Art Dumpage! Show your art ^^

Questions, skill improvement, and respectful critique involving art assets.
Camille
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Please see http://trash.moe
Projects: the head well lost
Organization: L3
Tumblr: narihira
Deviantart: crownwaltz
itch: lore

Re: Art Dumpage! Show your art ^^

#2911 Post by Camille »

Snowflower wrote:I feel inferior about my nonexistent art skills
This is how I feel on a daily basis, lmao. *surrounded by great artist friends* But both of us can write! :D To my artist friends, my ability to write well is amazing since most of them can't do it, so it just means you're talented in another field that's a lot harder to show off.

Snowflower
Bishie Fangirl
Completed: Idol Crush
Projects: Shugojin!, RockRobin (openmodewriter), your highness
Soundcloud: jenna-yeon

#2912 Post by Snowflower »

XD
It's a win-win~
Although I would love to be able to draw like that.
But some of the artists are writers too... jealousy...
Completed: Idol Crush | WIP: your highness | Hiatus: Shugojin!| Follow Me on Twitter | Subscribe to YouTube
your highness @ 102k as of 2/13

Camille
Eileen-Class Veteran

#2913 Post by Camille »

I personally think it's great that I can just focus on my writing (...and coding...) though. I mean imagine the stress if you had to write AND draw your own visual novel? :X

Aozora210
Regular
Projects: Ruins and Heaven

#2914 Post by Aozora210 »

Ah people. Why art thou so amazing.

@Camille: I write and (mostly) draw for my own VN project. It is quite stressing, like what you said.

After lurking for a while, I collected my courage and throw something here. Just the full picture of my avatar. Lots of faulties in anatomy, but somehow I like the color.

EDIT: forgot to mention. This is a character for a certain RP group in dA. The clothes design are not made by me, but the character is mine XD
Attachments
agape color.png
Last edited by Aozora210 on Thu Apr 28, 2011 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Current Project
Ruins and Heaven

Tachyglossus
Regular
Projects: Sprite Art for: "Final Banquet", "365 Days"

#2915 Post by Tachyglossus »

@Aozora: Haaa.... I am also a shy lurker. I don't even comment much because I think "Gee, I'm a newbie, why would anyone care what I think?" but.... ANYWAY! *clears throat*

You certainly need to work on your hands, but it's good to see that you are putting it into practice (as you mentioned in another thread about hand anatomy). It takes maturity as an artist to tackle the hands rather than always hide them. Also, her bust is a bit ambiguous. I see the curvature on one side, but the way you highlighted the jacket on the right (her left) under the collar and above her arm... see there where you have a round highlight? It makes it look like she has one large, low breast there. Also her hair looks much better zoomed out, because the thick, untapered lines used to highlight (not the halo, but the greenish strands) look a bit sloppy. The actual halo shine looks good, though. Watch your light source, the hair says it's coming from one location, while her clothes tell another story. Also her elbows could use a bit of work; not so angular. It can be hard to make it look right when you know they are wearing a stiff material, such as with her jacket, on the sleeves. I struggle with that myself (actually I struggle in a lot of these areas myself, which is why I notice them because they are the same darn mistakes I make!)

Nit picking aside, I adore her eyes. They are very pretty and nicely shaped. The colours you chose are very nice, and I'm quite fond of both her shirt and jacket collar. I have a hard time with collars. However, I think the best feature (besides her pretty eyes) would be the pleats in her skirt. You gave it some asymmetry and a rumbled look, whereas so many people draw the skirts too stiff and perfectly fanned... and you can tell they used the line tool a bit too much. This skirt has more life to it. I also like the little detail of showing the seam of her tights just under and behind the knee before it disappears to the b ack of her calf. The lower legs are quite long, but you see that a lot in anime styles, so I don't think it's really an anatomy error so much as a stylistic choice. But then, I think everyone's calves are long because I'm so short and the rest of my family are short so anything else looks weird. Ha ha ha ha! Anyway, good of you to finally have the courage to post!

Camille
Eileen-Class Veteran

#2916 Post by Camille »

Aozora210 wrote:@Camille: I write and (mostly) draw for my own VN project. It is quite stressing, like what you said.
Haha it's super stressful just writing, so I can't imagine drawing on top of that. ;_; But I like your art quite a lot! I can't give a detailed critique or anything since I'm not an artist, but the expression looks great. And I know you didn't design it, but I absolutely love the uniform design. :D

Auro-Cyanide
ssǝʇunoƆ ʇɹ∀
Completed: http://auro-cyanide.tumblr.com/visualnovels
Projects: Athena
Organization: Cyanide Tea
Tumblr: auro-cyanide
Deviantart: Auro-Cyanide

#2917 Post by Auro-Cyanide »

lol. People like rainbow things~

Anyway, I'm glad you guys like. It was really fun to draw all the characters, it was nice to let my style go in and see what it looks like.
Smileyface's looks awesome! And Camille, your friend is amazing, very pretty artwork. I really like it.

And you should never feel sad snowflower~ Everyone has what they are good at. I admire good writers and I am truly envious of those that understand programming gobblygook. I know renpy makes it easy, but it still confuses the heck out of me. So I think those people have amazing talents too~

Camille
Eileen-Class Veteran

#2918 Post by Camille »

Auro-Cyanide wrote:lol. People like rainbow things~

Anyway, I'm glad you guys like. It was really fun to draw all the characters, it was nice to let my style go in and see what it looks like.
Smileyface's looks awesome! And Camille, your friend is amazing, very pretty artwork. I really like it.

And you should never feel sad snowflower~ Everyone has what they are good at. I admire good writers and I am truly envious of those that understand programming gobblygook. I know renpy makes it easy, but it still confuses the heck out of me. So I think those people have amazing talents too~
Haha rainbow things are just very eye-catching. I just had to click it and check it out! :O

I'll pass on what you said, thank you! If anyone's interested, she did another CG of Charlene and posted a sped-up recording of her CGing process. If you guys have stuff like that, I'd love to watch. :o There's something fascinating about seeing how an artist completes a work, hehe.

azureXtwilight
Megane Procrastinator
Completed: Fantasia series (ROT and ROTA), Doppleganger: Dawn of The Inverted Soul, a2 (a due), Time Labyrinth
Projects: At Regime's End
Organization: Memento-Mori VNs, Team Sleepyhead

#2919 Post by azureXtwilight »

Dumping a picture done in 30 minutes ;_;

mugenjohncel
Hentai Poofter
Organization: Studio Mugenjohncel

#2920 Post by mugenjohncel »

It's been a while for me...

Here’s Renpy’s Mascot Eileen enjoying a sunny day in the park while holding what seems to be a China Made smartphone clone and a stylus on the other hand.
Attachments
Eileen Holding a Smartphone and Stylus while in a Park by Mugenjohncel.jpg

Elze
Veteran
Tumblr: Poepii

#2921 Post by Elze »

Snowflower, Yon3: Thank you very much ;v;

Mugen: Very cute! It looks like an anime screenshot xD

I saw the rainbow heads and had the urge to do something similar. But I'm not very fond of drawing floating heads so I did half-bodies. ouo;; Wasn't sure if I should post this here or on the 'share the love' thread since mine looks..different. D:
lemmagrp1.jpg
Umm. I only managed to squeeze in 5 girls on one paper. I'd meant to do all the girls on the front page but trying to figure out how confusing complicated clothes work takes up way too much time for a sketch lol. So I stopped at one page. Will do this again when I have more free time. D8

Auro-Cyanide
ssǝʇunoƆ ʇɹ∀
Completed: http://auro-cyanide.tumblr.com/visualnovels
Projects: Athena
Organization: Cyanide Tea
Tumblr: auro-cyanide
Deviantart: Auro-Cyanide

#2922 Post by Auro-Cyanide »

Finally, FINALLY, actually put some effort into painting a background. Critique welcome.
School Road repaint 4 copy.jpg

OtomeWeekend
Eileen-Class Veteran

#2923 Post by OtomeWeekend »

@mugenjohncel:
you forgot your "*poof*". lol

haha, chinaphone huh? Oh the scenery of those phones in greenhills xD... I miss Philippines TT^TT
"The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is the attribute of the strong." ---Mahatma Gandhi

I no longer use this account. Please refer to my new account, enta if you want to contact me. Thank you.

Aozora210
Regular
Projects: Ruins and Heaven

#2924 Post by Aozora210 »

@Tachy: whoa, thanks a lot! XD You mentioned a lot of things I didn't realize! m(_ _)m

@Camille: Thank you very much! The expression is quite tricky to do, hehe XD And... about the uniform. I think the creator is here, her forum name is rideka if I'm not mistaken XD

@azure: that's cute! XD If you spare more time on making it, it'll be wonderful! >w<

@mugenjohncel: I am somehow inclined to check on the BG more than Eileen, but she is cute there, and lol at China smart phone! XD

And everyone begin to make that challenge. I wonder if I should make one too ; v ; Anyway, nice one you made, Elze XD

@Auro: I saw that one in your deviantart! It's beautiful! XD Though somehow it seems like the road is a bit... fish-eyed? I don't know how to say it D8 I love the soft colors and the plants XD
Current Project
Ruins and Heaven

Tachyglossus
Regular
Projects: Sprite Art for: "Final Banquet", "365 Days"

#2925 Post by Tachyglossus »

@Azure: Aaaah the days of 30 minute images! It's a cute picture and I like where you go with the ocntrast of hue, even if it isn't actually fully coloured. However, it definately shows that this was a quickly done picture. Although the girl appears to only have one eye. Sure, her hair is over her eye, but the corner of it should still be visible behind it. Also the pillow has no depth, whether that is reflected in the shading or lineart (probably both) I'm not sure. But it looks like it's as flat as the sheets beneath her. Anyway, the wrinkles in the clothes and on the bed are nicely done and give the image life.

@Mugen : Very nice, but... is it just me, or should there be a hint of a back to the part of her jacket that is flaring out on the left (her right)?

@Auro: Oooooooooooh I really like that, but I can't critique it. Perspective and backgrounsd aren't one of my strong points, and i feel I'd be walking on thin ice if I tried to sound like I knew what I was talking about. It does have a sort of fish0eyed look, but I personally like that; it gives it character!

@Elze: You totally should toss that in the Show the ♥ thread, if you haven't already! Just because it isn't full of floating heads doesn't mean that it will not mesh, if anything, it has even MORE love because you put more into it! Sometimes faces start to look the same anyhow without a bit of the body (and outfit) to change things up! I have to saw you did really awesome on the clothes. Lucia's crossed over arms look a little off, but I can't quite pin-point what is off about them! Anyway, perhaps I am bias, but I really like how Alua turned out, especially with the falling back and windswept look of her hair and clothes.

@Aozora: You're welcome. I was in the mood to nit-pick and afterwards hoped I didn't come across as anal. Ha ha ha... some days I have it in me to give really informative feedback, other days I'm happy to just say "Ooooh pretty!".