poses, while most other outfits have one pose.

dramspringfeald
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: The Echo, CBlue, Safety_Dance

#5 Post by dramspringfeald »

a healthy mix of the 2 I say. make plenty of Poses (15 to 30) then make skins and outfits for them. the girl posing in a bikini can use the same pose for snowboarding and the like. We like Variety and that's the way to go.
Don't be a Poser! Learn to Draw
Learn to Draw with Stan Lee
Learn to Draw with Mark Crilley
If you want you can brows my art. My art can be found at...FA // IB // DA Neglected for a few years so I'm just now updating it

Learn to break a bone to break a bone,
Learn to build a house to build a house,
Learn to make a Game to make a Game.

MusicaFate
Regular
Organization: Hime*Ko Productions

#6 Post by MusicaFate »

I'd actually think about when I will use these outfits in the game itself. I mean it's nice to have outfits, but if you aren't going to use them :< then its a waste. Then, if I feel there is a need to have a change in pose, then I will draw a pose for that specific sprite I guess.(Well of course I'd save the pose base for a different outfit...but I'd just redraw the outfits I want to use instead of drawing it for all of them ;A; ...)
I say, it just depends on how long the VN is and where it takes place. O: ~
Free Artist. :) PM ME ?~

Applegate
Miko-Class Veteran

#7 Post by Applegate »

It depends on the story; for some stories, it doesn't make much sense to have multiple outfits, or you don't need them. (If it is one day, for example, or characters are expected to be in uniform)

For other stories, yes, I'd probably find outfits rather important... but poses, too.

In the end, I write according to what I can afford: If I cannot afford an artist, then when I look for one I'll try not to make it a daunting task of eighteen characters with five poses and eight outfits each!

chocojax
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Umbra, Familiarity, Maleficent Justice
Tumblr: chocojax

#8 Post by chocojax »

Imo, I prefer having many poses with one outfit over many outfits with one pose. When I read VNs, ofc it's more believable when the characters change their clothes everyday in a normal environment, but I don't pay attention to clothes as much as I do to the poses. Having them stand still the entire VN with different outfits just reminds me of a dollmaker thing. x:
(Though I agree with samu-kun, if the VN goes throughout very distinct seasons, it should be clothes>poses. I really do not want to see someone dressed up for winter at a hot beach, since I'd pay attention then. lol)

One pose with a small variation and many outfits would be good too. c: Saves time and still has some variation with both.

I prefer a couple of poses with a couple of outfits, cause it shows common sense for what to wear during what kind of weather and what kind of emotion the character's in without their expressions.

tigerkidde
Regular
Projects: Summer Tales of Katt and June

#9 Post by tigerkidde »

I think if the setting takes place in one timeframe or location (Die Hard, prison), then more poses over outfits.

If the content is varied or spaced over weekends where uniforms or armor may be removed, then more outfits over poses.

fleet
Eileen-Class Veteran
Deviantart: fleetp

#10 Post by fleet »

There is a similar topic here at LSF on why VN characters rarely change clothes.
http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... =4&t=11866

Majority of opinions said that it was "too much work" for the artist.
Some of my visual novels are at http://www.the-new-lagoon.com. They are NSFW
Poorly done hand-drawn art is still poorly done art. Be a Poser (or better yet, use DAZ Studio 3D) - dare to be different.

Kuroneko_rg
Veteran
Projects: Dark Pleasures, Kiss of Blood, Midnight Park
Organization: Black Cat Alleyway

#11 Post by Kuroneko_rg »

I'm forward both of them if possible, but if I have to choose one, then I'd say outfits.
The ps2 version of Higusashi had a curious way of handling this, as each outfit had slightly different poses (Different hand/arm positions).

Fungii
Veteran
Completed: Home's Embrace
Projects: Royality TV
Tumblr: fungiidraws
itch: fungii

#12 Post by Fungii »

Haha, I cheat with it drawing wise using layer groups and the like to make it easier.

But, yeah, if appropriate clothings is going to have to be a thing, then clothing thats priority.
Personally, I don't feel arm movement has the same feel as the entire pose shifting, though.

Auro-Cyanide
ssǝʇunoƆ ʇɹ∀
Completed: http://auro-cyanide.tumblr.com/visualnovels
Projects: Athena
Organization: Cyanide Tea
Tumblr: auro-cyanide
Deviantart: Auro-Cyanide

#13 Post by Auro-Cyanide »

I asked a similar question earlier and got mixed answers http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... es#p191466

The thing is that there HAS to be a compromise. It's simply too much work to do both. I'm doing arm variations and a simple variation of clothes as my main priority. If I have time I may add more. So that's basically going to be underwear, sleepwear, unifrom and casual, with a couple characters having a specific outfit. I prefer doing clothes over poses because it means less redrawing of things you have already drawn and therefore more fun, but the arm variations will at least give some movement to the sprites, so I totally understand where you are coming from.

Deji
Cheer Idol; Not Great at Secret Identities
Projects: http://bit.ly/2lieZsA
Organization: Sakevisual, Apple Cider, Mystery Parfait
Tumblr: DejiNyucu
Deviantart: DejiNyucu

#14 Post by Deji »

Auro-Cyanide wrote:I asked a similar question earlier and got mixed answers http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... es#p191466
I just looked at it and it gave me some good feedback besides what has been said in this topic, thank you! (:

I probably should cut back the outfits and, when looking at the script, figure the body language of the characters that may need extra poses.
It shouldn't be *that* hard (as I'm the one making my own art) and it'll be a challenge for sure (:
Tumblr | Twitter
Forever busy :')
When drawing something, anything, USE REFERENCES!! Use your Google-fu!
Don't trust your memory, and don't blindly trust what others teach you either.
Research, observation, analysis, experimentation and practice are the key! (:

Auro-Cyanide
ssǝʇunoƆ ʇɹ∀
Completed: http://auro-cyanide.tumblr.com/visualnovels
Projects: Athena
Organization: Cyanide Tea
Tumblr: auro-cyanide
Deviantart: Auro-Cyanide

#15 Post by Auro-Cyanide »

Deji wrote:
Auro-Cyanide wrote:I asked a similar question earlier and got mixed answers http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... es#p191466
I just looked at it and it gave me some good feedback besides what has been said in this topic, thank you! (:

I probably should cut back the outfits and, when looking at the script, figure the body language of the characters that may need extra poses.
It shouldn't be *that* hard (as I'm the one making my own art) and it'll be a challenge for sure (:
It's always going to be hard to decide what to give up (especially since there will always be someone who will point out what you didn't do) and compromising can feel like you are letting something down. It's a bit torturous for me not to draw exactly what I imagine when I read a scene, but then it would be a comic and not a VN XD Not to mention that time will always be a limit on you. I would probably either go for arm variations or 2-3 poses if you are feeling adventurous and a selection of outfits focusing on the most obvious ones first. So for CM stuff like casual, uniform, sleepwear, maybe something dressy? And then you can always go back and add in extra ones you want if you find you have a bit of extra time up your sleeve :)