Art Dumpage! Show your art ^^

Questions, skill improvement, and respectful critique involving art assets.
zankizuna
Veteran
Completed: Monochrome Valentine
Projects: Softwar
Deviantart: raseru09
itch: ZanKizuna

Re: Art Dumpage! Show your art ^^

#7531 Post by zankizuna »

Woooow!! That's something I haven't done! Nice work, Hoyuu!

Tempus
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Ladykiller in a Bind
Projects: StoryDevs
Tumblr: jakebowkett
Deviantart: jakebowkett
Github: jakebowkett

#7532 Post by Tempus »

@Hoyuu: nice sketches! I feel like a sketched butt is safe for work.

---

Finally finished working on this. Technically it's not done but I'm exhausted so I give up. Oh, and it's for a background! Which I'll share when the render is done. The bike is a Harley Iron 883 2016 model. Or it sort of is. I took liberties because I didn't have the best references and I have limited time.
StoryDevs — easy-to-search profiles for VN devs (under construction!)

zurvon

#7533 Post by zurvon »

Hey guys, new to this forum and this is my first post here.

Basically, for the past several month I have been working in a team of three people working on a VN. There is only one artist as part of the team tho, who does everything art related basically. She has been awesome so far, especially when it comes to background (at least the quality satisfies me), but now that we moved on to the characters, something feels off about them, and I'm not even sure how to express this. So I'm looking for feedback.
The quality of her art is good, so not complaining about that, but I'm looking for a feedback style-wise. This is the first sketch of hers and of our first character (neither protagonist nor antagonist).

To me it just feels like the characters lack 'volume', 'liveliness' and look 'too 2d'. Please let me know what you think of art, and also if you agree with my comments, let me know how can I express more specifically which parts she should fix for the style to suit the VN more.

Disclosure: The artist isn't very familiar with anime/manga/visual novels, so this might be part of the issue. Also, in case this matters, the VN is going be in genres of fantasy, action, detective, mystery, city fantasy, supernatural, and a small touch of religion/philosophy.

Couldn't attach images, so here are links of the images on imgur, sorry for inconvenience (got this error message: It was not possible to determine the dimensions of the image).
Black-white

Coloured version

Background for contrast

Aviala
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Your Royal Gayness, Love Bug, Lovingly Evil
Organization: Lizard Hazard Games
Tumblr: lizardhazardgames
itch: aviala

#7534 Post by Aviala »

Hey there, Zurvon!

The art is pretty cool but I do see what you mean! I'm not sure if it's an issue with two-dimensionality.... But I think what might help is to ask your artist to try to vary lineart width more. If all the lines are approximately of the same thickness, it doesn't look very lively. It becomes even more apparent with the coloured versions - I think the b&w lineart looks okay on it's own, but something goes wrong with the coloured versions. One part of it is those very white airbrushed highlights on the capes and leggings - that's just not how light reacts to cloth. In my experience, an airbrush is rarely a good choice as a primary tool for painting. Your artist seems way more comfortable with flat colours like in the backgrounds, so maybe she should stick to that with the characters as well - the style would be more unified that way. I know you'd like more 3D -style but I'm not sure your artist is ready to change her style in that direction without doing lighting studies and practising first. I hope I don't sound harsh - I think your artist is very talented! It's just that we all have areas in our art that need a bit of practise.

The choices of colour in the characters overall are a bit baffling. The backgrounds have a very nice colour harmony - they all go together very well, but in the character art the harsh, bright yellows are combined with a bit more desaturated colours which doesn't work very well in this case. If your artist is having trouble with combining colours, she could take a look at some websites that offer ready-made colour palettes likes this one: http://www.color-hex.com/color-palettes/popular.php

Summarised:
-Varying line width
-Consider flat colours
-Colour palettes - do the colours match?

I hope this helped at least a little bit!

Tempus
Miko-Class Veteran

#7535 Post by Tempus »

And this is the BG the motorbike was for. The BG itself is another for Ladykiller in a Bind which is gonna come out Sept 23rd! Also, the motorbike will reappear in another BG.

AllegroDiRossi
Regular
Tumblr: daroross
Deviantart: daroross

#7536 Post by AllegroDiRossi »

I know this has a lot of issues, but I'm trying to get back into drawing after a few years and want to put it out there.
Attachments
Unknown.jpeg
Live Life Heroically

SinSisters
Regular
Completed: The Spanish Privateer
Projects: The Spanish Privateer
Tumblr: sinsisters
itch: sinsisters

#7537 Post by SinSisters »

Tempus wrote:And this is the BG the motorbike was for. The BG itself is another for Ladykiller in a Bind which is gonna come out Sept 23rd! Also, the motorbike will reappear in another BG.
*looks up Ladykiller in a Bind* wait a second... Christine Love? Art by Raide? AND you're making backgrounds for it? :o *immediately subscribes*

daisychainlinks

#7538 Post by daisychainlinks »

I drew this Clay Terran for my good friend's birthday and I quite like the colours I guess~
clay.png
Also I may as well dump the full version of my avatar here. She's one of my oldest OCs and I use her to represent myself sometimes!
rose.png

Tempus
Miko-Class Veteran

#7539 Post by Tempus »

SinSisters wrote:*looks up Ladykiller in a Bind* wait a second... Christine Love? Art by Raide? AND you're making backgrounds for it? :o *immediately subscribes*
Haha, thanks! Also, I haven't made the majority of the backgrounds for Ladykiller — a lot of nice BGs have been made by Owen Carson AKA owen-c (he has a really nice gallery!). I have a folder on my dA for Ladykiller stuff; anything not in it was probably made by him.

timepatches
Regular
Completed: When Aster Falls; Were|House; DemiDato: Monster Dating Show; Grand-Nya
Projects: The Bat-Chelor
Organization: Sad Ghost Studios
Tumblr: sadghoststudios
itch: Sad Ghost Studios

#7540 Post by timepatches »

daisychainlinks wrote:I drew this Clay Terran for my good friend's birthday and I quite like the colours I guess~
snip.png
Also I may as well dump the full version of my avatar here. She's one of my oldest OCs and I use her to represent myself sometimes!
snoop.png
I absolutely adore your artstyle! (and your OC's tiny little fang is super cute ^^ )

daisychainlinks

#7541 Post by daisychainlinks »

timepatches wrote:I absolutely adore your artstyle! (and your OC's tiny little fang is super cute ^^ )
Thank you so much, it really means a lot to me! It makes me happy when others find my art and OCs cute (although one day I'd like to be able to do more "serious" looking art as well as cute stuff ;0; ).

Sayuui
Regular
Completed: Refraction, I want to fly
Projects: Seraphim, Lucid Dreamer
IRC Nick: Sayuui
Tumblr: Sayuui

#7542 Post by Sayuui »

I'd like to show you all my last finished drawing and take the opportunity to tellyou guys that both my VN and my normal commissions are open!
This is where you see my prices. Thank you for the opportunity!
Freelance anime artist. Find me on
Recruitment thread
Twitter
Art portfolio
Instagram
Business inquiries: sayuuiart@gmail.com

Didules
Veteran
Completed: Sophie, Midnight's Café, The Phantom of the Hospital
Projects: SchizoValentine
Organization: Hidden Masquerade
Tumblr: hidden-masquerade

#7543 Post by Didules »

I've been doing a lot of work without feedback lately, so here goes the dump :D
What.jpg
Random things on CSP. Might use some of those on T-shirts for sprites... They might as well be useful.
WIP.jpg
Banner 2.jpg
And some random art for a solo-game that may never happen since I'm always unhappy with my current style :lol: I have 5 sprites done though ( ̄___ ̄)ゞ

jtsketch
Tumblr: jtsketch
Deviantart: jtsketch

#7544 Post by jtsketch »

A wip I'm working on for a commission work I want to show!

Expressions:
1 - Neutral: Image
2 - Happy: Image

3 - Sad: Image

4 - Angry: Image

5 - Surprise: Image

6 - Distressed: Image

7 - Lustful: Image

FULL BODY:

Karamelow
Veteran
Projects: Fujiwara BitterSweet
Organization: Magic Bench/Karamelow

#7545 Post by Karamelow »

Just passing by to show you my latest work. This is Hotaka, one of the characters from the current project of AfterThought Studios. I'm in charge of the sprites and I really enjoying working on their characters ^^

(this version of Hotaka is the "almost finish version")