Art Dumpage! Show your art ^^

Questions, skill improvement, and respectful critique involving art assets.
Wide Mouth Ink
Regular
Completed: None for now
Projects: Endless Halls
Tumblr: WideMouthInk
Deviantart: WideMouthInk

Re: Art Dumpage! Show your art ^^

#7291 Post by Wide Mouth Ink »

Gonna dump some of my recent stuff here.

Some sprites of the main character of my project, Endless Halls.

And some more miscellaneous stuff.

Harliqueen
Veteran
Completed: Diving in Deep (NaNo15) The Lady's Choice(NaNo16) The Crossroads(NaNo17)
Projects: The Curse of Creek Edge
Organization: Seraphinite
Tumblr: seraphinitegames
Deviantart: SeraphiniteGames
itch: seraphinite

#7292 Post by Harliqueen »

@Cirrocumulus-Cloud - You're really right. I used to think that using reference was like cheating, and my art was stagnant for a long time because of it. I was never happy, it was always off. But, since using reference, my art has improved so much quicker!

@Wide Mouth Ink - Wow, I love your main character sprite. Her expression, not only on her face but translating through her body, is really amazing!
Completed: Diving in Deep/The Lady's Choice/The Crossroads
Current WIP: The Curse of Creek Edge (NaNo2020)

Cirrocumulus-Cloud
Regular
Projects: Tag Dogs
Tumblr: cirrocumulus-cloud

#7293 Post by Cirrocumulus-Cloud »

Harliqueen wrote:@Cirrocumulus-Cloud - You're really right. I used to think that using reference was like cheating, and my art was stagnant for a long time because of it. I was never happy, it was always off. But, since using reference, my art has improved so much quicker!

@Wide Mouth Ink - Wow, I love your main character sprite. Her expression, not only on her face but translating through her body, is really amazing!
I had the same problem for a long, long time. I was trying so hard to get better without references that I didn't even understand that using references is how you GET better. Of course, you can improve your coloring methods through trial and error, but you cannot really improve your anatomy without looking at photos/studies/drawings of anatomically correct people. Nowadays I am creating my own references through DesignDoll, because I still lack the imagination to picture perfect poses in my head alone.

@Wide Mouth Ink: I have to agree with Harliqueen here, your sprite feels really unique and the poses really show the emotion of the character beautifully. The style reminds me of a certain game, but I sadly cannot remember which one. I especially love the colours that you used. Good job! =D

Harick
Veteran

#7294 Post by Harick »

@Cirrocumulus-Cloud Ooh, that sounds neat, I think I'll check it out. Thanks.

Didules
Veteran
Completed: Sophie, Midnight's Café, The Phantom of the Hospital
Projects: SchizoValentine
Organization: Hidden Masquerade
Tumblr: hidden-masquerade

#7295 Post by Didules »

Harick wrote:Critiques welcome.
Well, anyway, people already told a lot about it and gave the best advices XD the head may be too big (or the rest of the body isn't, it's up to you). Since he's a knight, maybe go for a muscular body type? However I have to say I really like his design (his haircut is really cool, I wish I had such ideas!), and the beginning of the shading isn't bad at all, just don't worry about being "frank" when you add shades, here they seem a little too "discreet". BUT! They make a cool texture feeling on the hair and the armor, so nice job! :)
(Yes all adjectives in " " aren't supposed to be used for such context, sorry 8'D )
Good luck!!

Oh, right:
Cirrocumulus-Cloud wrote:People need to learn that using references isn't a sin. Use a lot of them to learn the correct way of drawing. It is a lot easier to sharpen your skills with the help of resources and references.
BEST ADVICE EVER. Kudos to you, and thank you for saying it this clearly! :)

Cirrocumulus-Cloud
Regular
Projects: Tag Dogs
Tumblr: cirrocumulus-cloud

#7296 Post by Cirrocumulus-Cloud »

Didules wrote: Oh, right:
Cirrocumulus-Cloud wrote:People need to learn that using references isn't a sin. Use a lot of them to learn the correct way of drawing. It is a lot easier to sharpen your skills with the help of resources and references.
BEST ADVICE EVER. Kudos to you, and thank you for saying it this clearly! :)
Aww, thank you! I think part of the reason why most people are so scared to use references is tumblrs 'you are only a real artist if you X' shaming which also exists over at DeviantArt and art sites in general. So many people tend to overlook the fact that even tracing can help you improve - in fact that's what you mostly do as a child. As long as you don't claim to not use references and don't declare traced art as your own it can still be a lot helpful. I wish we would preach this more instead of the general "You have to be perfect!" mindset that a lot of young artists have in their mind. I only managed to put that thinking aside this year and my progress was massive.

deviltales
Regular

#7297 Post by deviltales »

W.I.P I'm doing for a school project. The skull was fun to draw ^^.
Attachments
im gac.jpg
A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only one.

CleverCat
Deviantart: CleverCat15

#7298 Post by CleverCat »

So since I've been a silent stalker of this site for awhile I figured I should finally post something. As Such for my first post, something I've been working on today.
Attachments
Fireflies and Night Skies WIP.jpg
Fireflies and Night Skies WIP.jpg (136.45 KiB) Viewed 1988 times

Zylinder
Veteran

#7299 Post by Zylinder »

Some school stuff! C:

JumpJump
Veteran
Projects: 9413
Organization: 2wo dollars

#7300 Post by JumpJump »

Zylinder wrote:Image

Some school stuff! C:
That's my kind'a playground. Just looking at it gives me a sensation of what it would be like to be there. Sends a little chill down my spine!

I, on the other hand was just seeing if a theory on how to achieve something would work. I think I did it?
robo cream eyes.jpg
"You are the master of understatement, chief. You had a foursome with the Elephant Man and a couple of foreign princesses. I'd head on out before the paparazzi arrive, if I were you." - Barry the time travelling sprout

Old and new, whatever you want. All is here.

deviltales
Regular

#7301 Post by deviltales »

Quick study after the beautiful Mia Wasikowska :) !
Attachments
study.png
A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only one.

HopefulRomantic
Tumblr: hopefulromanticwriter

#7302 Post by HopefulRomantic »

Zylinder wrote:Image

Some school stuff! C:

Woah! That's gorgeous! I love the colors, the lighting, the subtle shapes fading into the background. Nice.

Geckos
Veteran
Completed: Brilliant Shadows, Perceptions of the Dead, The Phantom Icecream Truck
Projects: Embers of Magic, Pale Spectrum, Perceptions of the Dead
Organization: Ithaqua Labs
Tumblr: geckosart
Deviantart: sitaart

#7303 Post by Geckos »

Screenie from a little WIP kinetic novel in the works.
Attachments
screenie_pirate.jpg
Image ImageImage

Auro-Cyanide
ssǝʇunoƆ ʇɹ∀
Completed: http://auro-cyanide.tumblr.com/visualnovels
Projects: Athena
Organization: Cyanide Tea
Tumblr: auro-cyanide
Deviantart: Auro-Cyanide

#7304 Post by Auro-Cyanide »

Hey look, a bunch of things I’m terrible at drawing like human perspective and bird wings -.-

I couldn’t concentrate on working on CGs, so I ended up sketching Ryouta from Hatoful Boyfriend instead. That game will forever hold a special place in my heart. I kind of feel bad drawing the human versions because it’s not their true versions, but giving birds expressions is a little… difficult.

Auro-Cyanide
ssǝʇunoƆ ʇɹ∀
Completed: http://auro-cyanide.tumblr.com/visualnovels
Projects: Athena
Organization: Cyanide Tea
Tumblr: auro-cyanide
Deviantart: Auro-Cyanide

#7305 Post by Auro-Cyanide »

Hey look, a bunch of things I’m terrible at drawing like human perspective and bird wings -.-

I couldn’t concentrate on working on CGs, so I ended up sketching Ryouta from Hatoful Boyfriend instead. That game will forever hold a special place in my heart. I kind of feel bad drawing the human versions because it’s not their true versions, but giving birds expressions is a little… difficult.