Getting rid of Artblock?

Questions, skill improvement, and respectful critique involving art assets.
MioSegami
Regular
Projects: PATUKA PRIVATE PARADISE
Organization: BlueAngelService

Getting rid of Artblock?

#1 Post by MioSegami »

Ugh. Can't stress enough, an artist worst enemy, ARTBLOCK. I hate this and it happens to me frequently, making me lazy to draw my sprites and BGs >.< + CGs
What ever I draw I can't get it right, *sigh* we all artist suffer from these things, so what do you guys to loosen it up and get rid of it? It may give me some help or even oethers :) (Sorry if there is a similar thread/post about this)
_Mio_
CLICK IT------------->viewtopic.php?f=43&t=40639&p=430149#p430149
Projects: PATUKA PRIVATE ISLAND
Story: 15% complete
Script: 0%
Art: 35%
Outline: 15%
Code: 10%

Amorphous
Regular
Completed: Recording the Predestined Time
Tumblr: beastamorphous
Github: dmliao
Soundcloud: a_morphous
itch: amorphous

Re: Getting rid of Artblock?

#2 Post by Amorphous »

I keep around an extra sketchbook mainly for quick doodles and whatnot, and I've found that that helps a lot. Whenever I lose motivation, I just bring that sketchbook with me (usually to school) and start drawing random things that come to mind, no matter if they have anything to do with anything. I think the last few drawings I did were of desk lamps, pencils, and really, really twisted human-like figures that weren't supposed to look like people. The key with that, though, is that the drawings I put in that sketchbook aren't supposed to be final or good in any way...a lot of them do end up looking weird, or malformed, or whatever. I just draw as much as possible, as many weird things as possible, just to get a fresh outlook on things sometimes. And putting furious scribbles down on paper is quite a stress reliever, too.

That, and I'm still in the process of learning how to draw, so those kinds of studies are also useful for practice and for learning. But that's just one method that I use; I'm certain that other people have different ways of dealing with blocks. If I absolutely 100% can't stand drawing at the moment, I'm lucky enough to have so many other things I can retreat to (programming, music composition) to make things before I gain interest in art again.
Confused person. Makes art and music.
Website | Twitter

MioSegami
Regular

#3 Post by MioSegami »

Ah such great tips! Doodling is a good way I doodle a lot, but nowadays I don't....(guilty). I wish I have more sketchbooks to draw in lol, line paper here I go XD It's what i use when I'm desperate :D

nyaatrap
Crawling Chaos

#4 Post by nyaatrap »

Browse new figures http://www.amiami.com/ and sketch them ;D

MioSegami
Regular

#5 Post by MioSegami »

The site is great! :D And lots of cute stuff too!

VanillaPenguin
Projects: Deep End Debt

#6 Post by VanillaPenguin »

What I tend to do if I get an artist's block in the case of procrastination of finishing sprites and what not for a project, I jump onto a different creative train and start writing up ideas for a new story, or pick up an old one that I feel deseves a bit of attention, that ususally gets the creative juices flowing for me.

When I get artist's block it's usually because I've been focused on one topic for too long so it get's a bit boring and there's no inspiration do anything like you said. So I reccomend having another story on the backburner or some sort of small project you can turn to.

Another idea is if you're a gamer is to go back and play/replay through a game you've loved(maybe one that calls from your childhood). Usually, for me anyways I get a sense of completeness and victory and that feeling that I can do anything. With that motivation, it helps me get back on track.

you just have to find that onething that makes you motivated. And remember to take frequent breaks, that sometimes aids in the avoiding of Artist blocks

Voiii

#7 Post by Voiii »

What I use to do was force myself to do study drawings of realism XD
Gives you something to draw, and keeps you from having an excuse XD

But I hate referencing things so I haven't done that in awhile.

Since I don't have anything I have to commit to, I recently underwent a 3 month art break XD
I tend to improve when I don't draw for extended periods of time..or it's just an illusion of my mind XD (Don't think that applies to my coloring ability though hahahah XD)
I guess for me, forcing myself to try during a block just ends up demotivating me.

On another art block (I think I'm on like art block almost 24/7, just the severity of it varies time to time XD)
I started up a manga project. If you're on a writers block, I guess that's unhelpful. (but I was using something I wrote up awhile ago) and it really keeps you working on something if you have a good idea that uses frequent actions.

Zylinder
Veteran

#8 Post by Zylinder »

I used to suffer from a permanent artblock, which resulted in something like 2 art pieces per year. And then one day I realized there's actually nothing I want to draw and there never will be and tada! Not art blocked anymore.

Unnecessary personal anecdote aside...

Here's an excellent list of what you can do.

Personally, I'd suggest trawling through something of interest to you and drawing them. For example, I like naked men. I make it a habit to go to sites with (debatable) artistic nudes and draw them. If you like fashion, get on some fashion blog. If you like anime, get on an anime blog, and so on and so forth. I find tumblr a great source for these things. Alternatively, you can always grab one of those '30 things to draw in 30 days' lists and do them.

If you have an aversion to referencing things, drop that notion like a hot potato. It's the best thing ever for a learning artist.

nyaatrap
Crawling Chaos

#9 Post by nyaatrap »

Actually, I'm not sure what artblock means. Though when output isn't going well, the reason is mainly lack of input. So when I can't draw, I just look many cute characters I love until I got an urge to imitate them by my hands. From my experience, watching and thinking is more important than just drawing.

Deji
Cheer Idol; Not Great at Secret Identities
Projects: http://bit.ly/2lieZsA
Organization: Sakevisual, Apple Cider, Mystery Parfait
Tumblr: DejiNyucu
Deviantart: DejiNyucu

#10 Post by Deji »

The following advice works when you have something specific you have to draw, not when you're like "Oh, I want to draw something, but I don't know what", because in that case you're waiting for inspiration and that could happen any time, really... or not happen at all.

When I'm stuck it's usually because I'm getting frustrated with the subject at hand because it's too complicated and can't get it right, I'm tired of working on the project, because I'm upset about the project or the client I'm drawing the image for or because I'm stressed thinking about this other thing I have to be doing soon and panicking about it.

The best way to get rid of that feeling is JUST SIT DOWN AND DO IT. Don't think about it, or about how you don't like it or about how's not working, just sit down and draw whatever it is you need to draw.
Chances are you'll start getting into it at some point and you'll have fun or you'll at least feel better you got that task off your plate and can move on to the next one.

As for "I need some sort of inspiration to know what do draw!", I think a good idea is to warm up with something that you don't have to think about much, like drawing your fav characters, make some anatomy/painting studies from posemaniacs or photos or whatever or just grab your fav manga and start copying stuff from panels you like. Tis will get you in the mood and you'll probably come up with something cool to draw (: Worst case scenario, you're still practicing and honing your skills with that warmup ^^
Tumblr | Twitter
Forever busy :')
When drawing something, anything, USE REFERENCES!! Use your Google-fu!
Don't trust your memory, and don't blindly trust what others teach you either.
Research, observation, analysis, experimentation and practice are the key! (:

Surufe
Regular
Projects: [secret]
Organization: t-a-s-t-e Inc.

#11 Post by Surufe »

@Deji :
That...that's what I need to do right now. I've been slacking off (a
lot) because of the games had been store in my PC for days. And now I'm
starting to play them again and I was totally forgot what I need to do right now. (Finish a bunch of painting and comission then project(s)'s sprites ...... )
Thanks for your advice Deji.
New Account - Rye
I'm no longer using this account.

dramspringfeald
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: The Echo, CBlue, Safety_Dance

#12 Post by dramspringfeald »

I've found the best way to get out of an art block is Either to just go for a walk witha pen an paper and just DRAW what you see OR go back to basics and just well draw blocks.
Don't be a Poser! Learn to Draw
Learn to Draw with Stan Lee
Learn to Draw with Mark Crilley
If you want you can brows my art. My art can be found at...FA // IB // DA Neglected for a few years so I'm just now updating it

Learn to break a bone to break a bone,
Learn to build a house to build a house,
Learn to make a Game to make a Game.

LateWhiteRabbit
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: The Space Between

#13 Post by LateWhiteRabbit »

Deji wrote: The best way to get rid of that feeling is JUST SIT DOWN AND DO IT. Don't think about it, or about how you don't like it or about how's not working, just sit down and draw whatever it is you need to draw.
We have a winner! Yep - this is the secret. Just force yourself to do it.

Often, people aren't really "art blocked". They are just suffering from an overload of possible options. You are paralyzed by the infinite possibilities of the blank page. The solution is to put anything at all on that blank page - I usually work on anatomy studies to warm up when feeling blocked. They are easy and relatively mindless. I just open up a book by Bridgeman or Loomis and copy some anatomy sketches. Then, on that same page, I'll start the actual sketch for my piece. When I am sufficiently advanced along with it, I'll copy it over to another document and finish it up.

Auro-Cyanide
ssǝʇunoƆ ʇɹ∀
Completed: http://auro-cyanide.tumblr.com/visualnovels
Projects: Athena
Organization: Cyanide Tea
Tumblr: auro-cyanide
Deviantart: Auro-Cyanide

#14 Post by Auro-Cyanide »

I don't get art blocked. If I don't know what to draw, I look for inspiration. If I don't know how to draw it, I look for references. If I'm struggling because I'm tired I go to sleep and try again in the morning.

What I do get is procrastination in which case I really, really need to just do it. Procrastination never gets better. You might tell yourself you just want to rest for a bit, or you just want to have some fun, but you won't feel anymore ready to do it afterwards. So the best thing to do is just sit down and do it. THAT is something I struggle with sometimes.

nyaatrap
Crawling Chaos

#15 Post by nyaatrap »

Haha, I think I found a meaning of artblock after read LateWhiteRabbit and Auro-Cyanide comments. I have a same opinion with them. I don't have artblock either. Do it or not is just all in this meaning.
I thought it was a plateau, which blocks development of art to a new stage. This is only problem for me. Just do what I have is no problem.