Help with SAI anyone?

Questions, skill improvement, and respectful critique involving art assets.
Junker-Kun
Regular
Completed: Manga Club
Organization: Mr's Hedgehogs team

Help with SAI anyone?

#1 Post by Junker-Kun »

Can someone answer these little questions? Because, as someone smart said, "learning SAI is a b**ch".

1) Is there any analogue to gaussian blur? Like in photoshop?
2) Do I really can't invert colors? I mean, it's easier to me to draw sketches with white on black background.
3) Isn't using two programs (SAI and Photoshop) a problem itself? I'd rather do everything in one program.
"Don’t be sad. Even if the world won’t forgive you, I’ll forgive you.
Don’t be sad. Even if you won’t forgive the world, I’ll forgive you.
So please tell me. How do I make you forgive me?"

Frederica Bernkastel

nyaatrap
Crawling Chaos

Re: Help with SAI anyone?

#2 Post by nyaatrap »

Junker-Kun wrote:Can someone answer these little questions? Because, as someone smart said, "learning SAI is a b**ch".

1) Is there any analogue to gaussian blur? Like in photoshop?
2) Do I really can't invert colors? I mean, it's easier to me to draw sketches with white on black background.
3) Isn't using two programs (SAI and Photoshop) a problem itself? I'd rather do everything in one program.
1: No. You can do a similar thing with the blur tool, but both quality and speed is lower.
2: if it's just a line work, put a black layer behind and draw white lines on an above layer, then change it's color later.
3: SAI is designed for a supplement of Photoshop. If you use SAI without Photoshop, it's not a way of the developer's intention. However, it's possible to done anything with it if you spend more time than using 2 tools.

nyaatrap
Crawling Chaos

#3 Post by nyaatrap »

BTW, it's out of the topic but not fully unrelated:
The developer of SAI said he will make the next version of SAI, for 64bit and with new features, several weeks ago. He said he was a slump in recent years but now he recovered.

Junker-Kun
Regular
Completed: Manga Club
Organization: Mr's Hedgehogs team

#4 Post by Junker-Kun »

nyaatrap wrote:BTW, it's out of the topic but not fully unrelated:
The developer of SAI said he will make the next version of SAI, for 64bit and with new features, several weeks ago. He said he was a slump in recent years but now he recovered.
That's cool. I wonder what he will add...
3: SAI is designed for a supplement of Photoshop. If you use SAI without Photoshop, it's not a way of the developer's intention. However, it's possible to done anything with it if you spend more time than using 2 tools.
Mhm... I think I'll stick with quite cheap SAI and free GIMP then =) Don't have much money to spend on latest Photoshop.
"Don’t be sad. Even if the world won’t forgive you, I’ll forgive you.
Don’t be sad. Even if you won’t forgive the world, I’ll forgive you.
So please tell me. How do I make you forgive me?"

Frederica Bernkastel

DeeKay
Veteran

#5 Post by DeeKay »

nyaatrap wrote:BTW, it's out of the topic but not fully unrelated:
Seriously !? Oh ! You've made my day nyaatrap ! :wink:
-- No longer active --
-- English/French Translation topic here
-- Hope~ - Symphony of Tomorrow alpha demo playthrough here (1h35mn long video !)

-- Current avatar by SilverHyena => her DA account

-- Check out this project if you have some time !

Razz
Veteran
Completed: Starlight Vega, Catch Canvas, Love Ribbon, Happy Campers, Wolf Tails
Projects: Two projects
Organization: Razzartvisual

#6 Post by Razz »

Just click the opacity lock and turn your sketch to white, then put the main bg as black.

Naw I have a pretty cheap computer and it's easy to switch between the two. Only problem is saving in between each transfer can take up time, but it's not really noticeable. Oh and save as .psd instead of the .sai filetype.

dramspringfeald
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: The Echo, CBlue, Safety_Dance

#7 Post by dramspringfeald »

3: I tend to use Sai, Gimp, and OC (Open-canvas) when doing my digital art or skins from my models so It doesn't really matter what you use or how many programs just as long as it comes out the way you want it to.
Don't be a Poser! Learn to Draw
Learn to Draw with Stan Lee
Learn to Draw with Mark Crilley
If you want you can brows my art. My art can be found at...FA // IB // DA Neglected for a few years so I'm just now updating it

Learn to break a bone to break a bone,
Learn to build a house to build a house,
Learn to make a Game to make a Game.