Female waist, abdomen help.

Questions, skill improvement, and respectful critique involving art assets.
WolfHunner
Regular
Organization: /wooo/

Female waist, abdomen help.

#1 Post by WolfHunner »

I'm trying my best to make waists of women from skinny to thick varieties. But I don't know much about proportions of the waist/hips and navel. Do you have your own technique to draw them?

dramspringfeald
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: The Echo, CBlue, Safety_Dance

Re: Female waist, abdomen help.

#2 Post by dramspringfeald »

Here try this or This Good Luck
Don't be a Poser! Learn to Draw
Learn to Draw with Stan Lee
Learn to Draw with Mark Crilley
If you want you can brows my art. My art can be found at...FA // IB // DA Neglected for a few years so I'm just now updating it

Learn to break a bone to break a bone,
Learn to build a house to build a house,
Learn to make a Game to make a Game.

WolfHunner
Regular

#3 Post by WolfHunner »

dramspringfeald wrote:Here try this or This Good Luck
I laughed a little when he said drawing the male bodies are harder. Anyway, thank you.

LVUER
King of Lolies
Completed: R.S.P

#4 Post by LVUER »

WolfHunner wrote:I laughed a little when he said drawing the male bodies are harder. Anyway, thank you.
Then you should laugh at me too, since I too find drawing male bodies are much harder (and painful) to draw.

In the end though, it's only a matter of which one you draw the most. Before I can properly draw females, I thought male bodies are easier to draw simply because I drew male all the times.
"Double the princesses, quadruple the fun!" - Haken Browning (SRW-OG Endless Frontier)

DeviantArt Account
MoeToMecha Blog (under construction)
Lolicondria Blog (under construction) <- NSFW

falsedelusion
Regular

#5 Post by falsedelusion »

WolfHunner wrote:
dramspringfeald wrote:Here try this or This Good Luck
I laughed a little when he said drawing the male bodies are harder. Anyway, thank you.
Drawing male bodies are harder for some people. It might depend on which body type you start out on (e.g. for the first 4-5years of my drawing life, I was too scared to draw guys, so when I did start drawing males, it was very hard for me)

as for female bodies, I read somewhere that the idea body type is the hourglass. Aka, chest measurement = hip measurement.
So maybe something like below?
Its kinda hard to just draw the hips and know if it looks right or not; you'll have to draw in the chest too to get a frame of reference.
I think once you get used to drawing the perfect figure, then you can experiment and draw other body types.

The key thing is to study actual people (don't be scared to seem creepy) and practice lots :)

EDIT: just realized you asked from thin to thick.... so I added another two example. I tried OTL
Attachments
9wd5g3.jpg
9wd5g13.jpg

WolfHunner
Regular

#6 Post by WolfHunner »

Thanks a bunch falsedelusion.
I didn't mean to offend anyone about the difficulty of male anatomy. :lol:

Edit: Is the navel suppose to be a certain distance from the vagina?

dramspringfeald
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: The Echo, CBlue, Safety_Dance

#7 Post by dramspringfeald »

Not really, but I would try to be a little above half way from the Crotch and bottom of the ribs.
tumblr_mgbxb0Zqnf1qg2ny5o1_500.jpg
Don't be a Poser! Learn to Draw
Learn to Draw with Stan Lee
Learn to Draw with Mark Crilley
If you want you can brows my art. My art can be found at...FA // IB // DA Neglected for a few years so I'm just now updating it

Learn to break a bone to break a bone,
Learn to build a house to build a house,
Learn to make a Game to make a Game.

Nuxill
Veteran
Projects: No Friend
Tumblr: nuxill
itch: nuxill

#8 Post by Nuxill »

The tutorials dramspringfeald posted don't really explain much, so I found some that show varying sizes and explain why they work that way.

If you don't mind a little nudity, there's a great reference here that could help you: http://dredsina.tumblr.com/post/25341400011
This is also good for a slightly more cartoony style (another warning for nudity!) http://littlefroggies.tumblr.com/post/1 ... eally-fast

Here's also a visual reference of a lot of male and female athletes of all different body types that is a wonderful reminder of how different our bodies can be and how different bodies are suited to different types of work: http://danipat.tumblr.com/post/30141950 ... ant-period

Also if you have time I would highly recommend watching IntroducingEmy's Redline Tuesday videos. There's tons of little tips that are GREAT for beginners and even though it's geared toward a more cartoony style you can tell she knows a LOT about anatomy. http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLFA8354E49777D52E

Hope these help! :)