Could someone redline my sprite?

Questions, skill improvement, and respectful critique involving art assets.
teacup
Holder of Tasty Drinks
Completed: (P)lanets - the life of normalcy has ended
Projects: Circum[N]avigate

Could someone redline my sprite?

#1 Post by teacup »

Hello, I was wondering if anyone has time to redline my sprites. I feel that something is off, but I don't know what it is.
I'm still not very good at anatomy, so it'd be nice to have some help.
I can upload a bigger version if necessary.
Thanks in advance!
Attachments
kaiussprie.png

MonoPiero
Regular

Re: Could someone redline my sprite?

#2 Post by MonoPiero »

The upper arm is too long '-'.
(I think I failed correcting anything but I tried ;-;)
Attachments
01.png

teacup
Holder of Tasty Drinks

#3 Post by teacup »

Ah, this really helps c:
I have trouble drawing arms. I always make arms too long, so I'll try to work on that...
Thank you so much MonoPiero!

If anyone else wants to feel free :) I still have a lot to learn.

Oh, and I just realized this is a personal art thread. Sorry, I made a mistake ;-;

bunbun
Regular

#4 Post by bunbun »

Not the best artist but I tried redlining.
WIPS

teacup
Holder of Tasty Drinks

#5 Post by teacup »

Thank you!! Again, it's very helpful! ^^

Nuxill
Veteran
Projects: No Friend
Tumblr: nuxill
itch: nuxill

#6 Post by Nuxill »

I have a couple of suggestions for the drawing:

1) As of Right Now, due to the way you've positioned the torso and the legs, he doesn't have much of a center of gravity, aka he looks like he could fall over at the gentlest of pushes. With the way his arms are folded over it seems like he should be standing his ground. I kept the sassy looking hip jut because it seemed to fit his character, but that could be not what you meant it to be seen as so sorry if that's wrong. Also, the perspective on the shoes makes it look as though they're not on flat ground. I guess it doesn't matter if you're never going to see the feet anyway but it wouldn't hurt to change.

2) Depending on what kind of feel you're going for you might want to shorten the legs a little bit because as of right now they feel a little long. Same with the arms. If you want an elongated look that's totally cool too.

3) The folded arms look a little too squished into the torso and should be pushed out a tiny bit, and the line that represents the chest should probably overlap the back arm more so that it doesn't look like hes pressing that arm to his chest as much. I suggest looking at yourself crossing your arms in front of the mirror and make observations at how the bulk of the arms sits on top of the chest and not on the sides.

4) I'm guessing that weird lump on his butt in the turned sprite is supposed to be a pocket? I don't think you would be able to see it from that angle. The same goes with the angle on the collar. It's a bit too turned towards the viewer. The collar shouldn't be that tight to move with the neck so much. The arms were also a little long and didn't fit with how long the arms are in the other sprite. Keep in mind where the elbows are and use that as your reference. (I'm noticing right now that I didn't completely match up the elbows... shame on me!)

Everything else looks good to me.
Attachments
kaiussprie-1.png

chocojax
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Umbra, Familiarity, Maleficent Justice
Tumblr: chocojax

#7 Post by chocojax »

Umm, tried to show stuff in three-dimensions, but I'm still pretty bad, so, lol. I did include some observations that I've done on stuff like pants and feet, so, I hope this helps. :>
Attachments
2013040901.png

teacup
Holder of Tasty Drinks

#8 Post by teacup »

Nuxill wrote:I have a couple of suggestions for the drawing:

1) As of Right Now, due to the way you've positioned the torso and the legs, he doesn't have much of a center of gravity, aka he looks like he could fall over at the gentlest of pushes. With the way his arms are folded over it seems like he should be standing his ground. I kept the sassy looking hip jut because it seemed to fit his character, but that could be not what you meant it to be seen as so sorry if that's wrong. Also, the perspective on the shoes makes it look as though they're not on flat ground. I guess it doesn't matter if you're never going to see the feet anyway but it wouldn't hurt to change.

2) Depending on what kind of feel you're going for you might want to shorten the legs a little bit because as of right now they feel a little long. Same with the arms. If you want an elongated look that's totally cool too.

3) The folded arms look a little too squished into the torso and should be pushed out a tiny bit, and the line that represents the chest should probably overlap the back arm more so that it doesn't look like hes pressing that arm to his chest as much. I suggest looking at yourself crossing your arms in front of the mirror and make observations at how the bulk of the arms sits on top of the chest and not on the sides.

4) I'm guessing that weird lump on his butt in the turned sprite is supposed to be a pocket? I don't think you would be able to see it from that angle. The same goes with the angle on the collar. It's a bit too turned towards the viewer. The collar shouldn't be that tight to move with the neck so much. The arms were also a little long and didn't fit with how long the arms are in the other sprite. Keep in mind where the elbows are and use that as your reference. (I'm noticing right now that I didn't completely match up the elbows... shame on me!)

Everything else looks good to me.
Ah, thank you for all of the advice. I'll make sure to take it into consideration.
1. The sprite is going to be cut off at the waist, so any of the weirdness going on past that will never be seen, haha. I thought it would still be good practice to attempt a full body male though. You're right, it doesn't look like his shoes are flat. I can't believe I didn't notice that!
He's a reserved and introverted person, and most people like that seem to stand with their arms crossed. I want him to look like he's telling others 'Don't talk to me'.

2. He's supposed to be very tall and thin (to the point where he towers over everyone else), so I intentionally made his legs a little long. I still want to make sure he looks proportional though!

4. Weird lump on his butt? Haha, I don't really see it but if there is one, it isn't supposed to be there. I'll be completely honest when I say I don't know how to draw butts, and I couldn't find a reference for that pose so xD;;

Anyway, thanks again. I'm learning a lot!
chocojax wrote:Umm, tried to show stuff in three-dimensions, but I'm still pretty bad, so, lol. I did include some observations that I've done on stuff like pants and feet, so, I hope this helps. :>
Wow, this is awesome! Will definitely be keeping this as a reference for my other sprites as well. Thank youu! ;u;

I'll edit the sprites tomorrow and hopefully they'll look better than they do now. I'm glad I didn't screw up too badly, but I definitely need to make some changes. I really appreciate all of you taking the time to help me!