Art Dumpage! Show your art ^^

Questions, skill improvement, and respectful critique involving art assets.
Helyees
Regular
Projects: Panzer Hearts

Re: Art Dumpage! Show your art ^^

#7741 Post by Helyees »

Thank you Fleet and Pikabyunn! Your insights a golden! :D
You can follow the progress at:

Tempus
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Ladykiller in a Bind
Projects: StoryDevs
Tumblr: jakebowkett
Deviantart: jakebowkett
Github: jakebowkett

#7742 Post by Tempus »

Forgot to share this here. There's a breakdown of this piece on my ArtStation which includes all the various passes I rendered for it + close-up isolated renders of objects from the scene. Can't be bothered scaling all of them to 800px wide lol. Commissioned by Lupiesoft for The Stargazers (they have a Kickstarter for it here)

StoryDevs — easy-to-search profiles for VN devs (under construction!)

King-sama
Veteran
Deviantart: Treepastry

#7743 Post by King-sama »

Tempus wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2017 8:13 am Forgot to share this here. There's a breakdown of this piece on my ArtStation which includes all the various passes I rendered for it + close-up isolated renders of objects from the scene. Can't be bothered scaling all of them to 800px wide lol. Commissioned by Lupiesoft for The Stargazers (they have a Kickstarter for it here)

Nice, I like your backgrounds with lines more o: what made you consider adding it?
Edit: ...why a camera in a bedroom?

Tempus
Miko-Class Veteran

#7744 Post by Tempus »

King-sama wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2017 3:15 am Nice, I like your backgrounds with lines more o: what made you consider adding it?
Thanks! I went with lineart for a few reasons. Firstly, it compliments the cel-shading and I wanted a more drawn/painted look to match the existing work for the VN. Second, it's easier to separate forms with lines than with value. If a background is complex and has no lineart it can be time-consuming to make it easy to read and look 'right'. And thirdly, I'm just sick of making BGs that look the same lol.

As for the camera... there's no real reason behind that. It wasn't in the brief, I just wanted something on the ceiling to make it look interesting. The owner of the room is a tech junkie so my head canon is that they're paranoid about people touching their stuff and devised a technological solution to address that anxiety.

King-sama
Veteran
Deviantart: Treepastry

#7745 Post by King-sama »

Tempus wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:47 pm
King-sama wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2017 3:15 am Nice, I like your backgrounds with lines more o: what made you consider adding it?
Thanks! I went with lineart for a few reasons. Firstly, it compliments the cel-shading and I wanted a more drawn/painted look to match the existing work for the VN. Second, it's easier to separate forms with lines than with value. If a background is complex and has no lineart it can be time-consuming to make it easy to read and look 'right'. And thirdly, I'm just sick of making BGs that look the same lol.

As for the camera... there's no real reason behind that. It wasn't in the brief, I just wanted something on the ceiling to make it look interesting. The owner of the room is a tech junkie so my head canon is that they're paranoid about people touching their stuff and devised a technological solution to address that anxiety.
That was interesting (: hope you will make more of these sorts of backgrounds

Remayre

#7746 Post by Remayre »

Tempus wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2017 8:13 am Forgot to share this here. There's a breakdown of this piece on my ArtStation which includes all the various passes I rendered for it + close-up isolated renders of objects from the scene. Can't be bothered scaling all of them to 800px wide lol. Commissioned by Lupiesoft for The Stargazers (they have a Kickstarter for it here)
I just want to cut open a hole in the back of your head and suck out all your skills. Seriously, teach me senpai.

Harick
Veteran

#7747 Post by Harick »

Some stuff I did real quick just to see how fast I'm able to make something like this, which was faster than I thougt I would be able to tbh
Attachments
reptilsfw.png
skleletlen.png

Remayre

#7748 Post by Remayre »

Not really VN related, but could possibly be in the future. I illustrated a scene from my husband's story (It's super tough to get out of him. He doesn't talk about it to anyone by me, and he refuses to write it down, even though it's a very well thought out storyline) of two of the main characters, Digit and a female dwarf who is yet to be named. I decided I wanted to try to mimic a screencap of a cartoon or anime, and I'm pretty pleased with it.

morinoir
Regular
itch: blackpepper

#7749 Post by morinoir »

It's the last week to vote our heroine, Rosette to win this year's Valiant Force Character Design Contest! Please support us by voting our entry here :
http://contest.playvaliantforce.com/gal ... ff1473f042

You can also find the hi-res picture on the link above. Thank you so much for viewing! <3

LeonDaydreamer
Veteran
Projects: A Near Dawn, Put A Sock In It!, Ghosts Are Good Hosts

#7750 Post by LeonDaydreamer »

Wow, that's beautiful Morinoir! :)

This is Sam running in my psychological (yet humorous) thriller A Near Dawn - I just released the Prologue  :)

ImageImageImageImage

Tempus
Miko-Class Veteran

#7751 Post by Tempus »

Remayre wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:54 amI just want to cut open a hole in the back of your head and suck out all your skills. Seriously, teach me senpai.
But I need my head!!! (At some point I'll probably do an updating rundown of how I make my BGs... just not enough time/money atm.)

---

Also, I've attached a couple of BGs I'm currently working on.
Attachments
castle_kitchen_01_w.jpg
lower_road_03_w.jpg

dFlow

#7752 Post by dFlow »

Hi, I'm new-ish here. I envy you all beautiful background arters, I suck at them. Anyway, here's a dark elf I thought turned out decently, after more hours than I want to admit. Made in Clip Studio Paint.

One day she may be in my VN, if I ever get good and fast enough at art, but for now, I'd love criticism, the harsher, the better, and suggestions for improvement. The eyes bother myself personally the most, but I can't really put a finger on why, beyond 'too bright'. Maybe they'd look better narrower. Also the top fabric and the chest skin don't really seem to 'meet' perfectly to my eye.
Attachments
_darkelf.png

Aviala
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Your Royal Gayness, Love Bug, Lovingly Evil
Organization: Lizard Hazard Games
Tumblr: lizardhazardgames
itch: aviala

#7753 Post by Aviala »

dFlow wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2017 7:54 am Hi, I'm new-ish here. I envy you all beautiful background arters, I suck at them. Anyway, here's a dark elf I thought turned out decently, after more hours than I want to admit. Made in Clip Studio Paint.

One day she may be in my VN, if I ever get good and fast enough at art, but for now, I'd love criticism, the harsher, the better, and suggestions for improvement. The eyes bother myself personally the most, but I can't really put a finger on why, beyond 'too bright'. Maybe they'd look better narrower. Also the top fabric and the chest skin don't really seem to 'meet' perfectly to my eye.
Hey there!

The anatomy of the character's body works really well, but you need to work on your colouring and drawing faces and hair. The head doesn't seem to match the body. It almost looks as if you traced the body or used a base - or maybe you just have a really good grasp of anatomy but you haven't practised faces as much? The body is somewhat realistic, and the face is very simplified and anime-ish. The amount of detail on the face has to match the care you've put into drawing the body. The hair is at an odd angle - if the character is looking toward the viewer, their hair should match the front-facing angle of the head, but instead the hair looks like it belongs to someone who is looking to the right, if that makes sense to you?

You need to decide: If the character is looking towards the viewer, the hair should usually be even on both sides (unless the character has an uneven haircut), or if you want to have the hair "at an angle" to the right like it is now, the character should also be looking to the right. Think about it like this: If the character is looking to the front, the distance from each eye to the hair on the sides should be the same. Right now the left eye is almost covered, while the right eye is pretty far away from the hair.

If it's windy, the hair of course reacts to that, but it doesn't seem like that's happening here.
I made a redline drawing/ tutorial pointing out your mistakes and some suggestions on how to fix them.

You also need to practise colouring. For example, it's okay to indicate the nose of an anime character with just a dot if you're going for flat colours and very stylized pure "anime" style, but since you're using a very painterly colouring technique, you need to paint in the nose properly. Right now it almost looks like she has no nose at all.

If you pick a style and stick with it, your art is gonna be great :D Just make a choice: If you want to draw extremely simplified faces, use a flat colouring style with cell shading, but if you want to continue painting, you need to find a way to mix anime and realism.

Sakimichan on deviantart does painted pieces with anime vibes, maybe you can look at her stuff as a reference for painting faces.
https://sakimichan.deviantart.com/

Here's another artist who paints, his characters are often even more anime-styled than sakimichans:
https://knkl.deviantart.com/

Good luck! :)
Attachments
redline.png

Harick
Veteran

#7754 Post by Harick »

I'm working on the clothes of a story I'm working on and I got an idea that I kinda like. So the story is set in an ice age and the idea is that people use a skin thight outfit that is pretty warm but since it's skin thight people can use other clothes on top of it which lead it to be the standard outfit in the setting. This is just showing different ways people can use it, though the character I used wouldn't really wear these kinda clothes but whatever
Attachments
clotrh5.png

Zylinder
Veteran

#7755 Post by Zylinder »

I lost files for my client due to a sketchup mishap, so I had to assuage my sadness with a painting. I guess I'll keep this one for when I need to peddle my wares for commissions ;_;

back to the mill I gooo