Art Dumpage! Show your art ^^

Questions, skill improvement, and respectful critique involving art assets.
Headache
Regular

Re: Art Dumpage! Show your art ^^

#2626 Post by Headache »

Oh my god, Mugen. Awesome skills. *__*

Verity
Regular
Projects: Wanderer

#2627 Post by Verity »

Anything anyone can see to correct here? I know there are people here with a good eye for that...
aislinsprite-finish.jpg

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#2628 Post by PyTom »

Since we can see her arms through the sleeves of her dress, shouldn't we be able to see a line representing the bottom of the back of those sleeves?
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

Topagae

"Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum quia dolor sit a

#2629 Post by Topagae »

"Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit..."
Last edited by Topagae on Thu Aug 25, 2011 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Koizumi
Projects: Maya's Dream/Fantasy

#2630 Post by Koizumi »

Hello there!

I'm making a character for a game I want to make ^-^

I want to see if there are any problems with my art other than not having clothes... XP
she's not done yet...

^-^

Ren

#2631 Post by Ren »

I'd say there are a few very obvious problems that jump to the eye: her shoulders are too high up - if you're not going for a pose in which she's got tense shoulders, whether because she's angry or screaming, I'd say you should lower them a bit. The pubic bone is way too high: if you look at yourself in the mirror, you'll notice that it's actually lower than your wrists, which in your picture are much lower than the pubic bone is. The forearm are much longer than the upper arms, I'd say that lowering them to where you seem to have the end of the ribcage would be a good idea.
I'd suggest looking at how the muscles in the legs are arranged, too: in your picture there's an unnecessary curve right upon her right knee, where I'd expect her leg to actually get thinner. Making the muscles of the calves a bit more evident would help too.
Lastly, her hands have a really stiff pose: keep in mind that the player looks at these sprites for the whole game - if the pose looks so stiff it will look like she needs a chiropractor by the end of the game.

The style itself is quite nice, I also like how you already inserted the animations for her expressions.

Ren

#2632 Post by Ren »

Verity: I quite like the style - it seems to be an interesting variation of the usual stylisation we often see on these forums, it looks personal and gives me the idea I could easily grow fond of your characters even before having their personalities described with a story. It's a good start!

However, I'd recommend paying more attention to the symmetry of the face: if you flip the drawing you will more easily notice that her left eye seems to be more far away from the axis of the face than the rest (the mouth and the other eye) is. It also seems to me that you tend to try and - most likely not consciously - flatten everything on a single plane. I'd say that from the way she's standing, her left shoulder should be more affected by perspective and thus smaller and shorter. I can say, looking at her neck, that her body is slightly turned away from the viewer, but her shoulders seem to try and look as if they were instead on a plane facing the viewer's eyes.

I'd also play with the colours a bit: the hair have a very saturated and strong brown, while the dress has very pastelly shades. They don't seem to go so well together, and the pastelly colours kind of look too light with the black outline. Lastly, I'd try to use different shades of colours for the shadows: as it is, it seems to me you tried to pick just a darker shade of the same colour from the colour picker in your program. I'd try to maybe use a more purple version of the skin and put it on a multiply layer and see what it does. Try with other colours such as blues and greens, and see if you find shades that you like.

Koizumi

#2633 Post by Koizumi »

Woah! XD I guess I should practice more :)

Here's a slightly edited Maya sprite! ^-^
I hope there are improvements XP
but the legs still fail D:

Oh btw, she's wearing a band-aid and a scrunchie, a ring and a thread with beads as necklace :P

Ren

#2634 Post by Ren »

I'd still work on her hands and shoulders (or at least give her an alternate, more natural, pose), but I'd say the legs certainly improved.

Also, I quite like the clothing idea, even though I wonder whether taking away a huge plaster from your chest is even feasible. :P

Koizumi

#2635 Post by Koizumi »

Ren wrote:I'd still work on her hands and shoulders (or at least give her an alternate, more natural, pose), but I'd say the legs certainly improved.
I'd rather give her an alternate pose ^-^
because fixing it would probably destroy the whole body O_O" (*I tried XD)

or maybe I should make a lot of different poses for her XD
or maybe at least 3 poses :/

Ren

#2636 Post by Ren »

Well, I'd say this one looks perfect for the crying expression, anyway. :)

Anthy
Regular

#2637 Post by Anthy »

^ Yeah, that pose would seem to work best for crying/annoyed/angry/etc expressions cause it still looks like she is raising her shoulders a little. For happy expressions, I think her stance should be more relaxed and open.

I drew this picture for a blog layout I want to make.

I was going for a 70s shoujo manga style... a style I'm probably a little too familiar with :P
She's also a reeeally, really old original character of mine that I haven't drawn in a long time, so it's weird comparing this artwork with my old ones. Even though I have a long way to go to perfect my art technique, what I have now makes my old stuff look so... amateurish. Haha. But it's one of those things where the ideas were good, so I don't want to let them go.

feyz

#2638 Post by feyz »

@Anthy,
i like it! it's very classy~ and the way u color it really matches the feel. did u color it in computer or manually?

fortaat
Regular

#2639 Post by fortaat »

Anthy:
You were spot on with the style, for better or worse. The subject (tender woman with rose), the coloring, the fancy dress, the Background - everything looks like top notch shoujo manga. I love it, it's awesome.
The bad part is the lack of originality, which is quite understandable since it's a re-imaging of an old painting. I'm really curious to see what you can do with the same style, given a different subject.

Upper back - I believe it should be wider, or covered by the hair.
A clumsy example:

yummy
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Suna to Majo

#2640 Post by yummy »

This just reminded me of the slapping game ^^
This composition is a little bit classic, and the hands positions are a little weird, but I feel its warmth.
I think you have made a great research about the victorian dress, although the rear physics are a little off.