Art Dumpage! Show your art ^^

Questions, skill improvement, and respectful critique involving art assets.
Jake
Support Hero

#226 Post by Jake »

yuirei wrote:- 300 dpi (standard)
Without knowing how many imaginary inches wide your image above is, that doesn't mean much, unfortunately... is the screen version linked above saved at 72dpi from the same document?
Server error: user 'Jake' not found

yuirei
Regular

#227 Post by yuirei »

Without knowing how many imaginary inches wide your image above is, that doesn't mean much, unfortunately... is the screen version linked above saved at 72dpi from the same document?
300dpi is used as a standard for digital printing =)

Of course images used in Renpy would be a lot smaller. The CG posted in DA is a reduced version of the original one

Jake
Support Hero

#228 Post by Jake »

yuirei wrote:300dpi is used as a standard for digital printing =)

Of course images used in Renpy would be a lot smaller. The CG posted in DA is a reduced version of the original one
The 'reduced' part is why your answer doesn't actually tell us anything.

300dpi is a valid answer to the question, of course, but 'dpi' stands for 'dots per inch', and when you're talking about an image on a computer monitor the number of dots per inch changes quite drastically. If I have my 14"-horizontal monitor at 800x600 and display a 450-pixel-wide image, it's about eight inches wide; if I have the same monitor at 1024x768 the image displays around six inches wide instead.

Realistically, while the dpi is the 'correct' answer, unless we know how many 'inches' wide your original image was, or how many dpi you output the one on DA as (or what scaling factor you used) then just giving us the dpi doesn't give us any information; it's more useful to answer such questions with the number of pixels wide the original image was, despite that not really being what's being asked.

DaFool
Lemma-Class Veteran

#229 Post by DaFool »

Jake wrote: it's more useful to answer such questions with the number of pixels wide the original image was, despite that not really being what's being asked.
Actually that's what I meant by resolution, but since you're using vector (and if it's all done in vector until the final export), then it's a pointless question.

3-4 hours? Hmmm, I better start using vector, at least for character art (nothing beats raster for BGs, though :D )

Jake
Support Hero

#230 Post by Jake »

DaFool wrote:3-4 hours? Hmmm, I better start using vector, at least for character art (nothing beats raster for BGs, though :D )
I'm still in favour of a healthy blend, myself, if anything more so for BGs than character art. Yuirei's looks pretty good, but it's too easy with vector art to have everything looking too mechanical and soulless. Especially things like eyes - were they one of the parts you added raster detail to, Yuirei?

By way of example, for a while now my art output has nearly all been pages of a webcomic; it's obviously not the same usage mode as a VN, but in some senses it's kind of similar, it's necessary to portray more character through art than you might have to in other applications. Pages like these have vector-based backgrounds which are drawn over with raster 'detail', but the characters are all entirely raster.

(To stay vaguely on-topic, I've been drawing VN sprites for a few weeks as well:
[Rena, Burgundy, Baja, Li]

...I'm only really happy with Bur and Li, though. :/ )

DaFool
Lemma-Class Veteran

#231 Post by DaFool »

Here we have an example of a true artist in the western style. If you said you draw comics for a living, I would believe you :D

I actually like the Baja sprite, even though she gives the 'butch' feeling.

And if you don't mind my asking, how long in total hours estimated for each VN sprite from sketch to CG? I ask because I'm still figuring out a way to efficiently do 100+ character sprites.

I think the balance between vector / raster is more of an issue of to where you dedicate the most 'texture' (raster), and which you'd be content with just having the outlines as smooth as possible (vector). For one thing I noticed that Japanese style tends to favor more detailed backgrounds, whereas Western style tends to favor more detailed characters -- in general. Like if you've heard of Fantastic Children, they've got really nice settings but the ugliest characters imaginable--and there are plenty of those examples in anime. At the same time I'd wish there would be more western artists who would take the time make their settings either more realistic or more artsy, but in general more detailed in any case.

Just my 2c.

yuirei
Regular

#232 Post by yuirei »

The 'reduced' part is why your answer doesn't actually tell us anything.
original: 2550x3510
more or less it's an 82dpi version of the original one =)

sorry if I didn't answered the question directly =)
but it's too easy with vector art to have everything looking too mechanical and soulless
I'd like to hear what my friends in DA have to say to this .. btw my style is not "vector" to begin with (I remember saying it's a cross between raster and vector, only because I use methods similar to vector). We Anime Artists call it Cel Shade =)

Jake
Support Hero

#233 Post by Jake »

DaFool wrote: If you said you draw comics for a living, I would believe you :D
Aww... thanks, but I'm not that good. Plus, programming pays a lot better. ;-)
DaFool wrote: I actually like the Baja sprite, even though she gives the 'butch' feeling.
She's supposed to be tomboyish, but ... yeah, a little too much so, really, there. I'll probably have another go at the face before long...
DaFool wrote: And if you don't mind my asking, how long in total hours estimated for each VN sprite from sketch to CG? I ask because I'm still figuring out a way to efficiently do 100+ character sprites.
Somewhere between two and six hours, depending on how many times I needed to re-draw bits! ;-)

Seriously, the Burgundy one went very smoothly (If nothing else, I find it a lot easier to draw male features than female) and it took me a lunchtime at work to draw the line art and an hour or so later that evening to colour it in. With the Li sprite I went through about ten iterative improvements of the sketch with a couple of very helpful friends pointing out bits that didn't look right, and getting the sketch alone done probably took more than two hours... but I certainly think she looks better for it.
DaFool wrote: For one thing I noticed that Japanese style tends to favor more detailed backgrounds, whereas Western style tends to favor more detailed characters -- in general.
I was discussing this with a friend just recently, as it goes... we concluded that it was more the case that Japanese style tends to favour emotive stylistic representations, where western art tends to prefer realism, which tends to need more detail to represent. One of the things he picked out about the western comics art I could find was that the backgrounds were 'too detailed, and distract the viewer from the characters'. ;-)

It's not always the case, certainly, but in the examples we could both find the western stuff did seem to have more background detail than the Japanese examples. Half the manga we pulled up between us didn't even have BGs for half the panels... But of course, we were only considering manga - I'm not sure it's really fair to say there's a western equivalent of something like Fantastic Children to compare to...

Choark

#234 Post by Choark »

Well I'm new here, I like to draw for fun so hey, why not share some stuff?

First: Hello!
I'm afraid to most of you I'm some old fart (25 and counting!) who is just wasting his free time sketching away. I never really practiced until uni, and even then I just did it in my spare time for mates and myself. I don't really have many coloured art to share but I'll show some more recent sketches.

Second:
Before I do share anything of mine, from what I've looked through theres some damn nice talent here. Really good stuff. Damn punk kids with ya talent, energy, youth and effort, making us old farts look bad.

Third:
I waffled on enough!
I like To draw Cute girls Even spooky ones

This was a tryout of different emotions... Just by trying to swap eye and mouth types

Violence is an answer Espically when done with clubs

Girl plumber?
Two girls hugging
She has a harp

Might as well share something coloured

And thats it unless I just pimp my sketches folder Like so where all this came from <- Though be warned there is some Hentai-ish/perverted/sex stuff found in there. My Devianart account is far less dangerous. http://choark.deviantart.com/

Well thats it! Looking forward to seeing what you all do.

DaFool
Lemma-Class Veteran

#235 Post by DaFool »

Yay, more talented artists!

What do you mean old fart? Most of the people on this board are old farts, some even married old farts.

Punk kids? As far as I know, they are vastly outnumbered by the post-college working generations.

It takes crazy amounts of dedication to finish a game, so that limits the people to those mature enough. Those who lack the patience lose interest quickly then disappear.

monele
Lemma-Class Veteran

#236 Post by monele »

I might be wrong but we're mostly between 20 and 30 years old around here.

I like the "cute girl" and colored girl with punkish hair the most ^^

F.I.A
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Winter Shard, EVE, Hyperion

#237 Post by F.I.A »

Aye, guess I am getting old, especially when I am an official uncle to boot. :lol:

@Choark: You are rather talented. We shall be waiting for more works.
「通りすがりのメーカだ。覚えとけ。」

----------
Winter shard
WIP: Hyperion(Trace unknown), ?????(Progressing)

Matt_D
Regular

#238 Post by Matt_D »

It's quite nice to be on a j-fandom type board where the average age isn't 15 LOL, and nice art ^^ yay to clubs, although the clubs arn't quite excalibong.

edit - haha Teruchan on the faves ^^ I love that dudes work.

Choark

#239 Post by Choark »

It takes crazy amounts of dedication to finish a game, so that limits the people to those mature enough. Those who lack the patience lose interest quickly then disappear.
Oh defiantly. I've been well impressed by the people on this board and the work they've done. I think I keep on saying that so I'm going on like a broke record here but honestly, it is impressive.

To answer:
Lets call that me testing how well my eh.. "humour" goes in my posts here. Sometimes it takes, sometimes it doesn't. That and I like playing the old fart even if I'm 'just' 25 years old. so even if any of you are even older then me I'll still play the old man. Grampa's. I'll probably refure to myself as a pervert quite often too as well. Normally with good reason.

Oh! And thank you for the talented comments and favorites. I'm glad ya'll like my art. I'll keep drawing so hopefully they'll be new stuff aplenty to show.

Teruchan does indeed do very good artwork. Even his scrapes amaze me. Plus he does sexy women, and I love me sexy women.

papillon
Arbiter of the Internets
Completed: lots; see website!
Projects: something mysterious involving yuri, usually
Organization: Hanako Games
Tumblr: hanakogames

#240 Post by papillon »

:cry:
*sniffle*

Don't you know it's impolite to make a lady feel old?

WAAAAAAAAAAH!