Art Dumpage! Show your art ^^

Questions, skill improvement, and respectful critique involving art assets.
Victoria Jennings
Miko-Class Veteran

Re: Art Dumpage! Show your art ^^

#4396 Post by Victoria Jennings »

chocojax wrote:I still need to draw stuff for collective, orz.
Pfft, take your time. If you ever draw anything for a VN on the approved list, just send it my way.

Starshine
Veteran
Completed: http://berry-melon.blogspot.co.uk/2016/ ... -2016.html
Projects: Pancake Surprise (2016)
Tumblr: http://bettybooplover.tumblr.com
Deviantart: berry-melon
Soundcloud: sweepea-1

#4397 Post by Starshine »

[quote="Mink"]All you guys' art makes me feel ashamed of mine. 8C Not really. Kind of. Anyway. quote]

You shouldn't feel ashamed, we all have our own drawing styles. Some people are just more advanced becuse they draw non-stop and learn the basics of anatomy. One of my friends once told me that if i wanted to try and upgrade my drawing style from "too cartoony" i should go to the library and learn from the basic anatomy tutorial books. "I never did do it" but if you learn from one of those books you can mix anime/manga into your artworks. Anime is well know for those massive cute eyes, and i must admit those eyes really appeal to me.
http://berry-melon.blogspot.com
I'm not resting until I find
What would make your eyes
Glisten like mine
With loves divine!

Boo-Boo I couldn't aspire....to anything...
Higher...than to fill that one desire to make it
My own....Bop-Bop-a-Dop-Boop-Oop-a-Doop honey?

Nuxill
Veteran
Projects: No Friend
Tumblr: nuxill
itch: nuxill

#4398 Post by Nuxill »

Starshine wrote:
Mink wrote:All you guys' art makes me feel ashamed of mine. 8C Not really. Kind of. Anyway.
You shouldn't feel ashamed, we all have our own drawing styles. Some people are just more advanced becuse they draw non-stop and learn the basics of anatomy. One of my friends once told me that if i wanted to try and upgrade my drawing style from "too cartoony" i should go to the library and learn from the basic anatomy tutorial books. "I never did do it" but if you learn from one of those books you can mix anime/manga into your artworks. Anime is well know for those massive cute eyes, and i must admit those eyes really appeal to me.
Also even if someone wants to do cartoony work they should study life drawing. Just because you're learning how to draw from life doesn't mean you have to draw in a realistic style forever. Besides, learning the 'rules' of art will allow you to bend them to your will much more easily. :) For example, Scott Campbell may do be famous for his extremely cartoony style as seen here but he also does artwork that would be extremely hard to do (if not impossible)if he didn't study from life. And for a less contemporary example: Picasso was an excellent painter of realism before he started doing the cubist work that he's famous for.

Mink
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Say You Love Me (Short Version), C!P (NaNo12), Lady Misfortune, NatH, W/K, MtF, SMQ, TBM, TMHK, LoC, MMDG
Projects: Stuff
Organization: Metal Orphans

#4399 Post by Mink »

For some reason, I find it absolutely hilarious that people here suggest drawing from life, when on another forum Gaia if you suggest that, people get all mad at you.

And I'm sad: I forgot my copy of Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain at home. :C

Also
Derek is completely non-chalant while
Susan is getting throttled.
Oh, you.

How do I backgrounds/perspective.
"I will send a fully armed battalion to remind you of my love."

***Say You Love Me***Human Enough***Cheerful!Polymorph [NaNo12][Complete!]***
"Couldn't you stop this?"
"Probably, but I don't want to."

*Website, yo*

Sapphi
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Boku no Taisetsu na Yumeko
Projects: Twelve, PAW ★ PRINTS
Organization: Kitsch-soft

#4400 Post by Sapphi »

Mink wrote:For some reason, I find it absolutely hilarious that people here suggest drawing from life, when on another forum Gaia if you suggest that, people get all mad at you.
Guys, if you're ever on a site where people are doing art, and they start spouting stuff like "REALISM ARE THE DEVIL I DON'T NEED IT TO DRAW ANIMU AND CAR TOONS", RUN AWAY AS FAST AS YOU CAN.

I just watched my Bambi VHS the other night and afterwards they had a special "making of" feature. Guess how they got all those cute cartoon animals to look so doggone cute and cartoony? They brought REAL animals into the studio. There was footage of all the artists crowded around a pedestal scribbling on big sheets of paper with charcoal. On the pedestal was a live skunk.

Drawing from life is the healthiest way to learn to draw. Learning solely from cartoons is artistic incest. If people keep doing this, animation will die.
"It is [the writer's] privilege to help man endure by lifting his heart,
by reminding him of the courage and honor and hope and pride
and compassion and pity and sacrifice which have been the glory of his past."
— William Faulkner
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬..+X+..▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

ThisIsNoName
Veteran

#4401 Post by ThisIsNoName »

Well, I finally got the first sprite for my first game done (well, most of it. I still have to get some more arm positions in). I can really see what people are talking about when they say that you never truly appreciate how much work goes into a VN until you start working on one. Why is this taking so long?!! :(
Attachments
sarah neutral.png

chocojax
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Umbra, Familiarity, Maleficent Justice
Tumblr: chocojax

#4402 Post by chocojax »

Victoria Jennings wrote:Pfft, take your time. If you ever draw anything for a VN on the approved list, just send it my way.
okay )':
Mink wrote:How do I backgrounds/perspective.
Perspective is really easy, imo.
Nuxill wrote:Besides, learning the 'rules' of art will allow you to bend them to your will much more easily.
This, and seeing how Picasso knew how to draw realistically made me force myself to start practicing still life. Best saying.

Auro-Cyanide
ssǝʇunoƆ ʇɹ∀
Completed: http://auro-cyanide.tumblr.com/visualnovels
Projects: Athena
Organization: Cyanide Tea
Tumblr: auro-cyanide
Deviantart: Auro-Cyanide

#4403 Post by Auro-Cyanide »

Mink wrote:How do I backgrounds/perspective.
chocojax wrote:Perspective is really easy, imo.
Well, I wouldn't call it easy. I have known the theory of perspective for a long time all lines converge on the horizon at a vanishing point, easy right? :,D but I've had trouble with it in practice for like forever. People tend to treat it as an absolute when it isn't. Humans didn't even have a theory for it for thousands of years. It's a mathematical way of looking at something for artistic convience, a way to mimic what we see. It isn't how things actually exist in reality. Lines don't really converge, they just look like they do. If your cone of vision is expanded, even if things are perfectly in perspective they will look horribly distorted. And let's not get into the fact that there are infinite vanishing points and weird things called diagonal vanishing points. Basically I have always had a lot of trouble getting the theory to relate to my reality and I get terribly confused.

I would recommend a book called 'Perspective for Comic Book Artists' by David Chelsea. It's done in Scott McCloud's style and while he isn't as funny it's done wonders for my understanding of perspective so far. I guess I like learning things visually.

I also recommend this tool for Photoshop (sorry Mink :( ) by Freddie Williams that creates perspective lines for you, saves a fair bit of time http://fuckingarthowdoesitwork.tumblr.c ... artmedia-a . Though there are a lot of perspective tools out there like grids.

For you Mink, I don't think you would actually see much of a background, mostly just floor since the point of view is looking down.

I'M LEARNING!!!

Celestine
Veteran

#4404 Post by Celestine »

Cool kitchen :D
Iratherbeweird,thencalledstrange.
MydadtaughtmeinLifeEverything[/i]has consequences.Good and Bad actions/decision.

chocojax
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Umbra, Familiarity, Maleficent Justice
Tumblr: chocojax

#4405 Post by chocojax »

Auro-Cyanide wrote: It isn't how things actually exist in reality. Lines don't really converge, they just look like they do. If your cone of vision is expanded, even if things are perfectly in perspective they will look horribly distorted. And let's not get into the fact that there are infinite vanishing points and weird things called diagonal vanishing points.
too much words )':
at least the basics are easy
I always did perspective with just dots and trying to imagine stuff in a blank space, so seeing your example and the video pre-made lines helped me a lot. :v!!

Auro-Cyanide
ssǝʇunoƆ ʇɹ∀
Completed: http://auro-cyanide.tumblr.com/visualnovels
Projects: Athena
Organization: Cyanide Tea
Tumblr: auro-cyanide
Deviantart: Auro-Cyanide

#4406 Post by Auro-Cyanide »

chocojax wrote:
Auro-Cyanide wrote: It isn't how things actually exist in reality. Lines don't really converge, they just look like they do. If your cone of vision is expanded, even if things are perfectly in perspective they will look horribly distorted. And let's not get into the fact that there are infinite vanishing points and weird things called diagonal vanishing points.
too much words )':
at least the basics are easy
I always did perspective with just dots and trying to imagine stuff in a blank space, so seeing your example and the video pre-made lines helped me a lot. :v!!
XD I'm the same. 1 point perspective. Okay got it. 2 point perspective. Okay, easy enough. Things at angles... *brain breaks*
I think one of reasons I have so much trouble with it is you can kind of see it in real life, but as soon as you so much as shift your eyes, it all changes, since the VP is your point of focus. OMG, it can hurt my brain so much. That video and the lines help me a lot. Mostly because I didn't know you could have pen lines can run off the canvas page... so much I don't know about Photoshop.

Fungii
Veteran
Completed: Home's Embrace
Projects: Royality TV
Tumblr: fungiidraws
itch: fungii

#4407 Post by Fungii »

The theory for perspective is pretty simple, but then...
So many lines @__@
I end up getting confused and finding out last second that one of my grids is wonky.

kkffoo
Regular
Completed: Tea For Two [KN]

#4408 Post by kkffoo »

Continuing experiments to adapt 3d machinima to 2d artwork for a VN (inspired by image editing done by second life folks)
Some painting some filtering..problem is it is really hard to get a consistent effect from one image to another.
The second snap is the original image captured within Moviestorm.

MysteriousArtistX
Regular
Projects: A Lifelong Work I'll Eventually Share
Organization: Because Arrrt?

#4409 Post by MysteriousArtistX »

I haven't drawn anything to serious besides sprites and BG lately so I hope some of my digital doodles are alright :)

Here have some sketches of characters from my VN project
ImageImage

And a random buff chic...
"I Believe Everyone Should Have A Game They Can Relate To: That games are an art and no one should be excluded. My games will do this."

azureXtwilight
Megane Procrastinator
Completed: Fantasia series (ROT and ROTA), Doppleganger: Dawn of The Inverted Soul, a2 (a due), Time Labyrinth
Projects: At Regime's End
Organization: Memento-Mori VNs, Team Sleepyhead

#4410 Post by azureXtwilight »

Dumping the art I made for pageviews
promo.jpg