Protecting your artwork?

Questions, skill improvement, and respectful critique involving art assets.
Duskylli
Regular
Completed: The Mishka Effect, Fairly Dangerous.
Projects: Palette Swap

Protecting your artwork?

#1 Post by Duskylli »

Hi! I was just wondering if anyone knew any good methods for protecting online artwork. I was thinking about watermarking some of my photographs before uploading them. I've seen some people watermark a logo in the corner of their photos but this can be cropped easily. Some people also find watermarks distracting and think that it spoils the picture.

Does anyone worry about their online artwork being stolen? Honestly I don't think that my photographs are that great. Its just that I was thinking of making a DA account with stock photos that people can use for non-commercial purposes as well as non stock photos and drawings. My intention is to watermark the non stock photos so that they don't get confused with the stock photos. Any thoughts on this?

TheGuraGuraMan
Veteran

Re: Protecting your artwork?

#2 Post by TheGuraGuraMan »

Who would want to steal your artworks anyway ?

Just set a sample or write your name somewhere on the image and you're done.

TsukiShima
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Heartful Memory

#3 Post by TsukiShima »

TheGuraGuraMan wrote:Who would want to steal your artworks anyway ?
Sadly, there are. But mostly it will happen to popular artist or the pro. But I guess it doesn't hurt to be careful.
But from what I know, DA is a full of troll alright, but there are some people who accidentally and kind enough to stumble upon a stolen artwork and report to the original artist.

Watermarks or signs are the main option. You're right about cropping, so if you want to be safe, try placing the watermarks onto or right beside the characters (or the main focus) in your artwork. Save the clean artwork for yourself. Also, in case someone do steal your artwork and claim it as their own, save your working file as well; it will be a crucial proof. You can also resize your clean picture to a small size, to ensure they don't get the best quality. I guess it's also important that you mention it publicly somewhere in you description or comment section whether it's for free use or not.

It's also safe that if you have a style everyone can recognize.

...I guess, that's it? I'm sure there's other methods, but that's what mainly artists do.

dramspringfeald
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: The Echo, CBlue, Safety_Dance

#4 Post by dramspringfeald »

Well if you are looking to Watermark your work, Watermark Tutorial (I would have posted the picture but the net here sucks)

===
But I've found simply writing "Property of "X" Do not Copy or redistribute" in the bottom Right or Left tends to work.
Don't be a Poser! Learn to Draw
Learn to Draw with Stan Lee
Learn to Draw with Mark Crilley
If you want you can brows my art. My art can be found at...FA // IB // DA Neglected for a few years so I'm just now updating it

Learn to break a bone to break a bone,
Learn to build a house to build a house,
Learn to make a Game to make a Game.

TsukiShima
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Heartful Memory

#5 Post by TsukiShima »

dramspringfeald wrote:Well if you are looking to Watermark your work, Watermark Tutorial
That's what Duskylli was saying.
Duskylli wrote:I've seen some people watermark a logo in the corner of their photos but this can be cropped easily. Some people also find watermarks distracting and think that it spoils the picture.
It's true, sometimes these people are smart; they're good at editing pictures. Trust me, you'll see a lot in tumblr (but fortunately nowadays they source back to the original artwork, but still). They'll edit the colors or some part of the photos, remove the watermarks and claim that it's their artwork after receiving praises. I've seen an artist in deviantart.com, where the artist's commissioned artworks was stolen by a company. They edited the pictures and placed it in a box of their merchandise. That really shocked me. They changed some minor details but from the style and source, it was obvious the artworks belonged to the artist, and they used them without permission.

nyaatrap
Crawling Chaos

#6 Post by nyaatrap »

Isn't caring it just wast of time? Making your artwork public on the internet already proved what is the original.
Pirating or copying are different matter anyway. There's no way to prevent them, Only you can do is sue them after they make money of your work.

dramspringfeald
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: The Echo, CBlue, Safety_Dance

#7 Post by dramspringfeald »

I just tend to keep my art in the "please just link it back to me" yard and let them have at it. (I'm a whore for free art)
Don't be a Poser! Learn to Draw
Learn to Draw with Stan Lee
Learn to Draw with Mark Crilley
If you want you can brows my art. My art can be found at...FA // IB // DA Neglected for a few years so I'm just now updating it

Learn to break a bone to break a bone,
Learn to build a house to build a house,
Learn to make a Game to make a Game.

Duskylli
Regular
Completed: The Mishka Effect, Fairly Dangerous.
Projects: Palette Swap

#8 Post by Duskylli »

TheGuraGuraMan wrote:Who would want to steal your artworks anyway ?

Just set a sample or write your name somewhere on the image and you're done.
Yeah my drawings are pretty bad... But coz I'll be having free stock photos and non stock photos I just wanted to make it obvious which is which so some aren't taken by mistake. Sounds like you're ok with watermarks then, thanks.
TsukiShima wrote:
Sadly, there are. But mostly it will happen to popular artist or the pro. But I guess it doesn't hurt to be careful.
But from what I know, DA is a full of troll alright, but there are some people who accidentally and kind enough to stumble upon a stolen artwork and report to the original artist.
Yeah I thought it was weird when a popular DA artist's art was stolen and sold at a convention and her attitude was just 'well I'm not losing any money from it'. She prefers to not watermark or sign pictures to let people enjoy the picture without distractions. Her work is amazing but she doesn't think its worth signing.
dramspringfeald wrote:Well if you are looking to Watermark your work, Watermark Tutorial (I would have posted the picture but the net here sucks)

===
But I've found simply writing "Property of "X" Do not Copy or redistribute" in the bottom Right or Left tends to work.
Lol Dram xD I choose the pic on the right.
TsukiShima wrote: I've seen an artist in deviantart.com, where the artist's commissioned artworks was stolen by a company. They edited the pictures and placed it in a box of their merchandise. That really shocked me. They changed some minor details but from the style and source, it was obvious the artworks belonged to the artist, and they used them without permission.
You'd think that they'd just commission the artist directly. D:<
nyaatrap wrote:Isn't caring it just wast of time? Making your artwork public on the internet already proved what is the original.
Pirating or copying are different matter anyway. There's no way to prevent them, Only you can do is sue them after they make money of your work.
I assumed that most people would care about having their art taken if they spent years studying in the field, or had an attachment to their work and put a lot of time and effort into each piece. For example a bird photographer on DA does care about people downloading his pictures and thinks about how much he would've made for each download. He aims to be a wildlife photographer and is struggling to find a job in the field. For me I don't think I would care too much because its just a hobby for me and photos are a quick point and click job. People can reblog your artwork multiple times without sourcing the original artist. Suing people over the internet is a waste of time an effort.

@Dram & Tsuki- So I might try watermarking to compare download rates. Thanks for the watermarking tips I have a better idea on how to approach watermarking now.