Art Dumpage! Show your art ^^

Questions, skill improvement, and respectful critique involving art assets.
RidleyWright
Regular
Projects: Blue Moon

Re: Art Dumpage! Show your art ^^

#1006 Post by RidleyWright »

Gwah, those are pretty good @_@. I should have shame, but I need some help and feedback from someone.

If somebody could be as nice as say what they like (ahah, maybe that's not possible) and dislike. Are the proportions to off? Chara design sucks? ;_;

Halp.

And I'm the artist of my project. Will things really be ok, kana? kana~?

akemicchi
Veteran
Projects: Magicians of Delphine, Panaderia: Ensaimada, SweetTooth!, XOXO Droplets
Deviantart: littlebabyshoes

#1007 Post by akemicchi »

Wahh... everyone has posted so many nice drawings. x3 A few comments :

renkenjutsu: I love the shading on both your drawings. It's sketchy; in a really nice, clean way. <3

Deji: omg, it's so colorful! xD! She reminds me of fruit. I love all those colors together.

Guessmyname: I really like the special effects of the gun in the first picture. <3 The backgrounds of ruins are really nice. xD I noticed that many of the people you've drawn have legs that bend a little awkwardly, though.

Vatina: I love how it's so dynamic. And, I agree-- their costumes are great. <33333

And Ridley~! Hi hi! I'll help critique, then, if it's okay... ><;;
The face is good, but not aligned. It's a little lopsided; one eye is higher than the other, and the lips are gravitating to one side. Also, the head isn't in the right position in accordance to the neck.

I think the biggest issue I have is her hair-- specifically at the top of her head. It really distracts me because one side is more 'foofy' than the other and it looks unbalanced. ^^;;; I don't like the dip. It's not consistent with the hair on the back of her neck, which seems straight and less 'foofy' than the bangs.

A good way to check if general proportions are all right is to flip the image horizontally. You'll see things you haven't spotted before. ^^

Hmm... As for design... I can't really comment, since it's really not up to me or anything. 8D; I think if YOU don't think the character design fits the theme of your game (like, if it's fantasy, sci-fi, or present-time), then it probably doesn't fit. ^^ I think it looks fine, though. Maybe a little design on the tanktop would be nice?

RidleyWright
Regular

#1008 Post by RidleyWright »

Ahah, oh wow, so many things went wrong. Well, that's what I get for not being an art student. I hope you don't partially loose your eyesight thanks to that draw. xD

But really, I appreciate your advice and I'll try again and follow your advice (I didn't quite like the hair too, I guess I'll go with a shorter hair after all). And yeah, I do admit that the tanktop must look very flat, I should do something there (I'm a terrible designer though).

Thanks again.

JFate

#1009 Post by JFate »

RidleyWright wrote:Gwah, those are pretty good @_@. I should have shame, but I need some help and feedback from someone.

If somebody could be as nice as say what they like (ahah, maybe that's not possible) and dislike. Are the proportions to off? Chara design sucks? ;_;

Halp.

And I'm the artist of my project. Will things really be ok, kana? kana~?

Hmm actually it's not bad though her left arm is a bit big and, okay it's unclear to me, but her left hip is also curvier than the right. But hey it's cool^^.

On a side note my portfolio's on my sig^^.

RidleyWright
Regular

#1010 Post by RidleyWright »

Thanks. I looked into your link and surprise - it was Lyn, my fav character from Fire Emblem. Well, at least it looks like her, so I hope I'm not mistaken. :P

monele
Lemma-Class Veteran

#1011 Post by monele »

Ridley : I'd add that the hips are too thin/narrow. Usually they're closer to shoulder width. And I agree with JFate about the "curviness". The curve that goes from her waist down to her knee (unseen here) should be... well... one curve. The way it curves for her left hip, you'd have to make a new curve for her thigh. Kinda like a "3" while it should be more like ")".

RidleyWright
Regular

#1012 Post by RidleyWright »

If I understood correctly, in the picture I should have expanded the hip line a bit more before starting going "inside" again towards the knee. Is that it? And yeah, her left hip is not symetrical with her right hip. Happens to me a lot. Must... train... moar... *puts himself under a cascade of freezing water*

Deji
Cheer Idol; Not Great at Secret Identities
Projects: http://bit.ly/2lieZsA
Organization: Sakevisual, Apple Cider, Mystery Parfait
Tumblr: DejiNyucu
Deviantart: DejiNyucu

#1013 Post by Deji »

Thanks guys for the nice comments on my Alicia ^^

@ Ridley: Better than words, it's an image! =D
somegirlredline.jpg
It's not symmetrical nor perfect, but I think it's clear enough? ^^;;;

The most important thing when drawing is structure! Think of bones and muscles, and basic geometric shapes that form the body.
To draw your structure and to determine where sould be each part of yppur drawing, especially when drawing people facing forward, it's always useful to draw some lines as guides.
After you have your basic structure, you can draw over it and it'd end up looking good and more proportioned ^___^

if you're drawing on paper, you can draw the structure very light or with a colored pencil. You can also trace the final lineart in a new piece of paper using a lightbox/table or a window =P I do that all the time X3
Tumblr | Twitter
Forever busy :')
When drawing something, anything, USE REFERENCES!! Use your Google-fu!
Don't trust your memory, and don't blindly trust what others teach you either.
Research, observation, analysis, experimentation and practice are the key! (:

RidleyWright
Regular

#1014 Post by RidleyWright »

Oh... wow @_@. Thank you so very much. I'll try not to have wasted your time and fully capitalise with your advice.

And may I ask how did you manage to make the lines so smooth on the two drawings from the right? A tablet, maybe?

Deji
Cheer Idol; Not Great at Secret Identities
Projects: http://bit.ly/2lieZsA
Organization: Sakevisual, Apple Cider, Mystery Parfait
Tumblr: DejiNyucu
Deviantart: DejiNyucu

#1015 Post by Deji »

RidleyWright wrote:Oh... wow @_@. Thank you so very much. I'll try not to have wasted your time and fully capitalise with your advice.

And may I ask how did you manage to make the lines so smooth on the two drawings from the right? A tablet, maybe?
yup, I drew everything with a tablet ^^ It's quicker and less messy than drawing by hand and then scanning ^^;
Tumblr | Twitter
Forever busy :')
When drawing something, anything, USE REFERENCES!! Use your Google-fu!
Don't trust your memory, and don't blindly trust what others teach you either.
Research, observation, analysis, experimentation and practice are the key! (:

monele
Lemma-Class Veteran

#1016 Post by monele »

Deji, I think I'll start calling you "sensei" ^_^

Sakurazaki
Veteran
Projects: Aquae ~CCW~, Consonance

#1017 Post by Sakurazaki »

I got bored. -_-' The hair is crap right now because my photoshop was acting weird.
I realize the colors might be screwed up too, but my screen is somewhat bright D:
ARC I - Summer Lights: Image
ARC II - Ocean Tide: Image

JFate

#1018 Post by JFate »

RidleyWright wrote:Thanks. I looked into your link and surprise - it was Lyn, my fav character from Fire Emblem. Well, at least it looks like her, so I hope I'm not mistaken. :P
That's right^^! Though hmmm.... can someone tell me how to post images along with the messages? I'm a newbie ^^; .

Jake
Support Hero

#1019 Post by Jake »

JFate wrote:can someone tell me how to post images along with the messages? I'm a newbie ^^; .
There are two options. Either use 'img' tags, like this:

Code: Select all

[img]http://url.to/your/image.jpg[/img]
Or if you look underneath the 'Post a Reply' box there's a bit where it says 'Upload Attachment' - click the 'choose' button in there, pick your image, give it a comment and hit 'add the file'. Once the upload window closes, submit the post and it'll have your image attached to it.

(Note that a lot of websites - like DeviantArt, for example - don't like you including the images from their site in forum posts and the like, and so if you use the 'img' tag option, then it may show up for you when you preview but not be viewable by anyone else. Attaching files is always safe, though, 'cause it uploads the files to the forum itself.)

Since I'm posting in this thread anyway, here's something I drew earlier. ;-)
Server error: user 'Jake' not found

JFate

#1020 Post by JFate »

Jake wrote:
JFate wrote:can someone tell me how to post images along with the messages? I'm a newbie ^^; .
There are two options. Either use 'img' tags, like this:

Code: Select all

[img]http://url.to/your/image.jpg[/img]
Or if you look underneath the 'Post a Reply' box there's a bit where it says 'Upload Attachment' - click the 'choose' button in there, pick your image, give it a comment and hit 'add the file'. Once the upload window closes, submit the post and it'll have your image attached to it.

(Note that a lot of websites - like DeviantArt, for example - don't like you including the images from their site in forum posts and the like, and so if you use the 'img' tag option, then it may show up for you when you preview but not be viewable by anyone else. Attaching files is always safe, though, 'cause it uploads the files to the forum itself.)

Thanks man, though...Hmmm....all I've been doing is fanart, I think I better get back on the OC wagon.