Art Dumpage! Show your art ^^

Questions, skill improvement, and respectful critique involving art assets.
MomoiroGirl
Veteran
Deviantart: MomoiroGirl
Location: Somewheeere over the rainbow~ ... Well, Denmark at least

Re: Art Dumpage! Show your art ^^

#6181 Post by MomoiroGirl »

@Vintehin: Your stuff is pretty cool :D Realistic drawings, that somehow still retain a bit of that cartoon-ish feel, even though they are realistic (if that made sense XD)

@Tempus: Your backgrounds are awesome @__@ They look so pro!

@DerWanderer: I feel like I've seen his face before o.o Nice job!

@Eora: I really dig the feel os this picture :D Now I'm intrigued~

I made a digital version of a drawing I posted earlier, and coloured it, and for once, I'm actually pretty damn satisfied :D
Also, I took a pic of another drawing of my current Gaia avatar (which I might also make a digital, coloured version of) :D
Attachments
gaiac. 1.png
schoolgirl 1 - resized.png

kelsaki
Regular
Projects: Maiden Iron

#6182 Post by kelsaki »

Just a couple of chibis of characters I've FINALLY nailed down the design of. :)

Everyone on here is so good! :D
Attachments
Kaster
Kaster
Kai
Kai

Katon
Regular
Completed: Death Rule:lost code (Art), Death Rule: Fear Complex (Art), Amity: One Tale (Art)
Projects: Death Rule: Killing System(Art) , Gene Codex: Genesis
Organization: MESI Games, Corpse Theater
Tumblr: corpsetheater

#6183 Post by Katon »

I did a redraw thingie and thought I'd share it here. Sorry for the lazily done BG--;;
Attachments
SM1 copy.jpg

heypetdragon
Regular
Projects: 'Angelsong', 'The Homestead', 'The Seedling Witch' and 'Para!'

#6184 Post by heypetdragon »

Hello,
new in the forums...let's try this.
A commission I finished recently.
ImageImage

Armee
Veteran

#6185 Post by Armee »

@heypetdragon: Welcome to the forum! You created such a lovely piece :D

heypetdragon
Regular
Projects: 'Angelsong', 'The Homestead', 'The Seedling Witch' and 'Para!'

#6186 Post by heypetdragon »

Armee wrote:@heypetdragon: Welcome to the forum! You created such a lovely piece :D
* u * Thank you Armee.
Lucente looks great btw!

Deshtat
Regular
Completed: Propel Man ; Galaxy Run
Projects: Reboot
Organization: None yet :/

#6187 Post by Deshtat »

ImageImage

Here are two paintings I realised the last few days. They still need some little improvements, but I don't really want to open Photoshop again today x)

I think I'll use them in some personnal projects.

SimonLayton
Regular

#6188 Post by SimonLayton »

@heypetdragon: I love the details! :D

@deshtat: They look really great! I especially love the fabrics of their clothes. :3

A rather quick one. This is honestly nothing impressive compare to all the art here in the forums. :P
IMG_20140113_000234.jpg
Honest Critique
itch.io | avatar by crestforge

Deshtat
Regular

#6189 Post by Deshtat »

Thanks ^^ Here's a new one I made today.

Endorphin
Veteran

#6190 Post by Endorphin »

Lovely art style, hun. =)
Your anatomy skills are really great!

A few tips concerning colouring:
1. Cloth textures
a.) They don't really fit in as you only use them on the clothes--either throw them out completely, or use them somewhere else too (e.g. a really subtle skin texture). Using a textured brush might work better as it's looser and thus fits in better.
b.) The texture doesn't wrap around the surface which makes the jeans appear flat--if you're using Photoshop using the wrap tool could help.

2. Skin palette
The skin appears really grey-ish. Skin is rather saturated in shadow areas, and using white to highlight is something you should stay away for a while. (Black and white both--they can make an image better, sure, but they are tricky to use, especially since they make your colours more dull by desaturating them.)
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c ... athing.jpg
^ Unnatural lighting and editing, sure, but you can easily spot how saturated the shadows are.
... I just colourpicked the image and noticed that you didn't use white to highlight. The palette appears so dull because you only changed the saturation and darkness of a single hue (which is exactly what happens if you shade with black and white). I won't go into detail here because you can find a lot of tutorials on deviantArt on this, but hue switching is important.
If you have a warm light source, pick your lighter colour in a warmer hue and the darker ones in a cooler hue (e.g green: highlights would be yellow-ish, shadows blue-ish). You don't have to be too extreme, just a subtle switch will make it more vibrant and lively.

I'm looking forward to see more from you--your anatomy really looks good, and your people look so characteristic, it's really nice to look at!

- En.

akemicchi
Veteran
Projects: Magicians of Delphine, Panaderia: Ensaimada, SweetTooth!, XOXO Droplets
Deviantart: littlebabyshoes

#6191 Post by akemicchi »

*jumps in*
aleoaleolith.png
Just wanted to color something. I might clean this up. Anyone have any secret tips for foreshortening? ;v;

LateWhiteRabbit
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: The Space Between

#6192 Post by LateWhiteRabbit »

akemicchi wrote: Anyone have any secret tips for foreshortening? ;v;
Well, you should apply perspective to the figure, just like you would a building or an object .... however, my secret technique is redrawing it till it looks right! Then discover half-way through coloring that it still looks kind of wonky and redrawing it again. Curse my inefficiency!

Auro-Cyanide
ssǝʇunoƆ ʇɹ∀
Completed: http://auro-cyanide.tumblr.com/visualnovels
Projects: Athena
Organization: Cyanide Tea
Tumblr: auro-cyanide
Deviantart: Auro-Cyanide

#6193 Post by Auro-Cyanide »

akemicchi wrote:Anyone have any secret tips for foreshortening? ;v;
This might help you http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJWLaDSNBAI :)

noeinan
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Ren'Py QuickStart, Crimson Rue
Organization: Statistically Unlikely Games
Deviantart: noeinan
Github: noeinan

#6194 Post by noeinan »

Auro-Cyanide wrote: This might help you http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJWLaDSNBAI :)
THANK YOU. Thank you so much for sharing this! I was just lurking, not expecting to find much and when I clicked that link I saw his videos and they are the best!
Last edited by noeinan on Thu Jan 16, 2014 2:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Deshtat
Regular

#6195 Post by Deshtat »

Endorphin wrote:Lovely art style, hun. =)
Your anatomy skills are really great!

A few tips concerning colouring:
1. Cloth textures
a.) They don't really fit in as you only use them on the clothes--either throw them out completely, or use them somewhere else too (e.g. a really subtle skin texture). Using a textured brush might work better as it's looser and thus fits in better.
b.) The texture doesn't wrap around the surface which makes the jeans appear flat--if you're using Photoshop using the wrap tool could help.

2. Skin palette
The skin appears really grey-ish. Skin is rather saturated in shadow areas, and using white to highlight is something you should stay away for a while. (Black and white both--they can make an image better, sure, but they are tricky to use, especially since they make your colours more dull by desaturating them.)
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c ... athing.jpg
^ Unnatural lighting and editing, sure, but you can easily spot how saturated the shadows are.
... I just colourpicked the image and noticed that you didn't use white to highlight. The palette appears so dull because you only changed the saturation and darkness of a single hue (which is exactly what happens if you shade with black and white). I won't go into detail here because you can find a lot of tutorials on deviantArt on this, but hue switching is important.
If you have a warm light source, pick your lighter colour in a warmer hue and the darker ones in a cooler hue (e.g green: highlights would be yellow-ish, shadows blue-ish). You don't have to be too extreme, just a subtle switch will make it more vibrant and lively.

I'm looking forward to see more from you--your anatomy really looks good, and your people look so characteristic, it's really nice to look at!

- En.
Thanks a lot ^^ I think I'm gonna try this in my next works.

I'm not so happy with the texture either x) Clothes usually are my nemesis, so sometimes I try so hard to make them look okay that I forget about the skin...

Well I don't know if what I say is correct in english, but I agree with what you said ^^