Art Dumpage! Show your art ^^

Questions, skill improvement, and respectful critique involving art assets.
Applegate
Miko-Class Veteran

Re: Art Dumpage! Show your art ^^

#6196 Post by Applegate »

I finally got over my fear of drawing bodies and hands.
Attachments
Trying this again.png

nororin

#6197 Post by nororin »

I mostly draw chibis but I'm hoping I could move on to a non-chibi style this year. But chibis are so cute. I probably won't stop drawing them ; v ;

Here's the most recent I've made.
Attachments
CutieKhidd.png

Deshtat
Regular
Completed: Propel Man ; Galaxy Run
Projects: Reboot
Organization: None yet :/

#6198 Post by Deshtat »

@Applegate

The proportions are okay, if you ask me ^^ The elbow on the right is a little strange though. Although, it took me a while to figure that someone was behind him.

@nonorin

Nice! I really like these clothes ^^

Applegate
Miko-Class Veteran

#6199 Post by Applegate »

Desthtat: I keep hearing that. D:

nororin

#6200 Post by nororin »

@ Applegate
I didn't notice there was someone behind him until Deshtat mentioned it ; v ;
My eyes are playing tricks on me again. I think it's time for me to sleep (@ 2am)

@Deshtat
Me, too! I just love the black/blue combination.
The contrast looks good on small art like chibis and pixel art. o w o

LateWhiteRabbit
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: The Space Between

#6201 Post by LateWhiteRabbit »

This was originally supposed to be a drawing of a "magical girl" like Madoka or Sailor Moon. It didn't end up that way, obviously. This is what happens on a cold day when I let my mind wander while drawing. It ended up as kind of a reminisence of my first kiss, and warm summer days. Done while bundled in scarves and coats inside during some very cold days.

You can see a larger version and a step-by-step creation of this picture by following the link in my signature to my Sketch Process thread.

Michiyo6918
Veteran
Projects: ╮(╯▽╰)╭

#6202 Post by Michiyo6918 »

@LateWhiteRabbit: OMG the color looks so amazing nsdjkas and warm aa * A *

@Nororin: FF Your chibi is so cute and detailed. I can't cell shade to save my life haha

@Applegate: There is a person behind him- Omg I only realized that upon reading Deshtat's comment, I'm sorry ;;;7;;; I thought those arm over his neck was a scarf or smt ndjkasd But seriously you are off to a good start ; v ;

On a side note I've finally found back my motivation for arting (and I can't stop drawing now sobs) I'm trying out some new chibi style.
Zhu Mega Gyarados.png
It was supposed to be a sketch but I ended up coloring it ụ v ụ
Tumblr | DA | Honest Critique
“如果那个人是神。
他想渎神。
——【黑匣子】”

akemicchi
Veteran
Projects: Magicians of Delphine, Panaderia: Ensaimada, SweetTooth!, XOXO Droplets
Deviantart: littlebabyshoes

#6203 Post by akemicchi »

Auro-Cyanide wrote:This might help you http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJWLaDSNBAI :)
That is the most amazing piece of advice I have ever heard. orz Thank you so much for showing me this; I'm going to abuse it like no tomorrow. Haha.
LateWhiteRabbit wrote:.... however, my secret technique is redrawing it till it looks right! Then discover half-way through coloring that it still looks kind of wonky and redrawing it again. Curse my inefficiency!
That's my way too haha |-D

Oh, and very nice drawing! I noticed though that the lighting of the face and the body is different, though. The face's source of light is towards the front while the body is the top left. I also like your use of blue on the skin, hat, and ice cream, but its missing from the hair and bikini. You could put it there, too-- purple is especially nice with reds. :D I'd also suggest as more contrast between midtone and the shadows, such as the neck and the forehead. I'm only saying this because the midtone & shadows of the ice cream contrasts more prominently with one another while everything else seems to blend more smoothly. Turning the picture black and white is a good way to check contrasts. ovob It's very nice though, seriously.

@ Applegate
It's tough drawing a straight-on shot of someone hugging someone from behind. Maybe if you changed it so their bodies are angled a little bit? If not, you should put less empty space between the head and neck of the person in the front, so it'd be more noticeable that someone was behind them. The shoulders of the person standing behind should be set higher than the one in front since their arms will go over their shoulders. This'll get rid of the space, too.

I like the hands though! Good job! :D Just keep at it, and don't be afraid of them! They look nice so far!

@ nororin
That's an incredibly cute chibi. I'm jealous of your neat coloring and your decision to use that sweet color scheme. ;_;

@ Michiyo6918
omg, she's adorable. But if she's a Gyarados, why is her color scheme red and black? Not that it doesn't look nice; I'm just wondering. :D

noeinan
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Ren'Py QuickStart, Crimson Rue
Organization: Statistically Unlikely Games
Deviantart: noeinan
Github: noeinan

#6204 Post by noeinan »

Some muscle practice after watching one of the videos from the guy Auro-Cyanide posted earlier. Not perfect, but I can now say I can draw someone without skin.

LateWhiteRabbit
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: The Space Between

#6205 Post by LateWhiteRabbit »

akemicchi wrote: Oh, and very nice drawing! I noticed though that the lighting of the face and the body is different, though. The face's source of light is towards the front while the body is the top left. I also like your use of blue on the skin, hat, and ice cream, but its missing from the hair and bikini. You could put it there, too-- purple is especially nice with reds. :D I'd also suggest as more contrast between midtone and the shadows, such as the neck and the forehead. I'm only saying this because the midtone & shadows of the ice cream contrasts more prominently with one another while everything else seems to blend more smoothly. Turning the picture black and white is a good way to check contrasts. ovob It's very nice though, seriously.
Thanks. And absolutely correct on the lighting issues. I may do another refining pass on it sometime. I kept going back and forth on the ice cream shading. I wanted to go for a more bright and diffuse lighting scheme, but the ice cream shadows are more harsh than everything else. I probably repainted that stupid ice cream 4 or 5 times. :lol: I mean, technically, if we just have the one strong light source, her whole body should be in a core shadow, but I cheated, and assumed she's getting a ton of bounce lighting back off, say, water. So, yeah, another lighting pass would serve it well, but I wanted to move on to new pictures. Maybe another day, ice cream. Maybe another day.

Thanks for the feedback. It always helps!

nororin

#6206 Post by nororin »

@ akemicchi
Wait 'til you see how I actually color! It doesn't look good on chibis so I kinda forced myself to make it as neat as I could. ; v ;

@ Michiyo6918
Thanks! It took me some months before I can actually cel shade. I didn't really know how to cel shade at first. ╥ ^ ╥

Here's something I did last month. It's my entry for a contest on GO so they're not my characters.
That's how I color. The lineart is rushed though...
Attachments
QuiteBubblyEntry.jpg

Fungii
Veteran
Completed: Home's Embrace
Projects: Royality TV
Tumblr: fungiidraws
itch: fungii

#6207 Post by Fungii »

Woooah, that's rushed lineart? You'll have to tell me your secrets.

Also, I love your colouring style. It's something I've always wanted to be able to do myself :shock:

Michiyo6918
Veteran
Projects: ╮(╯▽╰)╭

#6208 Post by Michiyo6918 »

@akaemicchi: thank you so much fneajif Ah yes, she is a gyarados, but she is the mega evolution of Gyarados. You know in X and Y, certain pokemon can evolve another state via mega stone? XD

http://fc05.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2013/ ... 6r11fl.png
That one is a mega Gyarados. Her dress is black because of Mega Gyarados's black belly LMFAO and there is some red because of some red stripes on the pokemon.

@nororin: OMG ndeaojd lemme cry over your beautiful art sobs that coloring is so beautiful and rushed lineart? It took me hours to get lineart as neat as you haha //cries a river//
Tumblr | DA | Honest Critique
“如果那个人是神。
他想渎神。
——【黑匣子】”

nororin

#6209 Post by nororin »

@ Fungii
Thank you!! >///<
The secret? Make your canvas really, really big. If I remember it right, I think the original size I used for that one is exactly 4000px in width. Once I started coloring, I shrunk it down to 2000px width. ; v ;
I was under the care of a very strict art teacher (aka my step dad). He wouldn't let me use crayons unless he gives me an okay with my drawings. A lot of tongue-lashing for just a single line....not a good memory for me //sob

@ Michiyo6918
Oh you flatter me~ ๑>ᴗ<๑
I think my lineart is still a little sloppy. There's a bunch of artists I like on pixiv and I usually compare their drawings to mine. I'm like "THIS!! I need to be like this!" all the time so yeah I just can't be satisfied. ╥ v ╥

Applegate
Miko-Class Veteran

#6210 Post by Applegate »

nororin wrote:@ Applegate
I didn't notice there was someone behind him until Deshtat mentioned it ; v ;
My eyes are playing tricks on me again. I think it's time for me to sleep (@ 2am)
No one sees the second person, don't worry about it. :P
@ Applegate
It's tough drawing a straight-on shot of someone hugging someone from behind. Maybe if you changed it so their bodies are angled a little bit? If not, you should put less empty space between the head and neck of the person in the front, so it'd be more noticeable that someone was behind them. The shoulders of the person standing behind should be set higher than the one in front since their arms will go over their shoulders. This'll get rid of the space, too.

I like the hands though! Good job! :D Just keep at it, and don't be afraid of them! They look nice so far!
I tried doing a 3/4th, but it went bad so I am too embarrassed to show it, haha. I'll think about that, thanks.