Art Dumpage! Show your art ^^

Questions, skill improvement, and respectful critique involving art assets.
Koniki
Projects: Lingering Presence

Re: Art Dumpage! Show your art ^^

#4891 Post by Koniki »

lovebirds.jpg
Some scratchboard art I did for a friend's wedding
ummm...
Nagekigone.png
Fanart for Hatoful Boyfriend (lovelovelove)
emi.png
Fanart for Katawa Shoujo >3<

ebi brain
Regular
Organization: Zettai Rookie Project

#4892 Post by ebi brain »

LateWhiteRabbit wrote:
Nuxill wrote:@ebi:
I suggest not smudging the charcoal/pencil on your pictures for shading because it can tend to make the picture look messy or sloppy and grayed out. Try achieving the lights and darks you need without resorting to using your finger. :)
Yes, smudging graphite is a big no-no. They were really against this at art school - smudging charcoal is fine, because a charcoal drawing is usually made on a pretreated sheet of paper that has had charcoal embedded, but graphite shading should be built up with light careful strokes in different graphite pencils, from hard to soft or soft to hard. Those paper smudge sticks you can buy at art stores are for charcoal pencils, not graphite pencils.

Thanks so much for the explanation!
Now that I look at my drawings again, I can sort of see what you mean.

So, would you suggest that I just stick to focusing on putting down accurate lines, and leave the shading for when I can get that right?

Or, would it be better to practice both shading/crosshatching and lines at the same time?

And I was wondering, because of RSI. skinny pencils just won't do, so right now pretty much the only pencil I can use is a really fat Worther Shorty, with a very soft 3.15mm pencil lead (7B) ( ( I haven't been able to find any harder ones for this size of clutch pencil :/)... But, is this generally too soft for achieving a very light strokes or am I just pushing the lead to hard?...This is actually why I started smudging, to make it look lighter.

Sorry for the questions/wall of text >_< I understand if you don't have time to answer these trivial questions :oops:
Since I have our site RSI, I used speech recognition by, sometimes this means I'll make some mistakes. :D

My sketchbook - Come yell at me :D

MomoiroGirl
Veteran
Deviantart: MomoiroGirl
Location: Somewheeere over the rainbow~ ... Well, Denmark at least

#4893 Post by MomoiroGirl »

YAAAY, I finally finished something again! XD Though, this one is actually also made from a sketch, sooo the lines are a little rough lol XD

It's a fanart from the game "To The moon", the scene where the main character met his wife when they were kids :D I got kinda lazy towards the end, but hey, at least I finished it lol XD
Attachments
tothemoon - i always thought they were lighthouses resized.png

LateWhiteRabbit
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: The Space Between

#4894 Post by LateWhiteRabbit »

ebi brain wrote: So, would you suggest that I just stick to focusing on putting down accurate lines, and leave the shading for when I can get that right?

Or, would it be better to practice both shading/crosshatching and lines at the same time?
You definitely want to get your structure down first before doing shading and finishing.
ebi brain wrote: And I was wondering, because of RSI. skinny pencils just won't do, so right now pretty much the only pencil I can use is a really fat Worther Shorty, with a very soft 3.15mm pencil lead (7B) ( ( I haven't been able to find any harder ones for this size of clutch pencil :/)... But, is this generally too soft for achieving a very light strokes or am I just pushing the lead to hard?...This is actually why I started smudging, to make it look lighter.
You can buy graphite sticks that come in different hardnesses. These are large and should work well for you if normal art pencils are too skinny. You can also buy a mechanical drafting pencil and use a thicker grip on it - this will let you change out the skinny graphite sticks and still have a large pen to hold.

Hijiri
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Death Rule:lost code Overdrive Edition, Where the White Doves Rest-Tsumihanseishi
Projects: Death Rule: Killing System
Organization: MESI Games
IRC Nick: Hizi
Tumblr: mesigames
itch: hijiri

#4895 Post by Hijiri »

Thanks for the feedback everyone :D I probably should have tried looking for a higher quality ref for that pose (The only one I found that was decent had a huge watermark on it, so I had trouble seeing how to draw it Orz) Well, now I know what t keep in mind next time.

More work:
Richardv2.png
Orz I hate shoes.
(Also he looks like an older version of Riley, another one of my characters. At first I wanted to change that, but then something rather wicked came to mind and I decided to keep him as is.)
I also understand I'm inconsistent with my shading. But I'm not exactly working on this in the best condition, so I'll spare myself a bit
Image Image
"Perfection goal that always changes. Can pursue, cannot obtain."

Roiya
Regular
Projects: unnamed project

#4896 Post by Roiya »

sorry if the image is a bit big. ive been working on my male anatomy, so if anyone has any critiques that would be helpful!^^ thanks! drawing nipples make me giggle lol
My DEVIANTART=) contact me there for commisions or recruitment if you likey my art
looking for a project to join
http://roiyachan.deviantart.com/
projects i am helping:
Scattered Starlight (GxB, GxG),
feel free to contact me though if you have an interesting one^^

Roiya
Regular
Projects: unnamed project

#4897 Post by Roiya »

Hijiri wrote:Thanks for the feedback everyone :D I probably should have tried looking for a higher quality ref for that pose (The only one I found that was decent had a huge watermark on it, so I had trouble seeing how to draw it Orz) Well, now I know what t keep in mind next time.

More work:
Richardv2.png
[/size]
im not the best at shoes and anatomy either but i think the legs are a bit short in proportion to his upper body. heres a great shoes and feet tutorial i saw on DA. i think youll find it very useful ^^
http://roiyachan.deviantart.com/favourites/#/d46jv0m
My DEVIANTART=) contact me there for commisions or recruitment if you likey my art
looking for a project to join
http://roiyachan.deviantart.com/
projects i am helping:
Scattered Starlight (GxB, GxG),
feel free to contact me though if you have an interesting one^^

ebi brain
Regular
Organization: Zettai Rookie Project

#4898 Post by ebi brain »

LateWhiteRabbit wrote:
ebi brain wrote: So, would you suggest that I just stick to focusing on putting down accurate lines, and leave the shading for when I can get that right?

You definitely want to get your structure down first before doing shading and finishing.
ebi brain wrote: And I was wondering, because of RSI. skinny pencils just won't do, so right now pretty much the only pencil I can use is a really fat Worther Shorty, with a very soft 3.15mm pencil lead (7B) ( ( I haven't been able to find any harder ones for this size of clutch pencil :/)... But, is this generally too soft for achieving a very light strokes or am I just pushing the lead to hard?...This is actually why I started smudging, to make it look lighter.
You can buy graphite sticks that come in different hardnesses. These are large and should work well for you if normal art pencils are too skinny. You can also buy a mechanical drafting pencil and use a thicker grip on it - this will let you change out the skinny graphite sticks and still have a large pen to hold.

All right, then I'll just stick to getting the lines right, and leave the shading for later.
And thanks for the tip! those Lyra graphite sticks look like the perfect pencil for me, especially combined with the holder. I guess they're not great for really small detailed work, but I guess for that I can use one of those mechanical pencils, if I can find one with a thicker grip.

Just to stay on topic, sort of... *dumps art*
I use gessoed watercolor paper, because it ends up being way cheaper than using a canvas. Especially when I just want to practice painting. And right now I only have two colors of oil paints, burnt umber and Titan white.

Apparently it's a ocher breasted antpitta.

Trying another face, from a picture.

Hands are from life, noses and bear are from pictures.

I'm nowhere near ready to really tackle anatomy, but sometimes I like to draw hands and faces anyway.
Since I have our site RSI, I used speech recognition by, sometimes this means I'll make some mistakes. :D

My sketchbook - Come yell at me :D

mirelle
Regular
Projects: The Story of X
Organization: Vocamania

#4899 Post by mirelle »

i love pencils for a weird reason ;w;
[[The X Story]]
Discover the hidden truth within-- but be reminded that more often than not, curiosity kills the cat.
lurking here as a representative of the team~

Auro-Cyanide
ssǝʇunoƆ ʇɹ∀
Completed: http://auro-cyanide.tumblr.com/visualnovels
Projects: Athena
Organization: Cyanide Tea
Tumblr: auro-cyanide
Deviantart: Auro-Cyanide

#4900 Post by Auro-Cyanide »

Sooooooo much love for this movie <3

I loved the way Jack acted towards Baby Tooth. Seriously, the cuteness was enough to kill.

Evangelica

#4901 Post by Evangelica »

@Geckos
Thanks so much for red lining my artwork and sorry for the late reply

After a few weeks of practice and messing around in Photoshop, I'll just dump my latest artwork here...

Kthanx bye *runs off*
Attachments
Latest Picture //fail
Latest Picture //fail

Chaos-Avian
Projects: Ark of DeoxyHz (It has a silent H :P)

#4902 Post by Chaos-Avian »

Just general feedback on these pictures~

Zylinder
Veteran

#4903 Post by Zylinder »

@Auro Gosh, the baby tooth fairies are so cute! Love the whole cookie santa idea C:

And here's a practice sketchy because posting only one line to gush over white-haired characters is a bit no-no:

Obscura
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Coming Out On Top

#4904 Post by Obscura »

@Zylinder

Ahahah, I love how there's all this G-rated art and suddenly BAM!!! This is great and I love it. The contrasts look very good to me.
(It looks like a second person is missing from the picture though...I won't say where I think the person is supposed to be standing...)
Coming Out On Top - An Adult Gay Dating Sim
website

Zylinder
Veteran

#4905 Post by Zylinder »

@Obscura
It's actually referenced from a photo, but yes, I can see where there should be another person! It's probably some phail on my part too, since the area around his mouth/hands were blurry and I couldn't make out what he was doing. I think he was actually fiddling with the gag? idk I blame my 0/20 eyesight
And I'm glad I can provide the casual heart attack for the casual forum-goer 8D