Art Dumpage! Show your art ^^

Questions, skill improvement, and respectful critique involving art assets.
Sakurazaki
Veteran
Projects: Aquae ~CCW~, Consonance

Re: Art Dumpage! Show your art ^^

#1291 Post by Sakurazaki »

Random art collage. All characters drawn there were drawn/designed by me. :3
Attachments
Random collage
Random collage
ARC I - Summer Lights: Image
ARC II - Ocean Tide: Image

Vatina
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Blue Rose, AO: Broken Memories, My Eternal Rival, Dust
Projects: AO: Fallen Star
Organization: White Cat
IRC Nick: Vatina
Tumblr: vatinyan
Deviantart: Vatina
itch: whitecat

#1292 Post by Vatina »

That looks great! I especially like the top-right one :D

Sapphire Dragon
Regular

#1293 Post by Sapphire Dragon »

I picture I started. I wanted to go into more detail with it but I just get bored whenever I go back to this one for some reason so ill leave it as it is.
Attachments
someguy.jpg
Deeplake: backgrounds= 45 (0 en) frames=149 (0 en)
fullscreen pics= 38 (0 en) Character pics= 191 (15 en) Trailer:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TupfPglEe04
Portfolio:http://www.sapphire-nest.co.uk iDreams Game: http://www.pop-fiction.net

honoreixix
Regular

#1294 Post by honoreixix »

I'm hidden and no one expects much of me... I just hope I don't disappoint anyone...
I'd rather fail doing something I love than succeed doing something I hate...

Sakurazaki
Veteran

#1295 Post by Sakurazaki »

Blargh still getting used to the tablet...and still not used to coloring but oh well. >.>' Done for someone as a request.
Attachments
Art someone requested
Art someone requested

azureXtwilight
Megane Procrastinator
Completed: Fantasia series (ROT and ROTA), Doppleganger: Dawn of The Inverted Soul, a2 (a due), Time Labyrinth
Projects: At Regime's End
Organization: Memento-Mori VNs, Team Sleepyhead

#1296 Post by azureXtwilight »

kYUUHUUUU....
More dumpin'!
This is made by CorelDraw12
fantasia.jpg
AYAYAY!

sake-bento
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: http://sakevisual.com/games.html
Projects: Every Sunrise, Shinsei
Organization: sakevisual
Tumblr: sakevisual
Deviantart: sakevisual
itch: sakevisual

#1297 Post by sake-bento »

A quick preview of a piece I'm doing with my brother Kiyo. The lines aren't completely cleaned up yet and obviously I haven't made a background. But um...I'm still alive. Really. owo
Attachments
Ayu and Kiyo - Kodomo Version
Ayu and Kiyo - Kodomo Version

Cybeat
Miko-Class Veteran

#1298 Post by Cybeat »

Haha. I like that picture. Not alot of detail, but I like it that way. It's a shame that in my drawing class, anime is not allowed to be drawn. I was so pissed. He's dishoring my people's culture.
Mujinchitai
http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... =16&t=3360
Current Status: artist of R.E.M: Reality's Dream and musician, programmer, and writer of Mujinchitai

Jake
Support Hero

#1299 Post by Jake »

Cybeat wrote:It's a shame that in my drawing class, anime is not allowed to be drawn. I was so pissed. He's dishoring my people's culture.
There's two sides to this, and one of them has nothing to do with dishonouring anyone's culture. Actually, neither have anything to do with dishonouring anyone's culture, fundamentally.

Firstly, you don't really get a good understanding of anatomy from drawing manga-style stuff, you get a good understanding of anatomy from drawing realism. You need a good understanding of anatomy to draw people in pretty much any form, no matter how stylised, so it is pretty useful to learn to draw in a realist style before trying to get good at other more-abstract styles such as the stereotypical manga style. Picasso was an excellent realist sketch artist before he turned to cubism; E.E. Cummings understood English grammar pretty well. So you art teacher is quite possibly not preventing you from drawing anime because he hates Japanese stuff (ask them what they think of Hokusai!), but because he thinks you're not going to learn much if you draw in that manner.

Secondly, I attended two different secondary schools each with a large art department, and I only ever met one art teacher between them who wasn't an elitist traditionalist close-minded arsehole. Seriously, I got told things like:
"Nothing produced on a computer could ever be art."
"Escher isn't really art, he's geometry."
"Lino printing is interesting, but really it's graphics, not art."
My last art teacher before I gave up the subject in favour of SCIENCE was of the opinion that the only really great artists were the French impressionists and the cubists, and everyone else was a hack. Cezanne, Picasso and Monet were Proper Artists; everyone else was just playing around. He wore a beret to lessons. I'm totally serious.
Summary: It's not because it's Japanese that it's frowned upon, it's because it's pop-art, and pop-art is never accepted as real art by pretentious traditionalist elitists until practically everyone who creates like that is dead. Art Noveau has been accepted, Andy Warhol and Jasper Johns are on the verge of acceptance (Johns has the temerity to still be alive!), manga is totally not.
Server error: user 'Jake' not found

Cybeat
Miko-Class Veteran

#1300 Post by Cybeat »

@Jake: Thanks for the lessons. Well, in my class, my teacher said "create a cartoon or comic character." He even showed us an example, using an alien-like character (which isn't realism, right?). He also told us to scale our characters. I did everything he said, until he looked at my paper and said "no animes!" and replaced my character's face with a gorilla's face. I would understand if he explained why I couldn't draw anime, but he never did.
Mujinchitai
http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... =16&t=3360
Current Status: artist of R.E.M: Reality's Dream and musician, programmer, and writer of Mujinchitai

LVUER
King of Lolies
Completed: R.S.P

#1301 Post by LVUER »

Sakurazaki
You have difficulties with tablet? But your drawing is good.

Sake-Bento
Kyaa... Your drawing is really cute. I wonder if they are BF and GF or just brother/sister ^_^

Cybeat
Well, may be your teacher has a grudge to anime? And may be your teacher can't draw anime style... I too, when I was about seven years old, I want to practice drawing more realistic tree and said it to my drawing teacher... and he only taught me how to draw bubble tree (well, he teach children's drawing). The day after, I quit.

Sakurazaki
Veteran

#1302 Post by Sakurazaki »

Well my tablet still lags a bit. D: It's still annoying. I have to go over the lines multiple times because there's line breaks in some of the lines D: I prefer pencil/paper still But Tablet for coloring.

sake-bento
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: http://sakevisual.com/games.html
Projects: Every Sunrise, Shinsei
Organization: sakevisual
Tumblr: sakevisual
Deviantart: sakevisual
itch: sakevisual

#1303 Post by sake-bento »

Cybeat wrote:Haha. I like that picture. Not alot of detail, but I like it that way. It's a shame that in my drawing class, anime is not allowed to be drawn. I was so pissed. He's dishoring my people's culture.
I was going for a simple innocent child-like style for this one. Because it's from their childhood. ^.^ That's too bad that you're not allowed that style, but every teacher has their own reasons for things.
LVUER wrote:Sake-Bento
Kyaa... Your drawing is really cute. I wonder if they are BF and GF or just brother/sister ^_^
Twins just happen to be really close... ;_;

azureXtwilight
Megane Procrastinator
Completed: Fantasia series (ROT and ROTA), Doppleganger: Dawn of The Inverted Soul, a2 (a due), Time Labyrinth
Projects: At Regime's End
Organization: Memento-Mori VNs, Team Sleepyhead

#1304 Post by azureXtwilight »

Cybeat wrote:Haha. I like that picture. Not alot of detail, but I like it that way. It's a shame that in my drawing class, anime is not allowed to be drawn. I was so pissed. He's dishoring my people's culture.
Really?
That's contrary with my teacher, he likes anime. Our homework today is making a simlpe manga.
But my previous one don't :P
Well, if that's his personality, you can't change that.
But just stay so calm, stay calm...
After school's over, draw manga to rip off your anger!
yay! XD

Vatina
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Blue Rose, AO: Broken Memories, My Eternal Rival, Dust
Projects: AO: Fallen Star
Organization: White Cat
IRC Nick: Vatina
Tumblr: vatinyan
Deviantart: Vatina
itch: whitecat

#1305 Post by Vatina »

@ Cybeat: I think it's like that in many places where art is taught. Mainly of the reasons Jake mentioned - I guess right now people think it's just a lame "craze" and they don't take it seriously. There is pretty good animation/art school here that I considered applying to, but they also directly said "no manga in your portfolio, or you won't get in!" :P