Greeny's Guide to Art Commissions

Questions, skill improvement, and respectful critique involving art assets.
Dream
Regular

Re: Greeny's Guide to Art Commissions

#16 Post by Dream »

I just wanted to emphatically thank Mr. Greeny, WhiteRabbit and other contributors for all the information in this thread. All the help and advice in here is really outstanding and i'm extremely glad i read this before starting commissions. Stickying was certainly a great idea.

I'm also in the same boat as Chibisaso (i live in Paraguay though) and i do have to admit it leaves me rather worried for my future as comissioner, specially since i came to somewhat rely on that income for future plans.

Chibisaso
Regular
Projects: Their Happy Ending

#17 Post by Chibisaso »

Dream wrote:I just wanted to emphatically thank Mr. Greeny, WhiteRabbit and other contributors for all the information in this thread. All the help and advice in here is really outstanding and i'm extremely glad i read this before starting commissions. Stickying was certainly a great idea.

I'm also in the same boat as Chibisaso (i live in Paraguay though) and i do have to admit it leaves me rather worried for my future as comissioner, specially since i came to somewhat rely on that income for future plans.
you can actually pay to Paypal accounts without having to sign up, tho I wouldn't know much about the protection if someone scammed you and stuff.

I have made my searching and this was the best I found 2CheckOut.com, basically Paypal users can pay to your 2CO account, I'm not sure if you can do it vice versa but you can look into it more ~ tho I would like to warn people that there are some really bad reviews about it, it's a 50 50 risk so you should check it first before going on ahead and sign up to take a good decision.

fortunately for me I have just found out that Paypal actually opened it's service in Egypt just a couple of months ago :DD, I would still like to help anyone with issues related to this so I'll keep subscribed and try to help anyone as much as I can <3

Greeny
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: The Loop, The Madness
Projects: In Orbit, TBA
Organization: Gliese Productions

#18 Post by Greeny »

When it comes to financial matters, I really couldn't recommend using a service that has less than terrific reviews.
I'm glad to hear that Paypal opened its service to Egypyt though! I hope other countries will soon follow.
In Orbit [WIP] | Gliese is now doing weekly erratic VN reviews! The latest: Halloween Otome!
Gliese Productions | Facebook | Twitter

Exaelia
Regular

#19 Post by Exaelia »

Oh jeez. You guys, don't forget about the people like me! I'm only fifteen, like my mommy would let me get PayPal?! Hah. Well, anyway, I tried to open up for commissions and I was told by at least 20 people told me I wasn't good enough. And to this day I still truly believe that. Well, I'm not here to go on about my patheticness. I digress. Anyway, for people like me, what would I do?
"If I cared what people think, I would have dyed my hair black."
~Kurosaki Ichigo

MaiMai
Yandere
Completed: [Phase Shift]
Projects: [ None ]
Organization: Paper Stars
Tumblr: maiscribbles
Deviantart: maiscribble

#20 Post by MaiMai »

Exaelia wrote:Oh jeez. You guys, don't forget about the people like me! I'm only fifteen, like my mommy would let me get PayPal?! Hah. Well, anyway, I tried to open up for commissions and I was told by at least 20 people told me I wasn't good enough. And to this day I still truly believe that. Well, I'm not here to go on about my patheticness. I digress. Anyway, for people like me, what would I do?
You could technically still open a personal PayPal without parental permission (although I opened one up when I was 18, I'm not sure what's the policy if you're under that age).

And the only thing to do in your case is to just improve your artwork? No one here knows what your work looks like so it's hard to gauge your skill level and if anyone would want to buy your work in the first place.

EDIT: Okay, I looked at your gallery. All I see are bases you've drawn over and you simply don't have enough original work that shows a skill level people would want to invest in. Seriously compare your work to what's out there already and ask yourself what people pay for and why.
Last edited by MaiMai on Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Image COMMISSIONS AVAILABLE (check Tumblr sidebar)

Exaelia
Regular

#21 Post by Exaelia »

MaiMai wrote:
Exaelia wrote:Oh jeez. You guys, don't forget about the people like me! I'm only fifteen, like my mommy would let me get PayPal?! Hah. Well, anyway, I tried to open up for commissions and I was told by at least 20 people told me I wasn't good enough. And to this day I still truly believe that. Well, I'm not here to go on about my patheticness. I digress. Anyway, for people like me, what would I do?
You could technically still open a personal PayPal without parental permission (although I opened one up when I was 18, I'm not sure what's the policy if you're under that age).

And the only thing to do in your case is to just improve your artwork? No one here knows what your work looks like so it's hard to gauge your skill level and if anyone would want to buy your work in the first place.
Oh, heh, well. I don't have much to post because the stuff I have online is mostly used bases. The artwork that I draw myself I usually tear it to pieces after I finish it.
~Kurosaki Ichigo

MaiMai
Yandere

#22 Post by MaiMai »

Exaelia wrote: Oh, heh, well. I don't have much to post because the stuff I have online is mostly used bases. The artwork that I draw myself I usually tear it to pieces after I finish it.
So what you're saying is that you don't have actual confidence in what you put down on paper? That's why you're not improving and why you won't be able to get to the point where your drawings can be offered as commissions. And to improve, you need to be receptive to critique and advice on how to make your art better.

I think the best advice I can give here is to look at our Recruitment section and look at the artists who are offering commissions. See what they have what you don't that people are willing to pay for and then figure out how you can get to that level.

Exaelia
Regular

#23 Post by Exaelia »

MaiMai wrote:
Exaelia wrote: Oh, heh, well. I don't have much to post because the stuff I have online is mostly used bases. The artwork that I draw myself I usually tear it to pieces after I finish it.
So what you're saying is that you don't have actual confidence in what you put down on paper? That's why you're not improving and why you won't be able to get to the point where your drawings can be offered as commissions. And to improve, you need to be receptive to critique and advice on how to make your art better.

I think the best advice I can give here is to look at our Recruitment section and look at the artists who are offering commissions. See what they have what you don't that people are willing to pay for and then figure out how you can get to that level.
But... I just... I dunno... /).(\
~Kurosaki Ichigo

MaiMai
Yandere

#24 Post by MaiMai »

I'm just going to be straight with you Exaelia. Your response of, "I dunno," is not something anyone who pays for art wants to hear. It doesn't show dedication or serious thought towards art in general. In art you're going to struggle. You're going to mess up. You are going to make stupid, ugly, horrible, crap, and wonder if you actually have any talent in drawing.

What will help you improve and become better is criticism and input from others. I would not have improved in digital art or art in general if I didn't receive great advice from really good artists on this forum a few years ago (and I did my own research and kept drawing every day when possible). If you're serious about wanting to draw you need to take action to get better before you even think about commissions.

Exaelia
Regular

#25 Post by Exaelia »

MaiMai wrote:I'm just going to be straight with you Exaelia. Your response of, "I dunno," is not something anyone who pays for art wants to hear. It doesn't show dedication or serious thought towards art in general. In art you're going to struggle. You're going to mess up. You are going to make stupid, ugly, horrible, crap, and wonder if you actually have any talent in drawing.

What will help you improve and become better is criticism and input from others. I would not have improved in digital art or art in general if I didn't receive great advice from really good artists on this forum a few years ago (and I did my own research and kept drawing every day when possible). If you're serious about wanting to draw you need to take action to get better before you even think about commissions.
Bleh, I want to do my best, but when I try my best I feel like it's not enough.
~Kurosaki Ichigo

AxemRed
Veteran

#26 Post by AxemRed »

Exaelia wrote:I'm only fifteen, ...
People under the age of 18 can't engage in contracts, so hiring you would be impossible anyway.

Exaelia
Regular

#27 Post by Exaelia »

AxemRed wrote:
Exaelia wrote:I'm only fifteen, ...
People under the age of 18 can't engage in contracts, so hiring you would be impossible anyway.
Yay... TT^TT
~Kurosaki Ichigo

Greeny
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: The Loop, The Madness
Projects: In Orbit, TBA
Organization: Gliese Productions

#28 Post by Greeny »

Strictly speaking, it varies per country, and it's highly unlikely you'll be engaging in any "legal" contracts as a first-time amateur art freelancer.

Just remember, the NSA is watching.
In Orbit [WIP] | Gliese is now doing weekly erratic VN reviews! The latest: Halloween Otome!
Gliese Productions | Facebook | Twitter

Taleweaver
Writing Maniac
Completed: Metropolitan Blues, The Loyal Kinsman, Daemonophilia, The Dreaming, The Thirteenth Year, Adrift, Bionic Heart 2, Secrets of the Wolf, The Photographer
Projects: The Pilgrim's Path, Elspeth's Garden, Secret Adventure Game!
Organization: Tall Tales Productions

#29 Post by Taleweaver »

However, there is a large demand for artists working for free, on free games. Maybe that could be a good way for you?
Scriptwriter and producer of Metropolitan Blues
Creator of The Loyal Kinsman
Scriptwriter and director of Daemonophilia
Scriptwriter and director of The Dreaming
Scriptwriter of Zenith Chronicles
Scriptwriter and director of The Thirteenth Year
Scriptwriter and director of Romance is Dead
Scriptwriter and producer of Adrift
More about me in my blog
"Adrift - Like Ever17, but without the Deus Ex Machina" - HigurashiKira

Exaelia
Regular