Art Dumpage! Show your art ^^

Questions, skill improvement, and respectful critique involving art assets.
Coatl
Regular
Projects: Working Title (If I realese the Alpha before I give out a title I'll ask for opinions)

Re: Art Dumpage! Show your art ^^

#2161 Post by Coatl »

yeah can someone give me critique?
some of it is still in the beginning phases
Attachments
Harlot002.jpg
faces.jpg
halloween011.jpg

JinzouTamashii
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: E-mail me if you wanna rock the planet

#2162 Post by JinzouTamashii »

Picture worth a thousand words, yadda yadda...

You gotta tighten up the lines and flow of the pose and draw using basic shapes to give everything form. After that, fuction. Form follows function.

You want attitude? Tilt her head. Puff out that chest. Make her stand firmly planted, don't have it looking for she's falling off to the side there.

The head is really, really large even for a 5/6 head toon figure. (Darn, I keep on making that arm coming down too long or the arm on the hip too short... if you use this draft to redraw your sketch, fix it please.)
Attachments
reddraft.png
Don't worry, we can get through it together. I didn't forget about you! I just got overwhelmed.
https://cherylitou.wordpress.com

JinzouTamashii
Eileen-Class Veteran

#2163 Post by JinzouTamashii »

Oh, looking at my sketch again, it's not dynamic—it's almost laconic.
bridgeman.JPG
Here's a dynamic "S" shape example. Not mine.
Don't worry, we can get through it together. I didn't forget about you! I just got overwhelmed.

Tsundere Lightning
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: And plenty of them!

#2164 Post by Tsundere Lightning »

Oh god, this old picture of Gabriel Winter is just... urgh. Color in the face is wrong, she apparently has evolved beyond the need for organs with a waist that thin...
It was an experiment and I like her expression, pose, hair and the color/texture of her outfit and the armor, but I really need to improve this.
She's sun and rain: She's fire and ice. A little crazy, but it's nice.
Bliss Stage: Love is your weapon! A sci-fi visual novel about child soldiers coming of age. Kickstarter prerelease here. WIP thread here. Original tabletop game by Ben Lehman here. Tumblr here.

JinzouTamashii
Eileen-Class Veteran

#2165 Post by JinzouTamashii »

I'm working on several pics at the the moment because I took this week to try to "level up" my art and re-learn some of my programs again... this is most definitely a work in progress. I used the rule of thirds for composition but I need something going on in that lower righthand corner and that's what I'm going to do when I get home if my PC didn't overheat and shut down again.

The theme of this one is the last kind of advanced robot and this plant still around ("The Last of Their Kind")
Attachments
thumb_1979036.gif
thumb_1979036.gif (14.19 KiB) Viewed 1974 times
Last_of_their_Kind__WIP_by_JinzouTamashii.jpg

qq
Regular
Projects: Strings of Fate- BG artist

#2166 Post by qq »

A recent sketch. Feel free to comment.
Attachments
kiss.jpg
Frog and Kisses Studio
Please visit my Art Blog

Tsundere Lightning
Miko-Class Veteran

#2167 Post by Tsundere Lightning »

JinzouTamashii wrote:I'm working on several pics at the the moment because I took this week to try to "level up" my art and re-learn some of my programs again... this is most definitely a work in progress. I used the rule of thirds for composition but I need something going on in that lower righthand corner and that's what I'm going to do when I get home if my PC didn't overheat and shut down again.

The theme of this one is the last kind of advanced robot and this plant still around ("The Last of Their Kind")
The composition is nice, and the models are good, but that texturing makes it look like it's made of redwood... and that robot falls right smack into the Uncanny Valley. I would honestly make it LESS realistic, unless the goal is to make it creepy.
Bliss Stage: Love is your weapon! A sci-fi visual novel about child soldiers coming of age. Kickstarter prerelease here. WIP thread here. Original tabletop game by Ben Lehman here. Tumblr here.

JinzouTamashii
Eileen-Class Veteran

#2168 Post by JinzouTamashii »

Tsundere Lightning wrote:that texturing makes it look like it's made of redwood...
Thank you, that's what I was going for! I didn't want a purely metal look but something like corroded metal, glass, and wooden-alloy (or coating). Kind of to go with the plant and vines I'm going to add in. I wanted this image of the land that man has ruined and his creation which inherits the Earth and swear to protect it.

I eventually want to tangle wires and vines and roots and moss and lichen altogether.

Do you really think the face is so bad?

I'm not sure what I would change. I could remove the eyes and add in something abstract, I suppose. Like maybe knots of wood. I was already thinking of working that organically into the texture, anyway.

I also rendered out another part today to fill up the empty space to the right.
Attachments
spirals.JPG
facedetails.jpg

Tsundere Lightning
Miko-Class Veteran

#2169 Post by Tsundere Lightning »

It's mainly the eye, yeah. Replace it with something more iconic and it should be fine.

Okay, just wanted to make sure that was intentional; most robot designs are plastic and metallic, so that struck me as odd, not deliberate.

JinzouTamashii
Eileen-Class Veteran

#2170 Post by JinzouTamashii »

I thought it was interesting you could tell it was wood-like even from the lowres WIP pic and the thumb... I guess texture really is very important in CG work, just like conceptart.org said.

Do you find this kind of eye interesting? It certainly...... draws attention.

http://www.iwatchstuff.com/2008/07/11/d ... -gort-.jpg

JinzouTamashii
Eileen-Class Veteran

#2171 Post by JinzouTamashii »

Did a painting of some pigeons using a ref as a study to learn a new program, ArtRage.
Attachments
pidgeon_bath_by_Raepunsel.jpg
pigeons.jpg

sake-bento
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: http://sakevisual.com/games.html
Projects: Every Sunrise, Shinsei
Organization: sakevisual
Tumblr: sakevisual
Deviantart: sakevisual
itch: sakevisual

#2172 Post by sake-bento »

Not sure what I'm even going to do with this, but here's a digital ink I did of an old character of mine. Her name is Cuprum, if it helps. (Helps what? I don't know.)
Attachments
Cuprum
Cuprum

JinzouTamashii
Eileen-Class Veteran

#2173 Post by JinzouTamashii »

Overall, it's pretty good. Could use some help in face symmetry and in the shoulder, maybe the hips could be more curvy if that's really a girl.

mrsulu
Regular
Completed: Lady Sugarplum's Bad Day

#2174 Post by mrsulu »

sake-bento wrote:Not sure what I'm even going to do with this, but here's a digital ink I did of an old character of mine. Her name is Cuprum, if it helps. (Helps what? I don't know.)
I kind of like it but it needs more. I agree it could be more symmetrical, but I really feel like it's too tight. I can feel all the time you spent on it. Maybe loosen up with some sketches first until you find smooth curves that will bring it to life? Push the pose out to exaggerate it.

JinzouTamashii
Eileen-Class Veteran

#2175 Post by JinzouTamashii »

Wait... I think I have something like this from the back... ?

Well, not exactly.

It's not by me, but yours made me think of it so that might count for something. The arm holding the gun looks stupid (broken wrist, needs to more turned toward the front), but how she's carrying that sword isn't.
Attachments
1259022568406.jpg