Art Dumpage! Show your art ^^

Questions, skill improvement, and respectful critique involving art assets.
Mirena
Regular
Completed: Vortex

Re: Art Dumpage! Show your art ^^

#646 Post by Mirena »

Wow.. Deji your coloring is so good.

I wish mine was better. =/ I can barely cel-shade and everything else I try turns out just... no.

I too would be curious to know how long you spent on those.

Hime
Veteran
Projects: Project Nattsu, Take Rena Home

#647 Post by Hime »

Whaa, that's some great work you've done, Deji *_* It's not just the colouring either, the lines and the anatomy/poses of those pics look so balanced... Really nice.

And I'm glad to see some more Winter Shard art from F.I.A, I love it. I've been missing that game actually, thinking if I should play it through for the second time. And (as I once mentioned in my blog) I wonder if I should do some new fanart of it, too... ^^ The previous pic that I did was so poor in every way.

Though I should go and make some more sketches for the Higurashi project first. ^^;

Oh and, now that I'm already posting, I'll link some pics that those who follow my blog have probably already seen but anyway:
Some new art is on it's way to completion as well.. Though I'm not sure if it's worksafe enough for this thread.

Deji
Cheer Idol; Not Great at Secret Identities
Projects: http://bit.ly/2lieZsA
Organization: Sakevisual, Apple Cider, Mystery Parfait
Tumblr: DejiNyucu
Deviantart: DejiNyucu

#648 Post by Deji »

DaFool wrote:Deji, how long did that sprite take? :D
And who are the writers for the two projects?
I...don't know anymore XD; I've been working on and off on that. I know the coloriung was around 2-3 hours. The lineart was probably around 1 hour (base+arm poses+expressions) and the base cleaning took me around 1 hour....
If i went for a more simpler coloring, it would have taken me a lot less, but I wanted something nifty X3;

And my writers are both friends of mine. Caramel Mokaccino is being written by a female friend who loves shoujo-ish stories, and Astre@ is being written by my best friend, who is also a film-maker student with a lot of talent for scripting. I can't write a thing to save my life, so I clinged to them until they accepted to write for me XD;...

The thing I've started to do lately, as in the two pics sown, was to make the lineart with an HB sharpened pencil, and then strenghten the lines with a mechanical pencil. Then I scan it and spend wuite some time cleaning the whole thing to make it look nice... in the end, that gives you a better "feel" than what you can get from a digitally inked lineart. You can ink with a nib pen or a fineliner as well, but I end up messing more with that than with the graphite ^^;;; You'll have to keep practicing to find a quicker way to do it =P

@Mirena:
thanks ^__^ I love coloring, so I experiment often on that department. I hate inking, thou... I wish I had an inker DX; The first pic was an assignment in which I had to imitate somebody else's coloring style, it was really fun =P I applied some of what I learnt on the sprite below.
The first pic is a fullbody pic, 11x17 inches at 300 dpi work... I worked on that on and off for 3 days. I did the lineart on saturday, cleaned it and started coloring on sunday and finished it by monday morning. Probably I spent around 7-10 hours? Maybe more... I always forget what time is it when i'm coloring ^^; Maybe next time I should actually look at the clock to see how much time do I spend.
Again, just practice to get better =D And imitating other people's coloring style is a nice excercise too =P

@Hime:
Thanks ^^ I saw those pics at your blog too =P They're really nice! I really like the way you do folds... I always fail at that T_T *steals skills* The hair on the second one looks really interesting! I like a lot the way you did each strand ^^

BTW, I alwas have a little time to slack off during the week... so if anybody wants me to color a pic for them just let me know =3 It'd be fun to make a collab =D And I could take some screenshots and make a mini tutorial thingie... it'd be a nice practice ^^

Now, off to work on assignments >_o... I'll show you once I'm done!
Tumblr | Twitter
Forever busy :')
When drawing something, anything, USE REFERENCES!! Use your Google-fu!
Don't trust your memory, and don't blindly trust what others teach you either.
Research, observation, analysis, experimentation and practice are the key! (:

lordcloudx
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: http://rd2k2-games.blogspot.com

#649 Post by lordcloudx »

Lotsa godly cg work here. :shock:

Well, here's the finished product phase 3, adding minor details: complete. I messed up on some parts but hopefully, the colors can camouflage that. heh! Besides, I always wanted to see a scene like this with Haruhi and Louise.
Attachments
lol! A flat-chested loli with pink hair. Perfect!
lol! A flat-chested loli with pink hair. Perfect!
How do you make your games? I see. Thank you for the prompt replies, but it is my considered opinion that you're doing it wrong inefficiently because I am a perfushenal professional. Do it my way this way and we can all ascend VN Nirvana together while allowing me to stroke my ego you will improve much faster. Also, please don't forget to thank me for this constructive critique or I will cry and bore you to death respond appropriately with a tl;dr rant discourse of epic adequately lengthy proportions. - Sarcasm Veiled in Euphemism: Secrets of Forum Civility by lordcloudx (Coming soon to an online ebook near you.)

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#650 Post by PyTom »

You left out the second panel.
Attachments
haruhilouise.jpg
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

Mirena
Regular
Completed: Vortex

#651 Post by Mirena »

A wip.. coloring practice.

Don't mind the shabby lineart, I didn't have anything nice to practce coloring on so.. I just drew something.. fast.
Attachments
wip-.jpg

F.I.A
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Winter Shard, EVE, Hyperion

#652 Post by F.I.A »

Hime wrote:And I'm glad to see some more Winter Shard art from F.I.A, I love it. I've been missing that game actually, thinking if I should play it through for the second time. And (as I once mentioned in my blog) I wonder if I should do some new fanart of it, too... ^^ The previous pic that I did was so poor in every way.
Well, It seems like I still not able to imitate a water/blood coloring right. Guess I got more to learn.

Nice progress going with Tera. The artwork is better than PN, which is good for me. Good luck working on it(And also that Rena's dating sim, right? I feel like taking her home.)

Thanks for being considerate. But for me, as long as the thought counts. But if you insist, sure.

[edit:Oh, I got a chuckle off that 4-koma.]

As for the next ... 4+1 hours work... motivated by endless "Kinjareta Asobi+Ryouiki Seishoujo+Baragoku Otome"... derived from....
Things to do...

Finish the "ROZEN MAIDEN" segment and edited it a bit. Forget Desu!... Lucy's personality closely resembles Suigintou.

Code: Select all

Lucy "Oh Eileen... I ask you... why?"
Lucy "Why has father abandoned me?"

## And will need the help of a native German speaker sooner or later
## since "Lucy" will be speaking "German" on this segment
## (with english subs below)
You made me do this, mugen. Fault in flooding my brain with too powerful inspiration.
Attachments
RenpyMaiden.jpg
Last edited by F.I.A on Fri Nov 30, 2007 10:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
「通りすがりのメーカだ。覚えとけ。」

----------
Winter shard
WIP: Hyperion(Trace unknown), ?????(Progressing)

Blue Lemma
Forum Founder
Completed: ToL, Shoujo Attack!, Lemma Ten
Projects: [RETIRED FROM FORUM ADMINISTRATION - CONTACT PYTOM WITH ISSUES]

#653 Post by Blue Lemma »

Hime: Wow, your art has noticeably improved since Project Nattsu 8) Cool!

(And yes you are a parody) :P
“Among those who dislike oppression are many who like to oppress.”
- Napoleon Bonaparte

I've retired from forum administration. I do not add people to the "adult" group, deactivate accounts, nor any other administrative task. Please direct admin/mod issues to PyTom or the other mods : )

lordcloudx
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: http://rd2k2-games.blogspot.com

#654 Post by lordcloudx »

FIA: All your artworks always have a unique consistent style. Kinda reminds me of old Chinese paintings.

PyTom: Good one. :lol:
Attachments
sorry for posting the same pic again. I just had to do this.
sorry for posting the same pic again. I just had to do this.
How do you make your games? I see. Thank you for the prompt replies, but it is my considered opinion that you're doing it wrong inefficiently because I am a perfushenal professional. Do it my way this way and we can all ascend VN Nirvana together while allowing me to stroke my ego you will improve much faster. Also, please don't forget to thank me for this constructive critique or I will cry and bore you to death respond appropriately with a tl;dr rant discourse of epic adequately lengthy proportions. - Sarcasm Veiled in Euphemism: Secrets of Forum Civility by lordcloudx (Coming soon to an online ebook near you.)

uluuu
Regular
Projects: Half Past Never

#655 Post by uluuu »

If you look at these drawings, you just might be able to see into what exactly I have been wasting my life on lately. :0
http://home.sailormoon.com/ayanamipuff/ ... aa_sig.png
http://home.sailormoon.com/ayanamipuff/art/nasketch.png

n9261andvari
Regular
Location: Otherside of the world, when you sleep I'm awake...

#656 Post by n9261andvari »

lordcloudx wrote:n9261andvari: Nice lighting effects. Did you do the lineart from pencils?
Thanks. (^_^) No, I didn't. I just opened Adobe Photoshop one day and started sketching on it with my tablet and then I decided to color it and tadaa~ that pic was born. Basically I've been doing a lot of oekaki/digital painting lately and I guess my game will also be in a similar form of artwork. I'm just too lazy to draw on paper and then scan, lol. Even this pic below is also drawn straight into Adobe Photoshop...I really love the layer function, helps when you make dire mistakes, lol.
Attachments
Datemonochrome.png

JQuartz
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: 0 completed game. Still haven't made any meaningfully completed games...

#657 Post by JQuartz »

n9261andvari wrote:I'm just too lazy to draw on paper and then scan, lol.
I thought that method was for people without tablets. I mean why do you want to sketch on paper and scan it when you can just sketch it onto the screen straight away?

(Better put something up otherwise I'll be off topic)
Attachments
SAVE0052.PNG
I suspect somebody is stealing my internet identity so don't believe everything I tell you via messages. I don't post or send messages anymore so don't believe anything I tell you via messages or posts.

Vatina
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Blue Rose, AO: Broken Memories, My Eternal Rival, Dust
Projects: AO: Fallen Star
Organization: White Cat
IRC Nick: Vatina
Tumblr: vatinyan
Deviantart: Vatina
itch: whitecat

#658 Post by Vatina »

JQuartz wrote: I thought that method was for people without tablets. I mean why do you want to sketch on paper and scan it when you can just sketch it onto the screen straight away?
For me at least, it's because I simply can't draw with a tablet. I can use it to colour and everything, but when drawing I just can't control it. I don't know why there is such a big difference, since I'm doing the same as when drawing by hand.... the traditional way works best for me ^^; (Even if the scanning still annoys me :P)

(Argh, now I'm off-topic to.....)

Jake
Support Hero

#659 Post by Jake »

Vatina wrote: For me at least, it's because I simply can't draw with a tablet. I can use it to colour and everything, but when drawing I just can't control it. I don't know why there is such a big difference, since I'm doing the same as when drawing by hand.... the traditional way works best for me ^^; (Even if the scanning still annoys me :P)
I certainly find it harder to draw with a tablet than on paper. The disconnect between stylus and line doesn't help - with paper, you're making the mark where you want it, with a tablet you're making the mark somewhere different on a surface that's at a different angle and sometimes rotation, and you essentially have to do three-dimensional spatial transforms in your head to get the line to go where you want it.
Which isn't incredibly hard, since the human brain's pretty good at that kind of thing, but it makes it harder than a medium where you can see the marks exactly where you make them.

Another reason to use traditional media is that you simply get a different line out of a pencil to that which you get out of a pencil tool in OpenCanvas or Painter. Both of those packages are pretty good at emulating real life media in some ways or other, but they both have differences.
Server error: user 'Jake' not found

Ren

#660 Post by Ren »

Weird, for me it's easier with a tabletO_OThe fact that my hand is not on the way and that there's just a smal cursor between my eyes and the lines is somehow relaxing.That and I keep checking fr the Ctrl+Del keys on thin air when I draw normally...