Critique about prototype mecha sketches

Questions, skill improvement, and respectful critique involving art assets.
uselessp
Regular
Completed: The way I live
Projects: Requiem of time, change and chase

Critique about prototype mecha sketches

#1 Post by uselessp »

Hm. . . I guess I have to take this seriously. I guess I'm talented in creating robot, so I made one.
Well, this is just a tryout, so I'm sorry if this is not good. Here is the image.
Mecha01.jpg
I just created this five minutes ago. Thankfully I have a scanner in my room, so I uploaded this right away. You can mess this image up, as long as you don't change the lineart pose. What do you think? Can you tell me your honest opinion about this? Also, It doesn't have name yet. Feel free to give my son a name, I will be very happy if you did. :)

BTW, I wanted to use this topic to view my other creations in mecha. Maybe, just maybe. If I have lots of free time, I will gladly accept any original request regarding robots. PM me the references, model, and pose you want me to create. Though I still unable to create any cg-esque colorizing, I can at least handle simple colorings.

As always, P.S: I apologize for my bad English.
Last edited by uselessp on Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reality is the limits dream can reach

chocojax
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Umbra, Familiarity, Maleficent Justice
Tumblr: chocojax

Re: Critique about prototype mecha sketches

#2 Post by chocojax »

Two nit-picky things:
- Lines are similar in weight and value, so it's kinda hard to tell what's in the front, what's in the middle, what's in the back, etc.
- No shading so adds to difficulty in telling certain parts apart.

I can't really draw robots or mecha like things, so I really find these sorts of subjects interesting to look at. Yours looks more of a mix of a monster/alien and a robot, but mainly because of how the head looks organic. If it were a lot sharper/showed clear planes, it would look more like a machine than alien.
I really like the looking-above view, it creates a good sense of how large this robot really is, lol. I kinda hope that you go more into this. c:
And, kinda wondering what the two objects at the bottom right are. x:

uselessp
Regular

#3 Post by uselessp »

Okay, I'll try. Here is the revision.
Mecha01 RE.jpg
But still. . . I guess I still not able to use shading and pressuring lines well.

Thanks Chocojax!! Now I can improve my skills!

chocojax
Miko-Class Veteran

#4 Post by chocojax »

You're welcome! c:
It's okay, when you keep practicing with pens, you'll eventually get the hang of them. :v!

Also, I really wanted to color it, so here you go, lool. This was the kinda feeling I had when I looked at it last night. Sorry for the terrible shading though, I'm using a laptop pad.
Attachments
mrmecha.png

uselessp
Regular

#5 Post by uselessp »

chocojax wrote:Also, I really wanted to color it, so here you go, lool. This was the kinda feeling I had when I looked at it last night. Sorry for the terrible shading though, I'm using a laptop pad.
Sorry for the delayed comment. But here it is.

It's good, indeed! I never thought that someone would pay attention to my arts. (THNX so much!!)
The shading is great too. But. . . I guess I forgot to mention something.

You can outline the lineart. (Sorry for not being able to tell. I'm lucky to have time to write this reply cause I'm in quick break before resuming the all-nighter 24/7 works.)

At any rate, thank you for giving me references for my works. As thanks. . .
Attachments
Sorry, but since I'll try to use this for the upcoming project, I need some opinions. Regardless, this thing will only be a grunt.
Sorry, but since I'll try to use this for the upcoming project, I need some opinions. Regardless, this thing will only be a grunt.

chocojax
Miko-Class Veteran

#6 Post by chocojax »

uselessp wrote:Sorry for the delayed comment. But here it is.

It's good, indeed! I never thought that someone would pay attention to my arts. (THNX so much!!)
The shading is great too. But. . . I guess I forgot to mention something.

You can outline the lineart. (Sorry for not being able to tell. I'm lucky to have time to write this reply cause I'm in quick break before resuming the all-nighter 24/7 works.)

At any rate, thank you for giving me references for my works. As thanks. . .
It's all right. c: And thanks/you're welcome, loool.
Well, I just wanted to show you a nice way to color it, so. :v

(Good luck with your work and whatnot!)

Ummm, gonna give you a quick redline.
In my opinion, the best mechas are the ones where every piece has a function. Like, there's a reason for them being there.
Even though this is a sketch, you may want to try to do quick, straight lines to help define things better/make it look more like a machine. :v Only use rounded lines when it counts, or something! And add in some more shading too. x:
(This is just from those mecha shows, if you want them to look super futuristic, make them look rounded out and sleek. But seeing that he's a grunt, might be best to make him look dirty/not cool/basic, loool.)
1. Why is this here/what's the point of this?
2. I'm assuming this is a shoulder pad of sorts to protect the rotating gears? You might want it to be more in the same perspective as the rest/overlay soemthing.
3. What's the point of this/what's its function?
4. I have no idea how guns/missles/etc work, so I won't touch on this. You may want to have the "hinge" for its elbows the same as the left hand.
5. My redline is pretty bad, but again, this is just my own tastes/views. Mechas tend to be blocky/not as round. :v
Take what you think is helpful etc. ovo
Attachments
robos.png

uselessp
Regular

#7 Post by uselessp »

chocojax wrote: In my opinion, the best mechas are the ones where every piece has a function. Like, there's a reason for them being there.
Even though this is a sketch, you may want to try to do quick, straight lines to help define things better/make it look more like a machine. :v Only use rounded lines when it counts, or something! And add in some more shading too. x:
Okay, I might be not cut out of explaining. So I'll write full answers for you.
Answer:

First of all, this grunt is an old model where it is common to encounter. Since it was used in a war, so of course the design is already ragged. (Do these count as spoiler? Nah, this just an extra)

Second, I drew rounded parts for it is because I want to. And. . . IF the robot is way too blocky, it gives off the. . .
Not flexible impression(?). This one is usual to be found in the slums, and isolated facilities. Furthermore, the size is only 6 meters tall with the width of two adults. So yeah, it can enter a small gangs, intruding into building, and flying above rooftop.

Third,
But still. . . I guess I still not able to use shading and pressuring lines well.
Sorry, I'm such a slowpoke even in life. *DEEP SIGH*
It's okay. Even if I'm a slow-learner, I'll keep on living with these immature abilities of mine.

Now for the series of answers:

1. Cooling Parts. Typical old machines. The cooling system must be big to not overheating the robot.
2. That's my mistake, sorry. The shoulder should have been rotated a little to the front. Not to the back.
3. Self propelled machine guns. Since the robot has an old A.I, it can think a little. (e.g. Target's attack probability, percentages of target's vital signs, simple yet messy ways to repair itself.)
4. Another mistakes of mine. I should have concentrated to the pile bunker. Not adding guns.
5. The answer is above and was just mentioned.

That's it. Sorry for my straight comment that may offend you. At any rate, your opinion is my treasure, so THX a lot!! *DEEP BOW*

chocojax
Miko-Class Veteran

#8 Post by chocojax »

Sorry for getting the wrong picture. x: I tend to read things too fast/forget things.
You're not a slowpoke. I had tons of problems with shading/pressure too. x: There are a lot of tutorials out there that explain how to do it/how to do it well, so.

Umm, if you want, here's some quick tips on how2shade for sketches/how2pressure for sketches:
Shading: Since it's a sketch, you typically want to do it quickly while still retaining the knowledge when you outline/shade/color etc. You can do scribbly lines, or straight lines, etc, but draw them in the direction of the surface.
If you look at his stomach/leg area in this(naked man from the back here), you can see lines that help define the shape. It also helps in creating interesting movement and stuff. Also, the lines on the upper leg are not curving around it, but rather being long "straight"(that are actually curving) lines. Umm, I think the artist did that to define the muscles and to create a sense of movement.
Pressure: Well, what I meant by this was probably outlines/lines, lool. Beginners tend to sketch/draw by only moving their wrist, when they should actually be using their entire arm, usually for longer lines. It'll be kinda difficult at first, but eventually you'll get the hang of it.
Loool, it didn't offend me at all. :v I just hope that I didn't offend you in some way earlier!